Moving out...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Oh dear Jonathan, I sincerely hope you drive with her instead of making her follow you in a separate vehicle... I know from experience how scary THAT can be *shivers*
*chuckles* Run one red light, and you pay for it forever ;)
I think there's a saying: people who ran a stop sign on their driver's test shouldn't throw stones at people who missed seeing a red light. ;)

Arwen, I hope that everything is going well! I'm sure that it will all seem crazy for a while, but as you make friends and get settled into a routine, it will be better. Of course, long phone calls home are a necessity! \:D/
Lizzy
Not Implemented

Post by Lizzy »

Jonathan wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Oh dear Jonathan, I sincerely hope you drive with her instead of making her follow you in a separate vehicle... I know from experience how scary THAT can be *shivers*
Well it might depend on who's around when you run a light... and as for Catspaw's comment... I don't think hitting the tree on your driveway is any smarter than running a stop sign as a result of nerves. Besides the driving instructor was more interesting to look at than the stop sign. \:D/
It's good to visit again... it's been a while!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Well, this thread just got much more interesting ;) (though I very vaguely remember hearing those stories before)
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

Hah... I am planning on going to a university in the Dallas area (that means that COT will probably pester me. 0_o No complaints there.) which is more than 20 hours from where I live right now. I have a little less than a year. It is sneaking up on me.
Do you believe in the couch?
Hope
You like me! You really like me!
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

Jonathan wrote:
do you think you will ever live that down? i dont think so
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Hope wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
That's not quite as bad as driving up onto the curb while parallel parking on your drivers test... :anxious:
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

Hope wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
That's right, Hope! You keep that grudge! Bad Jonathan! :x I mean... sounds like there is a story there... :-
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

hubcap wrote:
Hope wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
That's right, Hope! You keep that grudge! Bad Jonathan! :x I mean... sounds like there is a story there... :-
*likes telling stories* Yes there is ^_^

At the Minnesota Convention (over two years ago already) we decided to all go to church together the next morning (which happened to be Sunday). Gimp was going to meet us there, and I was going to meet Catspaw, Lizzy, and EC at their hotel, and they were going to follow me to church from there.

My side of the story probably differs from there's from here on out.

Now, the first mile or so from their hotel was kinda tricky, so I was paranoid about losing them, and was watching the rearview mirror more than the road in front of me. Which was safe really, b/c on a Sunday morning there is no traffic in that part of town. There is also about 8 stoplights within a 1/4 or 1/2 mile of each other.

Well, with all this watching behind me instead of in front of me I appearently ran a red light, b/c when we got to church they got out of the car laughing and giving me a hard time about running a red light. My response was "What red light?" Yep, never saw it. And of course my denying it didn't help my case any, and it turns out they ran the red light just to keep up with me.

Whoops ;) And Hope is right, I shall never live it down (and rightfully so).
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

Haha! Wow, Jonathan. I appreciate that story. But really, that was nice of you to be so concerned about not losing them that you ran a red light... :anxious:
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

JIApaw wrote:
Hope wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
That's not quite as bad as driving up onto the curb while parallel parking on your drivers test... :anxious:
You have to parallel park for your drivers test? Sounds fun. ..not! :anxious:

I have been in a similar situation though. There were two vehicles, and the first one goes flying through an intersection that had a stop sign. I was in the second vehicle, and my driver looked both ways really quick and didn't even hit the brakes going through the intersection.

..I have some friends that drive rather crazily. :-
...I hate marquees.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

J-man wrote:
JIApaw wrote:
Hope wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
You have to parallel park for your drivers test? Sounds fun. ..not! :anxious:
Yeah, I accidentally backed over the curb. :anxious: In my defense, though, the curb was quite low and I was the guinea pig in that I was the first test drive at a new location, so even though I should've flunked the test, the instructor let me pass. :-
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Wow. I honestly forgot I made this topic.

I was just scrolling through, and I saw: "Moving out," and I was like: "Ooh, I can share my experience," and then I saw the author...yeah.

So life's good here. I'm glad I'm out on my own, and my relationship with my family is actually improving.

But I have to chuckle when I see you 14 year olds saying how you can't wait to move out and stuff. Honestly, I was in your place a few years ago, but I know this now: You are NOT ready to leave your parents yet. Trust me, they DO have some more to impart to you. It's tough and hard to deal with them sometimes, but you need to listen, because you still have much to learn.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Arwen wrote:But I have to chuckle when I see you 14 year olds saying how you can't wait to move out and stuff. Honestly, I was in your place a few years ago, but I know this now: You are NOT ready to leave your parents yet. Trust me, they DO have some more to impart to you. It's tough and hard to deal with them sometimes, but you need to listen, because you still have much to learn.
I know. :( I just wish they could teach me all that stuff maybe like three days a weak. Or maybe we could do it online. (hmm, online chores would be interesting)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Don't worry. You'll be glad of it someday. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless