I hate it when people try to find racism in everything...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Termite wrote:Argentina and Canada, I do believe.

And Josef... she can be half Mexican if one of her parents is a Mexican with an American citizenship and still be fully American. ;) Mexican is a specific Spanish-descended race as well as citizenship.
I still think the Mexicans are pretty much caucasians, as the Spanish are. But I guess I can see how one could argue that a new mestizo race was created where the Spaniards mixed with the native American people who were living in what is now Mexico.

Anyways there human beans and that's what counts. I have black friends, white friends, asian friends, and "Mexican" friends, and Indian friends, and it's just pretty fun to notice the differences in characteristics sometimes.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

That is so terrible! I totally agree about how people try to find racism in so many things in life. It's sad, but it seems like the people I know who have fallen into this have been those who have themselves been victims of racism in the past. It's our human nature to try to do what we can to bring some measure of balance, but some people take it to such an unhealthy extreme.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, whenever someone tries to rip off the store my wife works at they accuse her of being racist for stopping them. \:D/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Steve wrote:
DanP740 wrote:Somebody I know works at a fast-food place or something, and he's required to check that all bills over $10 aren't counterfeit, and somebody complained to the manager and called him racist when he checked his $10 bill.
See? This country is full of idiots!
Exactly. I know a lady who works in medical at a prison, and if she refuses to give a prisoner the kind of medicine he wants, he says "You're just doing this to me because I'm black." people like to try to come up with excuses for everything...

\:D/
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Steve wrote:The whole story makes me want to take the government by the face ( \:D/ ) and scream, "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!! DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU DID BY BEING POLITICALY CORRECT?!?! YOU AND SESAME STREET!"

And then leave those blithering idiots in their fancy chairs.
...Sesame Street makes people rude...? :-s

People who act like the ones that OTR met are anything but politically correct. Often when people complain about "political correctness" they seem to just want to be as rude as they like with no consequences because it's their constitutional right to be offensive.
Last edited by SivartM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Ha, well, yeah, lets just pretend that OTR and her friend were all KKK members. ;) I mean if they are just having a conversation sitting there talking at a normal volume, they can say whatever they want even if it IS offensive to someone. :noway:
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious
It’s my birthday

Post by Over the Rainbow »

The Top Crusader wrote:Ha, well, yeah, lets just pretend that OTR and her friend were all KKK members. ;) I mean if they are just having a conversation sitting there talking at a normal volume, they can say whatever they want even if it IS offensive to someone. :noway:
THIS.

Even if I was being offensive in my language, I have the right to speak however I please. It's not like I was screaming out racist slurs against blacks. I was talking in at a normal volume about my Dad's life on the border and those people were intentionally easedropping and trying to find something racist to get worked up about. It's sad that our society has gotten to the point where a Chinese girl and a Hispanic girl can't even talk about their heritage in public anymore without having someone scream 'racist'. I don't even know why the family was so offended since they were cleary not Asian or Hispanic.

Last year, I took a AP Language Arts course and we did Huckleberry Finn. I was assigned to do a report on why people found HF racist and wanted it banned from schools and libraries. I found numberous articles and news reports with African-American parents being offended by the white racism and constant use of the 'n' word. I watched one news report where a black mother was practically yelling about how offended she was that her seventeen-year-old "child" was exposed to the evils of Mark Twain's racism. That family at the restraunt reminded me of her.

And Josef1004, my Dad has dual citizenship. I tend to agree with that argument with that the Spanish and Natives created a "new" race. While there are white Mexicans, a majority are not Caucasian. Most possess the prominent Mexican Indian features, such as the black hair, brown skin, brown eyes, Indian noses, jaws, etc. Below is a photo of a "typical" Hispanic girl.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

The whole Huck Finn thing is really stupid, too... people apparently lack reading comprehension or haven't read the book at all. ;) In context, the use of the N word was basically very ANTI-Racist in showing the meaning of the word... not to mention that it was just the way of talking at the time of its writing.

There is a movement afoot to have all use of the N word in Huckleberry Finn replaced with "robot" which I think is a great idea.
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

Robot? Psh, I'll go for it only if it's "ninja." ;)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Nah... Robot is better.

@SivartM: It doesn't make people rude-it's politically correct.
he/him | a little stinker.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

What annoys me is when white people say the N word or "brown time" or stuff like that they get called racist, but black people always say that to eachother. I know kids who use "brown time" as an excuse for being late to class everyday, but if a white person said that to them they'd get called racist.
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

There are some black people I know who claim to possess ownership of that word - but isn't that racist in itself?
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

The Top Crusader wrote:Ha, well, yeah, lets just pretend that OTR and her friend were all KKK members. ;) I mean if they are just having a conversation sitting there talking at a normal volume, they can say whatever they want even if it IS offensive to someone. :noway:
I wasn't saying that OTR was being offensive. She wasn't. I was saying that the big bad political correctness is a straw man and that the man who confronted her was the opposite of it.

I think that we ought to remember that it was only a few decades ago that black people in the US were marginalized and segregated in every place, and that there is still a lot of remnants of that period today. Even though we don't have separate water fountains for "whites" and "coloreds" anymore (thank goodness), there are still a lot of black people who feel marginalized by society, and not all of those feelings should be blamed on them just being whiny. We've come a long way despite all of that. But there's still a lot of racial tension.

And again, it was just dumb for those people to blow up at you like that, and they were wrong. Hopefully the next generation will be above that, having grown up in a fully integrated environment.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

oh my word, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If they didn't like what you were saying (despite the debate of why it would be offensive), they didn't have to listen! Seriously, people do that, and it's sad that they take any excuse they can in order to get special treatment. I have friends that will joke around with their race, and it's cool cause they're confident of who they are and think it's ok to make fun of stereotypes (even if they fit into the stereotype). But other people go nuts if they think there is any implication of something negative against them. I really think it is a combination of being very insecure in who you are and just wanting to get attention. And, unfortunately, because of how past generations have behaved, some people still hold negative views toward other races, and worse, don't try to change the views or question them because that's how it's "always been" to them. :(

For one of my jobs, I work at a police station. The other day a detective was in the interview room with a lady and her boyfriend. The detective was doing routine questioning and doing his job, speaking perfectly calmly...I started to hear yelling in the room, and the boyfriend storms out yelling something about racism, and the girl was still in there screaming at the detective...oh gosh...he would have asked the same questions and been just as hard on white people, but they didn't like it so they called it racism.

What's also depressing and drives me nuts is that if these situations are reversed (black people saying something against white people) it is their right, and it's ok, and it's not racism. Just because someone isn't a minority doesn't mean that people can't be racist against them too. Asians and Hispanics are considered minorities too, and I've never heard one of them make unjustified accusations like that. I dunno, it just really bugs me that there are all these exceptions. Same with Christianity too...take away the rights of Christians and people call it politically correct and ok to do because it is "separation of church and state", which is, of course, "constitutional" (despite it not being in the constitution...). But if you try to take prayer away from a Muslim or Hindu, you are being intolerant. Gah, this world is so messed up.

And a point I do want to make--those that I have met who want to make complaints about people treating them low-class are ACTING low-class by doing that. #-o They have sadly developed the "victim" mindset and can't see themselves as anything above that, so they continue to act according to how they feel. And the same can be said for any race. I've gotten it before from low-income white people who think everyone else looks down on them for not having as much money. I've known people with a lot less money than they probably have, who struggle to make it, who have a great attitude about life and have confidence and I'd consider them higher class than some of the "rich" people out there. It's all about the mindset people have and how they live their lives. Act like a victim and you are one--or you will find ways to become one. It's tragic :( Look at that Odyssey episode where Lucy and Connie go down to that one town who treats them badly just because they're outsiders. There would have been ZERO reasons for why any of them are any different from "citters"...if the townspeople didn't act like there were reasons. ](*,)

Anyway, hope I didn't offend anyone on my little rant here. People without a firm footing in God and who don't have confidence in themselves can find any and every excuse to make someone else "lower". I'm glad it's gotten better from how it was in the past, but we still have a long way to go. :?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Angel Bob wrote:Robot? Psh, I'll go for it only if it's "ninja." ;)
Yeah; then it would still be the "N-word"! haha!

BTW, have you seen the Niggar Family? It's a show about a white family whose name is Niggar. Look it up on youtube if you want a good laugh.
Last edited by Josef1004 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

tl;dr

Jking, but from the looks of it, they either took what you said out of context, or didn't fully listen to everything what you were saying and was probably picking and choosing what they wanted to hear to call it Image (figure I can get away with this picture because I myself am Asian and thought this pic was funny)

So bottom line I don't understand what was their problem, but I have a feeling they were probably just "trolling". To bad its never funny when done in real life.
Ayralee wrote:What annoys me is when white people say the N word or "brown time" or stuff like that they get called racist, but black people always say that to eachother. I know kids who use "brown time" as an excuse for being late to class everyday, but if a white person said that to them they'd get called racist.
Well during the old times most "White" people would always use the "N-word" or the spanish variant of the word as a derogatory term. The "blacks" were used to being called it that they would say it to each other as a brotherhood, family, etc. Heck even most of them would forget about the word "black". While its not the best justification for the usage, it has been historically proven. To me though, the word itself is stupid and only promotes "racism" as long as the word keeps existing.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious
It’s my birthday

Post by Over the Rainbow »

SivartM wrote:
I wasn't saying that OTR was being offensive. She wasn't. I was saying that the big bad political correctness is a straw man and that the man who confronted her was the opposite of it.

I think that we ought to remember that it was only a few decades ago that black people in the US were marginalized and segregated in every place, and that there is still a lot of remnants of that period today. Even though we don't have separate water fountains for "whites" and "coloreds" anymore (thank goodness), there are still a lot of black people who feel marginalized by society, and not all of those feelings should be blamed on them just being whiny. We've come a long way despite all of that. But there's still a lot of racial tension.

And again, it was just dumb for those people to blow up at you like that, and they were wrong. Hopefully the next generation will be above that, having grown up in a fully integrated environment.
I sympathize with African-Americans and all the shunning/abuse they've had to endure. And yes, there still is racial tension...on BOTH sides. Until Christ returns, there will always be racism.

I just cannot understand why this African-American family was offended by talk of Hispanic and Chinese heritage. How in the world does that even relate to them?! It makes no sense, whatsoever.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

@gunblader: The picture was funny. I got it.

@Over the Rainbow: They were hicks with no lives, apparently. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Steve wrote:
@Over the Rainbow: They were hicks with no lives, apparently. \:D/
Don't ask me why... but I found that to be really really funny. :hilarious: (yeah, I know I'm weird.)

\:D/