NaNoWriMo

Who's on board for this year?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Basically you sign up, they give you a bunch of awesome help resources, and you write 50,000 words before November ends. \:D/
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I always wanted to do it after I'd finished school. And now I have. I will be out of town for the first couple weeks of the month, but maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. Or wait until next year. :)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Anyone do Camp NaNoWriMo this summer? I had no time, so I didn't, but my sister... attempted. lol.

I have like, four novel ideas... and sadly, no time. :/ I get a four day Thanksgiving break and a three day weekend for Veteran's Day landing on a Friday, but I haven't written anything longer than a one-shot for the movie Thor since March... so, I probably won't get to writing a 50,000 word novel.

Though, every time I get on the site and see my buddies... Lisa is on there. *tears up*

And the stats of writing 50,000 words in 30 days - you have to write about 1334 words a day. :D I finished early last year, by like, six days.

Good luck to all who participate! I really want to, but school comes before leisure these days. :)

EDIT: Seeing comments in this topic: some people love to write. Like me. I love writing fanfiction, even though I do have two original ideas in my head right now. :D It is harder for me to write a research paper than just a simple story. I have more fun and openness with a simple story of my own creation, even if I borrow characters from say, Odyssey. And the novel may never get published. Ever heard of "Water for Elephants"? It was a NaNoWriMo book that got published, and now it is a movie with Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon. That's an accomplishment. To write something in 30 days, 50,000+ words, and get it published AND a movie? That takes skill. Of course, loads of editing after writing the novel. They tell you not to edit while you write, but I can't help it. lol. Though, I still managed LAST YEAR!

NaNoWriMo is not for every one. My sister and one of my ex-friends and one of my friends tried it along with me, and none of them got enough words. They weren't really trying though. Serious people make the time and attempt. It can be a very fun experience. One of my fellow Tangled authors on ff.net is doing NaNoWriMo, and she's an amazing writer. I hope she gets published one day.

But, everyone has choices and their own cup of tea. Have fun this Nov. whoever does participate. :D - Danielle
Last edited by Danielle Abigail Maxwell on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

NaNoWriMo sounds like some weird disease to me. Don't know how anyone could write 50,000 words. Writing is not my strong point in school, that would be math!

I was in French the other day and I had to write a paragraph in French and I thought to myself I can't write a decent paper in English let alone a foreign language. (My worst grade is in French (93.6%)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

93.6%? That's still an A. lol. I have never gotten a hold of writing a foreign language. Spanish I could write, but couldn't understand well... gave up in HS. And French - I want to learn it. Various reasons. Tried learning a lot of languages and failed. English is the only one I can handle... having grown up with it. And not everyone is good at it, no. But writing is fun for people, not EVERYONE, but for some people.

And it isn't hard writing 50,000 words. Honestly, that is a novela - a smaller novel. A novel is like... 100,000+ words.

And I'm jealous about math. One day I have to take Statistics, and I'm not exactly sure I'm ready for that... o.0 At the moment, I'll stick to my simple math in calculating for medication administration.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Would those who have done it in the past recommend joining the forums? I don't really want to, but I'm really looking to improve my writing skills through this experience.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I poked around the forums for five minutes, then ignored them. :-

Sooo, I'm probably doing NaNo... but I'm kinda cheating and doing a FF compilation. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

ric wrote:Would those who have done it in the past recommend joining the forums? I don't really want to, but I'm really looking to improve my writing skills through this experience.
I used the forums a fair bit last year; they're very handy, whether you're just poking around or posting for suggestions. :yes:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I'm guessing you're supposed to have some sort of outline by now. Needless to say, I don't. :P
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Well, that's what some people do. I'm trying, but... *SOB* I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE THING TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!! :mecry: I'm not sure if it's because it's harder to write for a guy protagonist or because I'm flat out of ideas.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

This might sound a little far-fetched, but you could write a story about guy is a moderator on a web forum that gradually gets oppressive and oligarchal and people get banned for no reason and so he decides to make a NEW web forum to compete with the old forum and a bunch of people from the old forum join the new forum and soon the new forum sucks all the life out of the old forum but then the guy leaves and puts a dictator in charge.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

He might possibly get points for originality! \:D/
*insert provocative quote here*
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

:lol: Alas, I have my general story idea, just little in specific details at this point. :(
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

Haha I'm trying to write a male protagonist for the first time this year. I'm scared.
Anyways, I'm doing NaNoWriMo again and hopefully I'll win this year. Even though I didn't last year, my novel that came out of last year is one of my favorite things I've ever written. My novel for this year scares me a little though, because it's a lot of things I've never done before. For one, male lead character. For another, it's a fantasy story. And also, I think I'm going to writei it in third person, which I never do...So this NaNoWriMo will definitely be challenging for me.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Yay NaNo time!

I think it is a disease. Once you start, it's really hard to stop. Even when you hate yourself and all of creation for a month straight. :(

Who cares. It's worth it. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

So is anyone actually doing this?

\:D/
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Lee wrote:So is anyone actually doing this?
I am, I think Amethytic is, TKD I think is doing it to, maybe JP, and ric, Danielle Abigail Maxwell is I'm pretty sure, Termite?

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

There were 200,500 participants last year. On one little AIO board, seven or eight people are participating (if the oldies who have always done this are still... doing this).

A whole lot of someones are doing this. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Graces4you wrote:
Lee wrote:So is anyone actually doing this?
I am, I think Amethytic is, TKD I think is doing it to, maybe JP, and ric, Danielle Abigail Maxwell is I'm pretty sure, Termite?
Yeah. I decided to do a compilation story. I have several fan fiction ideas so I'm just going to do them all; I don't have time to work out something completely original. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
shadowdog
Still standing tall

Post by shadowdog »

I'm doing it! :D

We have a tutor for writing (we're homeschooled), and my borther, sister, and I are each doing one.
*gulp*