Do you consider the new AIO to really be AIO?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Bob wrote:Well, to be fair, it didn't feel like the show was written by the same writing staff a while ago, either, back after album 32 -- which I think was because it wasn't. ;-)

2) Golden Age stories are more plausible.

When you listen to a lot of the old episodes, like, say, "Two Sides to Every Story", it's funny because it's true. None of the situations that're portrayed in that episode are unreasonable. The worst thing that happens, the television going up in flames, seems relatively plausible and isn't even because of a deliberate action on the part of Donna or Jimmy.

Likewise, although "Thanksgiving At Home" does imply some unrealistic decisions (like Jimmy suggesting they use a chisel on the turkey), we don't necessarily see that they do any of these things. For the most part, we only know that they rely on conventional food-preparation techniques (the microwave, etc.) that simply aren't suited to the task of baking a turkey...a mistake that real children might make.

Finally, Golden Age children are always aware of their bounds. If they're disrespectful or disobedient, it's to an extent that you might expect a reasonable child to be in real life. Think back to "Family Vacation", when Jimmy and Donna are fighting it out in the back of the car; that's entirely believable. Likewise, their gradual drift from their parents' real instructions in "Two Sides" is believable.

Modern Age children meet very few of these standards; since the Washingtons were intended to be like a Barclay replacement, I will primarily use them for my counter-example.

A story that comes to mind, if you're looking for a "Two Sides" story, done Washington-style, is that episode where the kids decide that they have the right to do "just what Xavier does". They end up doing a whole bunch of things that their parents have explicitly prevented, up to and including crashing the lawnmower. Most of these things seem implausible in their own right; just one of them would be bad enough, and yet these kid characters go on to do *all* of them. It's such an extreme step up that it becomes entirely implausible.

Likewise, compare "An Agreeable Nanny" to "Thanksgiving At Home" -- the same situation is there, in that the kid characters consider using blatantly inappropriate tools to solve their immediate problems. The only difference is that the Parkers actually do it, and that leaps off into the bounds of fantasy...on the bright side, though, they do get punished for it, which didn't happen to the Washingtons (read below).

Finally, modern children are more likely to be ill-behaved or disobedient. The episode that pops into my mind as I write this is the Washington's visit to the fancy restaurant -- I can't remember its name -- where Tamika and Marvin run amok through most of the dinner. In reality, you know that your parents would've killed you if you left the table for more than ten minutes, much less if you did even half of the things they did in that episode...but that's not how things are in Modern-Age Odyssey. Mrs. Washington basically just says "I'm very disappointed in you" and lets them off with a slap on the wrist. There's no real punishment or significant grounding, in spite of the fact that their two bratty, uncontrolled kids turned a high-dollar restaurant upside-down, with property damage, blatant disrespect of adults, etc., etc., and etc. The Washington parents themselves seem entirely unconcerned, throughout the dinner, that their children are not in their sight, or eating the meal they presumably ordered. The entire thing crosses the line of fantasy into outright insanity, as though it's a Bizarro World where all the rules of decorum are turned upside-down. It's hard to imagine anyone in real life having such poor control over their kids.

I completely have to commend you for this post. You put words to my thoughts. The trouble that the kids get into is ridiculously over-the-top, with such minor consequences. Even in "An Agreeable Nanny" those kids should have been in big trouble for all they did! But the only consequence was that they couldn't stay at home alone yet. The new kids don't do "normal kid stuff", and the consequences to their actions seem so minimal compared to the old kids, where there would be serious moments and not all giggles. I admit I mainly like the Washingtons, and aside from them getting kind of lenient at the end, they seemed to be a responsible and normal family like the classic Odyssey. But they weren't even on the show for that long, all things considered.

Another thing I notice is that "bad days" don't seem to happen so much now. the episodes are pretty cheery throughout, and nothing hard happens in life. The worst part of life that we get now is "we don't get dessert for dinner". What happened to kids doing something wrong, talking to whit, then confessing to their parents? Or tough times like Mr. Barclay losing his job, Mandy's parents getting divorced, etc? Is life so perfect that the biggest issues deal with no one getting to eat the malted milk balls? Seems the show is made for kids 6-10, rather than 8-12 now. Things have to be very silly or it's not interesting. Pretty much how a lot of kids' TV shows have gotten too. Wish Odyssey would be different from pop culture and teach the lessons AND consequences AND address tough issues, while still throwing some humor in there.

And what happened to the old characters? Whit being the wise and clever advice-giver, Eugene being the too-intelligent for his own good who needs an interpreter to talk to the kid, etc?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Bob wrote:Well, to be fair, it didn't feel like the show was written by the same writing staff a while ago, either, back after album 32 -- which I think was because it wasn't. ;-)

2) Golden Age stories are more plausible.

When you listen to a lot of the old episodes, like, say, "Two Sides to Every Story", it's funny because it's true. None of the situations that're portrayed in that episode are unreasonable. The worst thing that happens, the television going up in flames, seems relatively plausible and isn't even because of a deliberate action on the part of Donna or Jimmy.

Likewise, although "Thanksgiving At Home" does imply some unrealistic decisions (like Jimmy suggesting they use a chisel on the turkey), we don't necessarily see that they do any of these things. For the most part, we only know that they rely on conventional food-preparation techniques (the microwave, etc.) that simply aren't suited to the task of baking a turkey...a mistake that real children might make.

Finally, Golden Age children are always aware of their bounds. If they're disrespectful or disobedient, it's to an extent that you might expect a reasonable child to be in real life. Think back to "Family Vacation", when Jimmy and Donna are fighting it out in the back of the car; that's entirely believable. Likewise, their gradual drift from their parents' real instructions in "Two Sides" is believable.

Modern Age children meet very few of these standards; since the Washingtons were intended to be like a Barclay replacement, I will primarily use them for my counter-example.

A story that comes to mind, if you're looking for a "Two Sides" story, done Washington-style, is that episode where the kids decide that they have the right to do "just what Xavier does". They end up doing a whole bunch of things that their parents have explicitly prevented, up to and including crashing the lawnmower. Most of these things seem implausible in their own right; just one of them would be bad enough, and yet these kid characters go on to do *all* of them. It's such an extreme step up that it becomes entirely implausible.

Likewise, compare "An Agreeable Nanny" to "Thanksgiving At Home" -- the same situation is there, in that the kid characters consider using blatantly inappropriate tools to solve their immediate problems. The only difference is that the Parkers actually do it, and that leaps off into the bounds of fantasy...on the bright side, though, they do get punished for it, which didn't happen to the Washingtons (read below).

Finally, modern children are more likely to be ill-behaved or disobedient. The episode that pops into my mind as I write this is the Washington's visit to the fancy restaurant -- I can't remember its name -- where Tamika and Marvin run amok through most of the dinner. In reality, you know that your parents would've killed you if you left the table for more than ten minutes, much less if you did even half of the things they did in that episode...but that's not how things are in Modern-Age Odyssey. Mrs. Washington basically just says "I'm very disappointed in you" and lets them off with a slap on the wrist. There's no real punishment or significant grounding, in spite of the fact that their two bratty, uncontrolled kids turned a high-dollar restaurant upside-down, with property damage, blatant disrespect of adults, etc., etc., and etc. The Washington parents themselves seem entirely unconcerned, throughout the dinner, that their children are not in their sight, or eating the meal they presumably ordered. The entire thing crosses the line of fantasy into outright insanity, as though it's a Bizarro World where all the rules of decorum are turned upside-down. It's hard to imagine anyone in real life having such poor control over their kids.

I completely have to commend you for this post. You put words to my thoughts. The trouble that the kids get into is ridiculously over-the-top, with such minor consequences. Even in "An Agreeable Nanny" those kids should have been in big trouble for all they did! But the only consequence was that they couldn't stay at home alone yet. The new kids don't do "normal kid stuff", and the consequences to their actions seem so minimal compared to the old kids, where there would be serious moments and not all giggles. I admit I mainly like the Washingtons, and aside from them getting kind of lenient at the end, they seemed to be a responsible and normal family like the classic Odyssey. But they weren't even on the show for that long, all things considered.

Another thing I notice is that "bad days" don't seem to happen so much now. the episodes are pretty cheery throughout, and nothing hard happens in life. The worst part of life that we get now is "we don't get dessert for dinner". What happened to kids doing something wrong, talking to whit, then confessing to their parents? Or tough times like Mr. Barclay losing his job, Mandy's parents getting divorced, etc? Is life so perfect that the biggest issues deal with no one getting to eat the malted milk balls? Seems the show is made for kids 6-10, rather than 8-12 now. Things have to be very silly or it's not interesting. Pretty much how a lot of kids' TV shows have gotten too. Wish Odyssey would be different from pop culture and teach the lessons AND consequences AND address tough issues, while still throwing some humor in there.

And what happened to the old characters? Whit being the wise and clever advice-giver, Eugene being the too-intelligent for his own good who needs an interpreter to talk to the kid, etc?
Oh, thank you! These two posts show exactly how I've been feeling. =D> I agree 100%.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Well, it's released under the Odyssey canon, it's written by the same people, it's still good, and high quality... yeah. It's AIO.
he/him | a little stinker.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Steve wrote:it's still good, and high quality...
Well, that is questionable........
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

AIO Psyche wrote:
Steve wrote:it's still good, and high quality...
Well, that is questionable........
Not really.
he/him | a little stinker.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I just posted this on another thread, but will mention it here too. I listened to the first episode of The Green Ring Conspiracy and ahve high hopes that this album will restore the 'spirit of Odyssey' that has been lacking. The first episode did not disappoint!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

It's been like 2 years since I've been on here, but I am just so saddened by the new AIO that I had to stop in and see what everyone else thought. I think for me the biggest letdown is the new voice of Whit. I know he can't exactly replicate Paul, but Andre just seems so sugary and sweet, it's annoying everytime I try to listen. Combined with the overpaced music transitions, and other stuff I can't quite put my finger on right now, it just seems like the episodes are aimed at a MUCH younger audience or something than they used to be, and the new angle is to keep their attention span or something.

Whenever new episodes used to come out, I would listen to them over and over, but with this new album, there are only a few episodes I have listened to more than once....I know someone said on here that things need to change to become better, like cars. However, I think for me I prefer the classics. Sort of like when Whit tried to create the W.E. to stay up with the times, and Tom said that Whit's End had been around longer than most of the kids had been alive and that the charm is what kept bringing people back. I fell that the new Odyssey has lost most of it's charm and that new gimmicks to reach a younger audience isn't the way to go. I don't think it is so much the writing as the way the episodes are performed and the music that make me feel this way. And it would be great if they could keep some of the older characters, or at least give us some stable ones to stay instead of just throwing new ones in the mix constantly.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Jessicado wrote:It's been like 2 years since I've been on here, but I am just so saddened by the new AIO that I had to stop in and see what everyone else thought. I think for me the biggest letdown is the new voice of Whit. I know he can't exactly replicate Paul, but Andre just seems so sugary and sweet, it's annoying everytime I try to listen. Combined with the overpaced music transitions, and other stuff I can't quite put my finger on right now, it just seems like the episodes are aimed at a MUCH younger audience or something than they used to be, and the new angle is to keep their attention span or something.

Whenever new episodes used to come out, I would listen to them over and over, but with this new album, there are only a few episodes I have listened to more than once....I know someone said on here that things need to change to become better, like cars. However, I think for me I prefer the classics. Sort of like when Whit tried to create the W.E. to stay up with the times, and Tom said that Whit's End had been around longer than most of the kids had been alive and that the charm is what kept bringing people back. I fell that the new Odyssey has lost most of it's charm and that new gimmicks to reach a younger audience isn't the way to go. I don't think it is so much the writing as the way the episodes are performed and the music that make me feel this way. And it would be great if they could keep some of the older characters, or at least give us some stable ones to stay instead of just throwing new ones in the mix constantly.
1. JESSICADO!!!! Wow, haven't seen you in forever girl!!! How are you? :D (I love seeing a fellow vintage, classic original member :-))

2. I agree with your post. Paul is, for me, the only Whit. I grew up on his Whit, and he just nailed it. However, the new Whit is slowly growing on me. I still am not crazy about this Whit, but it's growing. Especially in 'Green Ring Conspiracy'.

I must say, 'The Green Ring Conspiracy' is starting very strongly. Have you heard the first part of the new saga? The new Whit is a lot better in this. Mainly, because we hear him show an emotion other than happy and super sweet. I think Andre needs to give Whit a little more 'teeth' so to speak. Make him more than just a super nice, grandpa. Whit isn't like that. At least, he isn't supposed to be. He is supposed to have a slight edge to his character.

Also, the writing in this first part of

And yes, all the charm of Odyssey is gone.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

The little 8 year old girl that I watch sometimes has just recently started listening to Odyssey alot. She loves to listen to the story "The Triangled Web" where Curt, Lucy, Jimmy and Jack all come back to Odyssey as adults. She was at my house yesterday and was listening to some classic episodes. All of the sudden she stopped and said, "This is nice being able to hear Lucy, Curt and Jimmy when they were kids!" I was thinking that this is how I always think of them and grew up with them like that!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

AIO Psyche wrote:I don't feel like the new seasons and the new Whit part of the AIO 'canon'. It just doesn't feel like Odyssey.

From my perspective, AIO ended with album 50, after Paul died. For me, it's a fitting end to the series.

I feel like they made that album to 'end' the show for us long time fans, and the new seasons are a new start to the show for younger fans. A reboot. It seems so simplified now.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like the show is written by the same writing staff.

