Good Historical Movies

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

JED wrote:I don't think Luther was all that accurate. He really ddin't protray Luther as he was. Luther was a great man but he was troubled, anti semitic man. I think they could have been more accurate. I have some more proof but it is late so I can get some more tommorow.
I am well aware of that--however, you need to keep in mind he displayed an anti-semitic behavior only late in his life, which was quite a while after the end of the timeline shown in the movie.

So it was historically accurate as it didn't get that far in his life. The only historical inaccuracy was the Peasant Wars, and that was to keep that part of history from taking up too much screen time.

edit--I checked, and the two anti-semitic writings of his were written in 1543, three years before his death. Compare that to 54 volumes of his writings where anti-semitism is absent, and even the opposite opinions present, and it's clear that wasn't a large part of his life.

I'm not defending him--it is true I think highly of him and I think he did a lot of good, but he was a fallible human being and wasn't perfect and this is one area I break rank with him. I just wanted to point out that it's not nearly as big a deal as people try to make it out to be.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

I wasn't bashing Luther. I was bashing the movie because they could have represented him a little better. That's all.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

JED wrote:I wasn't bashing Luther. I was bashing the movie because they could have represented him a little better. That's all.
I didn't think you were--I just wanted to clarify some things :)

I'll also grant you that--they do "romanticize" him a bit. But then again, that could be said about most historical movies and their heroes.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

Yeah your right about that they do have a tendency to "romanticize" them quite a bit.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Glory was a great movie! I loved it! I want to see the movie directed by the director of Glory which I think is called Defiance. It looks cool.

-Robo
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I have not seen the movie, but I hear Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is pretty good. I have read all the books, which are extremely well written (minus language >_>). If you like 19th-Century naval warfare then you might like this. ;)
Sweetie
Found

Post by Sweetie »

You just have to see The Long Trailer!It's with Lucille Ball and her hunsband..it is such a funny movie..and it's color \:D/
Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around....
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Sweetie wrote:You just have to see The Long Trailer!It's with Lucille Ball and her hunsband..it is such a funny movie..and it's color \:D/
Now that's a historical movie if I ever saw one. \:D/

And it's in colour, so there's no way I&L can refuse it! \:D/
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I forgot a movie originally--a lot of people mentioned Glory, which is definitely on my list.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

Yeah The Patriot was good but it was not historically accurate.
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Oh! I forgot one. And I can't believe it, because it's one of my favorite movies, historical or otherwise. It's called The Scarlet Pimpernel
It's set during the French Revolution, and it stars Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian McKellan (who played Gandalf in LOTR).

The main character is Sir Percival Blakeney, Baronet. He is one of the richest men in England, and is considered to be the most foppish, inane, idle buffoon in the country. However, that is just a front for his true personality - a courageous, brilliant hero who often goes to France to rescue falsely imprisoned aristocrats from "Madame la Guillotine".

He masterminds many ingenious escapes under the name "The Scarlet Pimpernel", but along the way, he falls in love with Marguerite St. Just, a Parisian actress. His love for her makes hiding his secret life difficult. Further complicating matters is the Revolutionary-supporting villain, Chauvelin. He is played by McKellan, who gives a wonderfully convincing performance.

But the real star of the show is still Percy Blakeney. He is hysterically funny when he's pretending to be an idiot, and he's compelling when he's playing the rescuer. It's a drama, a comedy, and an adventure all in one, and it has the best swordfight I've ever seen (including the Princess Bride, and that's saying something). Seriously, this is not one to miss.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

But my favorite historical movie of all time has to be Darkman! :D
Lol
-Robo
Jaina Sal Solo
I've been here a bit

Post by Jaina Sal Solo »

I liked Braveheart. I was only allowed to see part of it though because it was so violent. :(
Related to: JED (unfortunately)

I am the ultimate Star Wars fan. (like my big bro)
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Solo kid wrote:I liked Braveheart. I was only allowed to see part of it though because it was so violent. :(
That's sad. :(
Jaina Sal Solo
I've been here a bit

Post by Jaina Sal Solo »

Not really it was pretty violent...

Any other historical movies?
Related to: JED (unfortunately)

I am the ultimate Star Wars fan. (like my big bro)
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Tae Guk Gi - The Korean War

That's a very good one, I just finished watching it, actually. It's very gory and has language. ClearPlay may make the movie very.... short. :anxious: Many sequences of the plot occur around and surrounded by violence and gore.
The story is amazing and very touching. Makes me cry.

I was going to say, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but they beat me to it. Prince Caspian should be mentioned. \:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Tae Guk Gi - The Korean War

That's a very good one, I just finished watching it, actually. It's very gory and has language. ClearPlay may make the movie very.... short. :anxious: Many sequences of the plot occur around and surrounded by violence and gore.
The story is amazing and very touching. Makes me cry.

I was going to say, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but they beat me to it. Prince Caspian should be mentioned. \:D/
I haven't seen that yet myself but I've heard really good things.

How about Dawn of the Dead? :-k