Split from Presidential Candidates - Women in the kitchen

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Split from Presidential Candidates - Women in the kitchen

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

The King s Daughter wrote:
14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression."
I wonder where Paul got this from...I mean, Adam was given the instructions about the tree, not Eve.

Gen2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Whatever Adam passed onto her was either inadequate or incorrect. Where God tells Adam he wasn't supposed to eat from the tree, when Eve is talking to the serpent she throws in "or even touch it".

Gen 3:2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

And Adam was WITH her when she was tempted, DOING AND SAYING NOTHING.

Gen 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

Thanks for that Adam.

I see you arguing about married women, it seems. What about single ones? And the context of Paul's "women are to be silent" is because women were uneducated and were disrupting the church service with basic questions that could be answered at a more appropriate time. Which is why it's in/near the "order in worship" section of his letter.

Also, these verses are, every single one, about church leadership. We see plenty of examples in the bible with women in places of great prominence in the church and leaders of countries outside of the church.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression."
I wonder where Paul got this from...I mean, Adam was given the instructions about the tree, not Eve.

Gen2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Whatever Adam passed onto her was either inadequate or incorrect. Where God tells Adam he wasn't supposed to eat from the tree, when Eve is talking to the serpent she throws in "or even touch it".

Gen 3:2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

Gen 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

Thanks for that Adam.
Yes, Adam definitely didn't help the situation. But it was Eve who disobeyed God.

Adam could have reminded her, but it was her choice. He could have stopped her. But sooner or later when he wasn't around, she might have given in.
Jennifer Doyle wrote: I see you arguing about married women, it seems. What about single ones?
And the context of Paul's "women are to be silent" is because women were uneducated and were disrupting the church service with basic questions that could be answered at a more appropriate time. Which is why it's in/near the "order in worship" section of his letter.
Married or single, Paul still instructs that men should be over women in leadership of the church.

I see the reason for Paul instructing women "to be silent" during the church services as being this, "But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ."

Men have God given authority over women.

So basically, that's what I believe...

I hope that all made sense, I feel pretty brain-dead right now.

And I hope I didn't just make any enemies with my sisters in Christ over this. <3
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:

Thanks for that Adam.
Yes, Adam definitely didn't help the situation. But it was Eve who disobeyed God.

Adam could have reminded her, but it was her choice. He could have stopped her. But sooner or later when he wasn't around, she might have given in.
Adam sinned as much as Eve. Just as Eve was tempted by the serpent to eat the forbidden Adam was tempted by a serpent of his own, Eve, so to speak. So both sinned it's just that one sinned before the other and all in all they were tempted by the same person, the devil. It doesn't matter who sinned first, what matters is they both sinned.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Women belong in the kitchen. Married or single. Enough said.

(Ask my genius math class and they could tell you that in a second.)

(Also, according to my math class, when there is a committee women should not be allowed on it. ;))

Actually, in the church I think it's okay for women to be Sunday School teachers and have authority over the kids, but they shouldn't be pastors.

I think that men should be in the roles of leadership, and I don't think that women should be president, but I'm not against women having power (eg. Queen Esther). I don't think that women actually have to stay in the kitchen either, they can have jobs, but their priority should be their family.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

And if the world was ran by men absolutely... wow. I can't see it.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

So how many women here cover their heads/hair during worship? Or just, in general? Because that teaching follows directly under, and yet I see few women practicing it in the American church. Mars Hill, a very trendy church here in the Seattle area, has the no-women as pastors understanding, but they don't teach that we should cover our hair.

DaM, Adam was the "head" of Eve, a leader over her, and he stood there and allowed her to not only be twisted against what HE knew was right, watched her sin, and then participated himself.

My limited understanding is this, there is the way that God set into order that things should be done. Husbands and wives mutually submitting to each other, the woman to the man, the man to Christ. I DO think there are times when men FAIL to do what they have been called specifically by God to do, and women have been appointed by God. Deborah was appointed as a judge. It doesn't say she was only dealing with women. It's assumed she was judging men and women. When the guy God called to lead them into battle BALKED, Deborah did it.

I don't really understand the vague teaching (not just that I've seen around the board, in my real life) about every woman being subject to every man. That doesn't make sense. Am I subject to the random fellow walking down the street? Are single women like the possessions of their fathers until they get passed to their husbands? What if your father isn't a Christian? I am not subject to my father in a spiritual sense because he doesn't follow Christ. I consider myself subject to God.

Anyway, this is ALL in a spiritual sense. There is nothing in the Bible that leads me to believe a woman should not lead other things, companies, small groups, be teachers/college professors, be politicians, be presidents. We see evidence to the contrary of that argument IN the Bible.

Additionally, there are already women presidents. Also additionally, I don't think it can get much worse than the current one so I'm willing to let a woman try her hand at it :p
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

For everything Paul said, you have to look at the time he wrote it. During that time women were treated as a less of an equal. To have uncovered hair was a sign that they were prositutes.

Eve was decieved....but Adam sinned outright. He was the one God told not to eat of the fruit. sure, Eve wasn't allowed to either. But Adam was placed as the one in charge. He was with her and he never bothered trying to stop her. So technically they both sinned. It wasn't just one. And to add on to that they hid from God and blamed others.

