How is Odyssey a small town

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Is Odyssey a Small Town

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 24

Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

Not to mention an airport that appears and disappears to fit into the episodes.
Everything written in this post is false.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Jellyfish11 wrote:ha ha i totaly see that lol. that's exactly where i live, the kind of small town where the biggest event is that a sign got blown down last week.
we have like, 40 people living here. that's a small town. maybe it's just in light of where we live that i've always laughed at the idea of odyssey being a small town. :-k
"The biggest news is that a leaf blew onto the mayor's car last week"
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Exactly! lol :D
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

When I was listening to this episode and they mentioned that Klamath Falls, Oregon was last year's winner, I didn't think that Klamath Falls could possibly be small enough to be considered a small town. My parents went to college in Klamath Falls, so I'd heard a lot about it and had been envisioning quite a large city. According to wikipedia, though, it's only about 20,000 (which still doesn't seem very small-townish...)
Jessicado wrote:While Odyssey is supposed to be a small town...it simply isn't. Odyssey has an airport (enough said right there). They have at least 3 electronic stores. The school is large enough to have 2 newspapers, while many small schools can barely keep one up. The town is large enough to have not only a normal newspaper, but a tabloid newspaper as well, plus as a shock jock--which again are not found in small towns. It has an actual mall, complete with specialty stores that sell only one item such as pianos.

I grew up in a small town of 1000, and there is no way that all of these businesses could survive. Basically all of the businesses in my hometown struggled to survive. Main street was a joke. I have also lived in a town of 20,000 and our "mall" had a few clothing stores, Sears, etc, but there is again no way a specialty store like a Piano store could survive. And an aiport? Ha! The additional businesses in Odyssey simply require a larger demographic that a small town could supply.

I can definitely relate - I live in a town of around 2000, but we're scattered over such a large area that there are very few businesses - basically just a few grocery stores and small restaurants, a post office, library, and video rental store.

...and I agree that the fact that Odyssey has an airport makes it a city. The city I live near (population: 100,000) has an airport, but a very small one that only sends planes to a few locations.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Maybe the real question is "What makes a big town (Besides, apparently, an airport)?"

Personally, I say any town over a million counts as a big town. Anything less just doesn't cut it.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Mable wrote:Maybe the real question is "What makes a big town (Besides, apparently, an airport)?"

Personally, I say any town over a million counts as a big town. Anything less just doesn't cut it.
Maybe "Small Town" would count as less than 50,000. Not that I'm saying that's true, I have no clue. I know a large town called Hillsboro here in Oregon, and that's under 50,000, let alone under a million. It's big, I know the place.

Big could mean any means of people.

And who says it's by the people? What about what the town stands on, what is in the town (as in stores...), what is the town made of? There could be many qualifications, people possibly included, making it a small town.
Let's see... I consider McMinville big because it has a Walmart, a Goodwill, and of course Albertson's, Safeway, all those other stores. It doesn't have many people. But I say it is a big town. It's the only place with a Walmart around here anyway... I say Gaston (the town I am technically called living in) is small. One shop, a gas station, a post office, a feed store, a bar... and a school all the way through 12th grade...and about a thousand people. Probably less. I call that small.

Just depends on your look at it, and possibly the qualifications out there... (I am not going searching...)

In spiritual turmoral,
Danielle
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I know the airport has been mentioned a lot on this thread, what about the civic center? How big does a town/city have to be to have something like that?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

King Butter Turtle wrote:I know the airport has been mentioned a lot on this thread, what about the civic center? How big does a town/city have to be to have something like that?
There's a town not far from where I live that has one, and while it's much bigger than the town I live in, I don't consider it a "Big Town".
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

What makes you think that an airport makes a town big? Waxhaw, North Carolina (a town around me) has an airport (a SMALL airport) and trust me, Waxhaw is small! Bigger than my town, but small.
Last edited by BrokenButBeautiful on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Oh, that reminds me, another small town near here has a SMALL (really, really small) airport. Unless that's where they do their genetic experiments on the schoolchildren, but I think that's in the library. (Okay, kidding about the genetic experiments.)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

SivartM wrote:Oh, that reminds me, another small town near here has a SMALL (really, really small) airport. Unless that's where they do their genetic experiments on the schoolchildren, but I think that's in the library. (Okay, kidding about the genetic experiments.)
Awww... I like genetic experements! :(