How do you guys feel?
I agree. :( It seems like Odyssey doesn't seem like Odyssey anymore... Album 51 was a joke. Not to be mean or anything, it just wasn't good. The worst so far was probably When You're right, you're right. :roll: That was so... uncharacteristic of normal Odyssey? If the kids had done that in early Odyssey, it would've been better.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

Album 51 and 52 episodes are not completely horrible. For me in some ways it was hard to like them because of all the new characters, and Andre. But after listening to 51, 52, and 53 I'm getting used to the changes. And I'm getting used to Andre as Whit. He's not a significant match, but he doesn't pop out in my mind as much in 53 compared to when I first heard him in 51. He's definitely getting more into his character. I didn't have too many complaints about 51, and 52 but I can say 53 is much better.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I think Andre is more like Whit was supposed to be from the beginning. He seems more like the inventor/Geppetto type. Over the years Whit morphed into a more serious character. I like him fine I just wish they would make him do something. He should work on a new invention, go to his office, something. He seems to just say a few words here and there to fill in among everyone else's conversation.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

While I don't like the new albums as much I think that we need to accept that Odyssey will never be the same as it was. A lot of the old actors are well, old and won't be coming back. There are also a ton of new kids (some of which are really annoying), but that's no different than in the past. Odyssey has changed and it's not going to magically go back to the way it was before. In my opinion we just need to accept that Odyssey has changed and if we don't like it anymore we don't HAVE to keep listening. Honestly I didn't even listen to all of 52, but I think 53 will be awesome. Odyssey has always been like this, they have really bad albums and then really good ones. It's not going to stay bad forever but it has changed a lot and it will never be just like it was before.

I haven't listened to much Odyssey lately because frankly I think I'm starting to get to old for it. They are writing more younger geared episodes, but hey if that's how they want their show to sound they can make it that way, I just won't listen. :D

Edit: One more observation. The reality of Odyssey does not depend on if we "feel" like it is Odyssey. It hasn't changed at all, but the way the writers depict Odyssey has changed.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Joanne wrote: Edit: One more observation. The reality of Odyssey does not depend on if we "feel" like it is Odyssey. It hasn't changed at all, but the way the writers depict Odyssey has changed.
Very good point.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people say the exact same thing after the first hiatus? Odyssey has gone through several phases of reinventing itself. To those who have been listening forever, this change is abrupt and is disappointing, but to those who just started listening, it is new and fresh. (As occurred after the last hiatus)
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Dale
Gold Member

Post by Dale »

The new Odyssey is fine with me, it does seem a little bit more targeted towards little kids, but they may be bringing it back with the green ring conspiracy. I really liked the first episode! :)
PM me! I'd love to get to know you! Yes, YOU! :bounce:
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I guess it is Odyssey because FOF says it is...but it isn't as great.

My daughter and I are listening to Puns, Parables, and Perilous Predicaments right now and it reminds me all the more how good it used to be and how it has had its not so good times either. Anyone bring up the stupid "Sunset Bowlawater" or whatever else came out around 2001 (or whenever, I was in undergrad is what I remember...and the everlasting birthday or whatever else in that album. Wow).

I am still buying the albums, though. They are still entertaining and my husband and I typically listen to an episode in the evening before getting our daughter ready for bed. So it's still good family time for us.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

montywhittakerIII wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people say the exact same thing after the first hiatus? Odyssey has gone through several phases of reinventing itself. To those who have been listening forever, this change is abrupt and is disappointing, but to those who just started listening, it is new and fresh. (As occurred after the last hiatus)
I came to Odyssey late in life and only know the early albums through CD and weekday broadcasts. I did not even notice a first hiatus until I read the Official Guide so I went back and listened to the 'transition' albums both before and after. The only thing I noticed was the 'lack of whit', understandable but the characters carried on in a magnificent fashion with the arrival of Jason and Jack. Gone...and But Not Forgotten are two of my favorite episodes though I never listened during the Hal Smith years. I know him from so many other works he did. I first heard them on the Good Grief cassette album I ordered for the church library where I worked as we had just had a young family who lost their father suddenly and I thought it would help the kids release some pent up emotion.

I think some reviewers are also correct in that it is our perception of Odyssey that is disappointed after so many great episodes and albums, we tend to overlook the less spectacular. The Great Wishy Woz is one of my least favorite episodes though I like Sunset Bowlawater and The Eternal Birthday. I've been meaning to do a poll on the worst episodes ever, but haven't had time.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

Really? I've heard that alot of people don't like "The Great Wishy Woz", but I love that story. I don't think I listened to it when it first came out, but did for the first time last year I think. I loved the play on words of all the songs, script, etc., and cry whenever I hear the kind, reverent voice of Jesus in the middle of all the the fun and silliness.