And there have been some pretty good women in leadership. Look at Queen Elizabeth of England. I believe they called her Good Queen Beth. She seemed to run the country a lot better then her father did.

So personally I think that even though men are to be in a leadership over women - in certian situations - women don't have to stay home or something like that. They can do other things as well. Look at Deborah. God placed her in leadership. So I think that women belong wherever God chooses they belong, be it stay at home, run a country, or something else.

And I think the women being subject to man was meant more as honoring them and respecting them. They don't have to be Christians for you to do that. And that doesn't mean you always have to obey them. If they ask you to do something that disobeys God then they aren't doing what they're suppose to do either.
Men, love your wives as God loves the church.
Women, honor your husbands for in this way you are honoring God
Children, obey your parents for in this you are doing right.
Last edited by StrongNChrist on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

It's definitely wherever God chooses you to be is where you should be, none of this "God only picks women if there aren't any good men" mess. Women are just as good as men...in most areas....that being said...they still shouldn't be allowed into any infantry MOS. :x
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Batman wrote:It's definitely wherever God chooses you to be is where you should be, none of this "God only picks women if there aren't any good men" mess. Women are just as good as men...in most areas....that being said...they still shouldn't be allowed into any infantry MOS. :x
What's MOS mean? I'm assuming you're saying women shouldn't be allowed in the military.... :-s

If so, then I have to agree. Personally I don't think women should be involved in battles. Or if they are they should not be in the actual fighting. Nurses and doctors on the battlefields are okay, but the actual fighting should be left to men. Not only does the having to train together, sleep together, shower together, etc cause a lot of issues but women just aren't built the same way as men and aren't really built to do things that physicul. with some exceptions of course.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Honestly, Paul wrote what he wrote because it related to the people of his time--this was the exact way Jesus taught, was it not? There are many people out there who just don't understand the significance of what Jesus was talking about, and yet back then pretty much everybody knew what He was saying.

Now yes, even today wives are to submit to their husbands. But this doesn't mean that wives can never lead people ever at all, zip zero nada zilch goose eggs no exceptions.

And whoever said that the president has absolute power or something of the like? They don't lead all by themselves. If a woman were to become president, she would not be ruling alone. That's why there are three branches of government.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

StrongNChrist wrote:
Batman wrote:It's definitely wherever God chooses you to be is where you should be, none of this "God only picks women if there aren't any good men" mess. Women are just as good as men...in most areas....that being said...they still shouldn't be allowed into any infantry MOS. :x
What's MOS mean? I'm assuming you're saying women shouldn't be allowed in the military.... :-s

If so, then I have to agree. Personally I don't think women should be involved in battles. Or if they are they should not be in the actual fighting. Nurses and doctors on the battlefields are okay, but the actual fighting should be left to men. Not only does the having to train together, sleep together, shower together, etc cause a lot of issues but women just aren't built the same way as men and aren't really built to do things that physicul. with some exceptions of course.
Military Occupational Specialty.

It's not that they shouldn't be in the military, because there are TONS of non combative MOSs out there...they just simply shouldn't be infantry...mostly because of the things you listed.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Women should make me donuts.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

The Top Crusader wrote:Women should make me donuts.
Somehow I think you think everyone should make you donuts. ;)

My opinion on this subject is: we can spend our entire lives trying to interprate spiritual things with our un-spiritual minds, but it will never come to fruition. If we're following God to the best of our ability and receiving direct feedback from the Holy Spirit, we wouldn't need to try to draw a bunch of complicated doctrinal lines about what's wrong, what's right, what's the best way to do things. As a body we should stop arguing about God's word with our heads and start submitting to Him with our hearts.

I'm not going to let tradition or speculation tell me how my religion is supposed to be. I'm going to study God's word with an open heart and let him guide me, because if God's directing my path, how can I go wrong?
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Batman wrote:It's not that they shouldn't be in the military, because there are TONS of non combative MOSs out there...they just simply shouldn't be infantry...mostly because of the things you listed.
Don't tell that to Joan of Arc. ;)

But yeah, I'm ambivalent about women in the military. If they want to do it, fine. Go for it - Godspeed. I'd personally prefer to join JAG which is non-combative anyway even if you do have to go through basic. ;)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I think IF a woman wants to be a police officer, firefighter, in the military, they should be held to THE standard. Not women's and men's separate standards. Personally, I don't want to be drug down the stairs by a female firefighter, I want to be carried. Women want "equality" and then settle for "women's standards". I bet there are a FEW women who can meet THE standard in "male dominated" jobs. Good on ya, then they should be allowed in. I don't like the double-standard.

For non-combat jobs in the military, I can see an exception to that, but with the current wars we're fighting, non-combat is a grey area.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well currently only males are allowed in 0300/11X (Infantry) and all that, and that should be the way it stays simply for training costs, housing costs, and plenty of other social reasons...and as far as the non-combat jobs being a grey area, every enlistee man or woman are trained in combat in MCT/BCT, for the off occasion they're forced to fight.