Norbit

Eddie Murry is back.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jonnyboy12
Tallying up

Post by Jonnyboy12 »

oh to be 5 again!!!!
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:
xiao wrote:
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
xiao wrote:This is the gayest movie ever. (And not because of the content. If you don't want to see this movie because of the content, you're probably five years old.)
Then I shall gladly revel in my youthfulness. ;)

In all seriousness, I've seen a lot of movies, but I am not one to subject myself to a couple hours of pointless, crass humour for naught. I have criticized PluggedIn on several occasions, but I'm with them on this. "Norbit" doesn't seem to be offering more to viewers than a significant [-ly unpleasant] waste of time.

On the whole its really disappointing to see the continuing trend of American comedy films. And I'm not even speaking of content. Plotless, boring, humourless and bland are only a few adjectives to describe this recent fare.
Oh, but I agree very much so. I think its crude and stupid. But I don't think Norbit is breaking any rules when it comes to content - it's certainly not a poster child for inaproprieteness. ;)
No, certainly not. That title is reserved for "Borat". ;)
Hey, Borat is a great movie. Sure, it's crude, sure it's offensive, but everyone has to be able to laugh at themselves. But I agree, it's a very content-heavy movie that should be enjoyed by very mature teens and adults.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

People can find ways to laugh at themselves without being crude though.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Jonathan wrote:People can find ways to laugh at themselves without being crude though.
Maybe some people can.

But not Borat! \:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

xiao wrote:
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
xiao wrote:
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
xiao wrote:This is the gayest movie ever. (And not because of the content. If you don't want to see this movie because of the content, you're probably five years old.)

In all seriousness, I've seen a lot of movies, but I am not one to subject myself to a couple hours of pointless, crass humour for naught. I have criticized PluggedIn on several occasions, but I'm with them on this. "Norbit" doesn't seem to be offering more to viewers than a significant [-ly unpleasant] waste of time.

On the whole its really disappointing to see the continuing trend of American comedy films. And I'm not even speaking of content. Plotless, boring, humourless and bland are only a few adjectives to describe this recent fare.
Oh, but I agree very much so. I think its crude and stupid. But I don't think Norbit is breaking any rules when it comes to content - it's certainly not a poster child for inaproprieteness. ;)
Hey, Borat is a great movie. Sure, it's crude, sure it's offensive, but everyone has to be able to laugh at themselves. But I agree, it's a very content-heavy movie that should be enjoyed by very mature teens and adults.
At the very least though, one can conceed that it was the "poster child" for inappropriateness this year. At least, this seems to be the consensus of even the most open-minded (if you will) media critics.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:
xiao wrote:
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
xiao wrote:
Sherlock Holmes wrote:

At the very least though, one can conceed that it was the "poster child" for inappropriateness this year. At least, this seems to be the consensus of even the most open-minded (if you will) media critics.
Borat was? No way.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I understand if some Christians decide not to see movies because of Moral views and decisions. It does not make them little kids, it is just a decision they make, becuse of belifefs and stuff.

I have seen parts since I work at a theater. I hear they use same cuss words over and over. Some parts did look funny thought. Hilarious.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

ok time for LS's two cents. Not worth going to unless perhaps your getting to see it for free even then though it's iffy. I aint talking about the crude humor I'm just saying that I found it quite boring.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Finding the content of an evidently crude movie to be objectionable makes one akin to a "five-year old"? Consider me unconvinced.

I recognize that there are some movies where one might decide that, objectionable elements aside, a film is worth seeing ("Munich," for instance). Certainly, if one goes solely by ratings, one is likely to miss out on some fine films ("The Green Mile," "Saving Private Ryan," etc.). The same goes for TV shows, of course; "Battlestar Galactica" provides good drama, but I'm not always pleased with some of the content.

(Forgive the overused examples; I don't watch many films, so I've probably never seen much that would be less cited.)

Different people will draw the line in different places, and it's perfectly appropriate to debate where that line should be, and to (in a godly way) object if they think a fellow believer has gone too far. Personally, I'm more willing to give some leeway on drama than I would with comedy. Certainly, it seems more than a little odd to, on a Christian forum, dismiss concerns about the content of a crude comedy as little more than the aversions of a five-year old.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Jonathan wrote:
xiao wrote:If you don't want to see this movie because of the content, you're probably five years old.
Yay! I'm young again \:D/
As am I!
But back on topic... I do not plan to ever see this movie. Mainly because it is terrible contentwise, and I am not a big fan of Eddie Murphy.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
xiao

Post by xiao »

Elizabeth Doyle wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
xiao wrote:If you don't want to see this movie because of the content, you're probably five years old.
Yay! I'm young again \:D/
As am I!
But back on topic... I do not plan to ever see this movie. Mainly because it is terrible contentwise, and I am not a big fan of Eddie Murphy.
For real peoples, it's not terrible contentwise, a movie that's terrible contentwise would be like.... the 40 year old virgin or something. Not this. This is PG-13. But it's not terrible contentwise, it's just TERRIBLE. What an awful movie. Ugh.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

So if we don't want to see the movie because of content issues we're not "real people"? :-s

Xiao, we can agree to disagree on entertainment and what's too crude and what's not. But you need to be a little nicer to be who don't share your opinion about it.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
xiao

Post by xiao »

underdogfan710 wrote:So if we don't want to see the movie because of content issues we're not "real people"? :-s

Xiao, we can agree to disagree on entertainment and what's too crude and what's not. But you need to be a little nicer to be who don't share your opinion about it.
Oops, sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant like "For real." Like saying "Seriously." like, "Seriously, peoples."
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

All I have to say is this:
I had two friends who went to see Norbit.
Let's call them E and G.
E is a girl.
G is a boy.
Both are my best friends.
Both live in different states.
Both are the same age, 15.
E often refers to herself as a dumb blond and loves horror movies, and, yes, goofy/mature movies like Waiting.
G refers to himself as a redneck and also loves horror movies, and goofy/mature movies.
G told me recently that Norbit was HILARIOUS and that I should see it ASAP. He said he was rolling on the ground and laughing so hard that he could not breathe.
E told me that it was EXTREMEMLY stupid and not funny at all. She claimed it was a waste of her time and her money.
I personally will not go see it because I have recently grown tired of comedians who take up cross dressing. May I point out the recent splurge of them. Madea's Family Reunion and Big Mama's House 2 for example.
Anyways I just thought I'd put in my two cents. I'm off to bed now. Goodnight.
~Trinity B.~
Trinity: I don't believe in the catagoration of food. If it wants to be a fruit it can be fruit. If it wants to be vegetable it can be a vegetable. In todays society anyone and anything can be whatever they so wish.
Siblings: How do you know which it wants to be?
Trinity: I just ask! I say 'Hey apple! You wanna be a fruit or a vegetable?' And the apple will say back to me 'Well, I always wanted to be a vegetable.' So I just say back 'Thus you are' and down the hatch said vegetable goes!
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

LOL, exactly. I find cross-dressing highly disturbing, unless it's done really well like in Mrs. Doubtfire. :sick: I won't be seeing this.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:LOL, exactly. I find cross-dressing highly disturbing, unless it's done really well like in Mrs. Doubtfire. :sick: I won't be seeing this.

Haystack
Yea, Mrs. Doubtfire was a great movie and had good values. He became Mrs. Doubtfire because he loved his kids so much, not just because of it's being obnoxious comedy gold.

Note: I don't have anything against crude humor as long as you are mature enough.
~Trinity B.~
Trinity: I don't believe in the catagoration of food. If it wants to be a fruit it can be fruit. If it wants to be vegetable it can be a vegetable. In todays society anyone and anything can be whatever they so wish.
Siblings: How do you know which it wants to be?
Trinity: I just ask! I say 'Hey apple! You wanna be a fruit or a vegetable?' And the apple will say back to me 'Well, I always wanted to be a vegetable.' So I just say back 'Thus you are' and down the hatch said vegetable goes!
xiao

Post by xiao »

trinity4888 wrote:He became Mrs. Doubtfire because he loved his kids so much, not just because of it's being obnoxious comedy gold.
I would hardly call norbit comedy gold in any stretch of the imagination, even when in reference to obnoxiousness. ;)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

xiao wrote:
trinity4888 wrote:He became Mrs. Doubtfire because he loved his kids so much, not just because of it's being obnoxious comedy gold.
I would hardly call norbit comedy gold in any stretch of the imagination, even when in reference to obnoxiousness. ;)
I don't think she was meaning that Norbit was comedy gold. I think she was saying that the cross-dressing humor device used in Mrs. Doubtfire didn't play as a cheap way to get laughs because of the storyline. (As opposed to Norbit, which probably does.)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon