Makeup

The general opinion

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What do you think about makeup?

It's like my American Express--don't leave home without it!
14%
Sure, I wear it, but it's not like it's a life-or-death thing.
38%
Uh...am I supposed to wear it? I can't even apply it!
No votes
Who cares about it?
17%
What is the deal with teenage girls and makeup?
31%

Total votes: 29

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Not like eye makeup--it's kind of hard not to tell when you're wearing eye makeup and when you aren't. But facial makeup such as foundation and blush is not something people should be able to telll from a distance. If they can tell standing about a foot away from you then it's not that big of a deal, but if they notice from a distance that you wear it it's not good.

Foundation, for instance, is one of those things that shouldn't be so distinguishable. It's supposed to even out the color of your face--for example, I use it because I had a nasty sunburn that I got last June all across the bridge of my nose and my cheeks just under my eyes and the red mark is still there. It's not embarrassing to go out without foundation on, but it just bugs me to see this red blotch on my face. But someone shouldn't be able to tell that I'm wearing foundation at a glance.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I don't wear a whole lot of makeup, don't really care to spend the time....

But then again, my knowledge of makeup is pretty slim. Since I don't wear it much, I don't know a whole lot about it. :shrugs:

Although, if there are any tips you all want to give on it, they are welcome.
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Just use Sharpies. :noway:
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

DanP740 wrote:Just use Sharpies. :noway:
hehe, nice try. \:D/

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
TigerintheShadows

Ouch--my eyes would burn from that. You can't effectively put it on your mouth either, and on your eyelids...well, let's just say it's wrong and not discuss things further, okay?

Stupid L key!
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Oh. Dear. That would be.... ug!! And ouch!!! That would be so bad for my skin, lips, etc!
*insert provocative quote here*
TigerintheShadows

Probably even worse than Bernard's Uncle Ted's Sharpie hair. That would hurt!
AIO tumblr sideblog
Helovesus
Green is good

Post by Helovesus »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
snubs wrote:My sister wears a lot of makeup everyday and it takes her forever to put it on! That, I can't handle. I mean, I don't feel like taking an hour or more to put on makeup... it is such a waste of my life.
Actually, you really don't need to take an hour putting on your makeup--even after a mess-up, it should only take about ten minutes at most! If it takes an hour every day, you're wearing too much.

It doesn't even take an hour for me to wake up, straighten my hair, put on my foundation liquid, foundation powder, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss, which I occasionally wear lipstick under. I only take about forty minutes, tops, and I'm trying to cut it down to thirty.

Which reminds me--does anyone here use a hair iron? I'm just curious, because I do.
I do :D i <3 sooooooo it much!!!! :]

as for makeup..... i wear eyeliner(both liquid and pencil) mascara and blush in the winter i wear foundation cause my skin gets REALLLLLYYYY bad but other than that.....oh and it only takes me 5ish minutes to do my makeup
Last edited by Helovesus on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese food is God's gift to mankind. He knew we'd live in a hurting world, so He gave us something to console ourselves with.

SnC.
Dakota
Found

Post by Dakota »

Helovesus wrote:as for makeup..... i wear eyeliner(both liquid and pencil) mascara and blush in the winter i wear foundation cause my skin gets REALLLLLYYYY bad but other than that.....oh and it only takes me 5ish minutes to do my makeup
ME TOO

not. I'm a guy.
I'za weirdo.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

The only guy I know who wears make-up is... well, does he still? Adam Lambert... haha... you can tell I keep up with absolutely nothing these days.

My best friend wears make-up whenever she wants. She's got buckets of it because her mom buys it for her. She looks... so over-painted, especially on the eyeshadow and eyeliner. I'm like "That attracts WHO?"

I'm with JIA. I look the same every day because I don't wear any. Too much money, too much time, and if a guy wants to like me for who I am (which I'm pretty sure Jeremy liked me...), then wearing make-up and then showing him what I look like underneath, regardless of how much, may not help the situation. Even just foundation can change what you truly look like. I also get very irritated by make-up, especially anything eye related. I will rub at my eye because its irritated, and OH! there goes my eye shadow, eyeliner, and mascara... The last time I put on make-up was for the Spring banquet and I had a date. That was in... April? I didn't say I went along willingly either, but if the cousin will cut my hair at the same time for free, I'LL DO IT! lol.

I also agree with Snubs. Putting on too much or even just some can say, "God, I don't like what you did with me, so I'm just going to make myself more flattering." Um... we are created in God's image, and he made us so beautiful, it's just the sin that is telling us we're not good enough. Just this past week I've been doing a lot of speeches for class, and I have a lot of pimples that I've tried to get rid of, but they stick around. So I have all these red marks on my face. I feel weird because it's ugly, but I guess I don't really care about covering it up because I don't. (And from what I've noticed, putting on make-up doesn't cover up what you want it to cover up... I've noticed. I've tried to cover up once my freckles. Yeah, they went NOWHERE) I still walk around as if I am who I am, not someone else. Sometimes I picture make-up as another identity - Well, my name is this (real name), but when I wear make-up, I'm this (a fake name). Just create a whole new name for yourself... lol.
Dakota
Found

Post by Dakota »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:The only guy I know who wears make-up is... well, does he still? Adam Lambert... haha... you can tell I keep up with absolutely nothing these days.

My best friend wears make-up whenever she wants. She's got buckets of it because her mom buys it for her. She looks... so over-painted, especially on the eyeshadow and eyeliner. I'm like "That attracts WHO?"

I'm with JIA. I look the same every day because I don't wear any. Too much money, too much time, and if a guy wants to like me for who I am (which I'm pretty sure Jeremy liked me...), then wearing make-up and then showing him what I look like underneath, regardless of how much, may not help the situation. Even just foundation can change what you truly look like. I also get very irritated by make-up, especially anything eye related. I will rub at my eye because its irritated, and OH! there goes my eye shadow, eyeliner, and mascara... The last time I put on make-up was for the Spring banquet and I had a date. That was in... April? I didn't say I went along willingly either, but if the cousin will cut my hair at the same time for free, I'LL DO IT! lol.

I also agree with Snubs. Putting on too much or even just some can say, "God, I don't like what you did with me, so I'm just going to make myself more flattering." Um... we are created in God's image, and he made us so beautiful, it's just the sin that is telling us we're not good enough. Just this past week I've been doing a lot of speeches for class, and I have a lot of pimples that I've tried to get rid of, but they stick around. So I have all these red marks on my face. I feel weird because it's ugly, but I guess I don't really care about covering it up because I don't. (And from what I've noticed, putting on make-up doesn't cover up what you want it to cover up... I've noticed. I've tried to cover up once my freckles. Yeah, they went NOWHERE) I still walk around as if I am who I am, not someone else. Sometimes I picture make-up as another identity - Well, my name is this (real name), but when I wear make-up, I'm this (a fake name). Just create a whole new name for yourself... lol.
I agree with every thing you said.
I'za weirdo.
TigerintheShadows

I think a lot of people consider makeup to be a mask for your real beauty (and I'm going to say it until I turn blue and there will still be people who believe this, but I like to argue, so yeah), but it's really not meant to be. It's supposed to draw attention to your real beauty--like eyeliner is supposed to make your eyes look bigger so people see how pretty they are, eyeshadow is supposed to highlight the color, that sort of thing. It's just that our culture has made it to where makeup is more like fakeup (if you'll pardon the cheesiness). The culture is trying to get more and more girls to sell both themselves and the idea that makeup makes them beautiful (it doesn't) and that they're just not beautiful enough (they're beautiful because God made them, and in His image, too).

But I do agree that eye makeup can be irritating. I mean, seriously, I didn't even know an eyelash could itch. Well, I found out in sixth grade after the first mascara application--I had just learned something new about eyelashes.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Oh, eyelashes can itch... lol. Mine do without anything on these days. My cousin gets a thing called a sty, and its a strain eyelash bugging her. She rubs at it. I think I get the same thing myself.
ique
Found

Post by ique »

i wear facepaint sometimes. and sometimes i put blush on my eyelids/around my eyes. that's pretty fun.
cover-up can be pretty useful sometimes too, like when i have a bit of an acne eruption*. i'm ghostly pale so a red dot is very distracting, and putting a little stroke of cover-up on it can make it less obnoxious. still visible, but not in the spotlight.

*acne eruption usually meaning that, to put it into very graphic terms, a zit has grown to be a plump, ripe volcano, filled with creamy puss, of which i've squeezed out - like toothpaste gushing from a tube - and as a result, generally turns bright red, due to the skin having been greatly distressed from its trials.

i've found that any other form of makeup makes me look dead, in some form. any colour of eye shadow, aside from peachy red, makes me look like a corpse. any form of lipstick is equally as repulsive. and eyeliner makes my eyes look tiny, instead of big. tiny, beady, dark little corpse eyes.
and mascara makes me look unflatteringly girly. i realise i'm a girl but seriously. it's hideous.

in conclusion, i've decided that face paint is superior in all possible ways.
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I wore makeup a few times when performing in plays, but I would never touch the stuff off the stage. :noway:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

ique wrote:i wear facepaint sometimes. and sometimes i put blush on my eyelids/around my eyes. that's pretty fun.
cover-up can be pretty useful sometimes too, like when i have a bit of an acne eruption*. i'm ghostly pale so a red dot is very distracting, and putting a little stroke of cover-up on it can make it less obnoxious. still visible, but not in the spotlight.

*acne eruption usually meaning that, to put it into very graphic terms, a zit has grown to be a plump, ripe volcano, filled with creamy puss, of which i've squeezed out - like toothpaste gushing from a tube - and as a result, generally turns bright red, due to the skin having been greatly distressed from its trials.

i've found that any other form of makeup makes me look dead, in some form. any colour of eye shadow, aside from peachy red, makes me look like a corpse. any form of lipstick is equally as repulsive. and eyeliner makes my eyes look tiny, instead of big. tiny, beady, dark little corpse eyes.
and mascara makes me look unflatteringly girly. i realise i'm a girl but seriously. it's hideous.

in conclusion, i've decided that face paint is superior in all possible ways.
I love the way you described that, ique. :lol: And I think your skin tone is amazing and very unique. :yes: Oh, and can you paint my face sometime?!
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Stage makeup is the worst, ug! And then you have to dance in it?!?! Grrrr...though I do love daily makeup. :D
*insert provocative quote here*
TigerintheShadows

I usually bring my makeup to school. My right eyelid happens to sweat more than my left eyelid, and that means that by the middle of the day, the eyeliner on my right eye is almost completely gone and there's this big dark brown line in the middle of my eyelid from, I suppose, the eyeshadow. Add my powder makeup almost being completely ruined, and you have me bringing my makeup to school every day to put on during breaks or during class (in the bathroom, mind you, not actually in class). It gives me an excuse to roam the halls, though! :yes:
AIO tumblr sideblog