X-Men: First Class

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Not really, her skin looks a lot like she's wearing a spandex jumpsuit oppose to being naked. So I guess, yes, if you have absolutely no control over yourself you'll lust all over her, but you would also lust all over a refrigerator.

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Pshh, so having impure thoughts while watching a women in a 100% form-fitting spandex outfit is now comparable to lusting over a fridge?

No, no, and no. If you posted a picture of her on this forum, it would be gone in a heartbeat. Why? You figure it out.

...and I think I've said all I need to say. If you guys are really interested in this movie, I won't condemn you for watching it. (How hypocritical that would make me!) I'm just glad I'm not hooked.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.

Post by 31899 »

American Eagle wrote:Pshh, so having impure thoughts while watching a women in a 100% form-fitting spandex outfit is now comparable to lusting over a fridge?

No, no, and no. If you posted a picture of her on this forum, it would be gone in a heartbeat. Why? You figure it out.

...and I think I've said all I need to say. If you guys are really interested in this movie, I won't condemn you for watching it. (How hypocritical that would make me!) I'm just glad I'm not hooked.
If you are able to control yourself you won't. So yes, it is comparable. God gave us the ability to control ourselves.

My favourite Characters \:D/
[img]The%20image%20would%20be%20here,%20but%20I%20wouldn't%20want%20anyone%20to%20lust%20over%20their%20elbows[/img] :(

P.S. The only reason it would be gone is because you would abuse your moderator powers.
Last edited by 31899 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Personally, I am not attracted to blue women. I must be a racist. :(
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I find her blue color awfully strange... then again, mutant. And mutants aren't normal. Duh.

I think everyone can take whatever they want and leave it. I found, being a girl, the only thing disturbing was the whole underwear party. Really? And I'm pretty conservative - my grandmother thinks I'm not, though forbid me to say I don't really care to show off my body to the world. Really, how does bare shoulders lead to babies in the first place? IDK *my old principal's saying about strapless dresses*

Honestly, I take the movie for fun. I enjoy X-Men for the plot and the actors and the characters. I'm not attempting to go gaga because some girl looks slightly seductive. *I don't know, boys get to handle that there own way.* And Brian, I have to say, you make me smile with your answers. Especially when I know you are married and if you can take a movie like X-Men and like it, even with these "problems" - I applaud you.

Like many movies. PG-13 is pretty tame compared to R rated ones. Or X rated. I tend not to watch R rated very often - have I before? Yes. I willingly haven't seen one lately - unless "Unrelated" was such... which I get the feeling it was. *shrug* I even turned off "Spiral" because it was R rated *and scary. -_-*. *yes, I watch weird movies... if I watch them that is. lol*

So.... eh... I wouldn't get all worked up over what others decide to like. I'm glad you will accept that some us can and will like it, AE. And take it as you want - I'm not sure liking it means any of us are "hooked"...
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:If you are able to control yourself you won't. So yes, it is comparable. God gave us the ability to control ourselves.
Agree to a degree. As we've (maybe not you and I) discussed before, it is the guy's responsibility to guard his eyes, mind and thoughts, but it doesn't make it any less sinful for the girl to dress lustfully.
31899 wrote:P.S. The only reason it would be gone is because you would abuse your moderator powers.
I strongly disagree, but (edit) there's no need for us to battle this when it has never even happened.
The Top Crusader wrote:Personally, I am not attracted to blue women. I must be a racist. :(
I forgot to say I liked your previous post about the CGI clothing company. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, I will say though that as a "mature" married adult, there is content in films that I will see now and not bat an eye at and really have no issue with seeing, whereas when I was in high school or whatever I'd have had stronger convictions about. My place in life is a point where certain content in films is more "well, been there, done that, whatever..." whereas when I was 15 or something it would have been a different perception.

That being said, the original X-men came out in 2000, complete with naked blue woman (not to be confused with the naked blue man of Watchmen) when I was a high schooler, and even then I didn't really have a problem with that, because she is like... a scaly, ugly blue thing with nappy hair. I guess what I'm saying is naked doesn't always equal lust, like if you are looking at holocaust victims or something. Although, again, I certainly understand the issue and commend those who would prefer to avoid it entirely. I can just also see how other people could not see the problem in this case.

The X-men movies to me have always been more about the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr./Malcolm X dynamic that Xavier and Magneto put forth, not the action and cheesiness and weird women (although Wolverine is cool, too). I just think that aspect of the story is something that none of the other comic book movies possess and I really dig it, even when other aspects throughout the series are lacking.
I doubt the studio would let him get away with it, but I hear the director of X-men First Class wants to make a sequel where Magneto is behind the JFK assassination. It would explain the odd bullet trajectory. ;)
American Eagle wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Personally, I am not attracted to blue women. I must be a racist. :(
I do get tired of great films being ruined by one quick scene or two. :(
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

American Eagle wrote:
I do get tired of great films being ruined by one quick scene or two. :([/quote]

That's why I liked Thor so much \:D/

I agree with most of Top's and AE's posts. I mean I understand 31899's post about being able to control yourself but why go to something that makes it hard for you to control yourself?

That being said I think X-men First Class isn't as bad as some other movies I've seen and as long as you know it's "Wrong" And don't watch movie's just for that reason it's ok to go to a movie that has a scene or two with some not very clean things :shrugs: I'd be happier if they didn't have that but- they do unfortunately :(

Post by 31899 »

I would rather them have a bad scene or two than wreck the story. Those types of scenes really don't bother me.

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I went in hoping to at least enjoy the film, and I ended up being amazed by it. \:D/ It was just reeaally good! The story, the references, the character development... if anything, it felt too short. I was very impressed; the movie shot up my list of top favorites, and not many superhero movies do that. ;)

Also, I don't even wanna comment on the the whole 'inappropriateness' factor. She actually had clothes on for pretty much the whole movie, and when she wasn't wearing clothes.. she just looked like an avatar or something. It's not even worth mentioning. Why does every tiny bit of 'sexual content' in a movie always monopolize the entire discussion of the movie on this board? :noway:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

Jelly wrote:Why does every tiny bit of 'sexual content' in a movie always monopolize the entire discussion of the movie on this board? :noway:
Nuf said!! =D>

Post by 31899 »

Epic wrote:
Jelly wrote:Why does every tiny bit of 'sexual content' in a movie always monopolize the entire discussion of the movie on this board? :noway:
Nuf said!! =D>
As much as I hate this phrase "quote for truth."

Last edited by 31899 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

lolz. Don't feed the troll. \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Because obviously the sexual immorality isn't a big deal. Obviously.

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:Because obviously the sexual immorality isn't a big deal. Obviously.
Because obviously I said that. ;)

It often seems like you dump 'sexual immorality' into one big standard, with no room for exception. You put a superhero movie where a character is somewhat immodestly dressed into the same category as those films that are absolutely littered with sexual garbage. There's a massive difference. If we were discussing a movie like American Pie, where the script intentionally includes as much vulgar sexual immorality as possible for the sake of amusing or arousing people, then there'd be legit cause for argument. But in Xmen, the script is actually clean.. the only hint at 'sexual immortality' you'll find is in one or two of the costumes, and even then, the camera doesn't linger and the characters don't comment. The purpose of making people sexually lust doesn't really exist in this film, and is thus easy to look past... especially because of the fact that none of it is actually that bad. ;) That's why I would have a problem with raunchy sexual comedies, and not with this film. There's a huge difference.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jelly wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Because obviously the sexual immorality isn't a big deal. Obviously.
Because obviously I said that. ;)
I obviously never said you said that. :P Moving on... before you reply with "I obviously never said you said that I said that."
Jelly wrote:It often seems like you dump 'sexual immorality' into one big standard, with no room for exception. You put a superhero movie where a character is somewhat immodestly dressed into the same category as those films that are absolutely littered with sexual garbage. There's a massive difference. If we were discussing a movie like American Pie, where the script intentionally includes as much vulgar sexual immorality as possible for the sake of amusing or arousing people, then there'd be legit cause for argument. But in Xmen, the script is actually clean.. the only hint at 'sexual immortality' you'll find is in one or two of the costumes, and even then, the camera doesn't linger and the characters don't comment. The purpose of making people sexually lust doesn't really exist in this film, and is thus easy to look past... especially because of the fact that none of it is actually that bad. ;) That's why I would have a problem with raunchy sexual comedies, and not with this film. There's a huge difference.
To be honest, I'm not ticked off with X-Men: First Class itself, or similarly, with Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Both of them contain obviously sexualized characters (Emma Frost for X-Men, the Mermaids for POTC4), but I agree that it isn't at an advanced level. Neither character is that big of a deal. However, I saw them everywhere in promotion. The one mermaid girl was shown with Jack on a full page advertisement on IMDb (why not the other main characters?). I also saw Emma Frost's posters pushed on movie sites, and the pictures were not of her modest scenes. I'm ticked off at the way these characters—and the films—were promoted.

Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Dude. Mermaids are like that throughout history.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

...and that makes it okay? Plus, don't confuse "history" with fictional writings.

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:To be honest, I'm not ticked off with X-Men: First Class itself, or similarly, with Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Both of them contain obviously sexualized characters (Emma Frost for X-Men, the Mermaids for POTC4), but I agree that it isn't at an advanced level. Neither character is that big of a deal. However, I saw them everywhere in promotion. The one mermaid girl was shown with Jack on a full page advertisement on IMDb (why not the other main characters?). I also saw Emma Frost's posters pushed on movie sites, and the pictures were not of her modest scenes. I'm ticked off at the way these characters—and the films—were promoted.
Well, eh, that is true to an extent... but the people who market the films are not the same people who make the films. The people who are trying to market a movie are getting payed huge bucks to sell it to as many people as possible, and they know that sex sells. So even if the mermaid in Pirates was really one of the minor characters who didn't really stand out in a sexual way, she gets placed on the promotional posters by the marketing people because she'll attract more attention then pirates who are wearing all their clothes. ;) So in essence, all the 'sexual content' you'll find in either of those movies have already been seen in the trailers/posters. I'm pretty sure that like 90% of the mermaid scenes were already in the trailer, so there wasn't even really anything new when I actually saw the movie. :P
swatcaptin
For the GMF!
For the GMF!

Post by swatcaptin »

Well i wasted my money seening that stupid movie.