Where is Odyssey???

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
WootonB
Gold Member

Where is Odyssey???

Post by WootonB »

Where do you think odyssey is? Post where you think Odyssey is. Heres my guess:
Misouri...http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

I think it's near Ohio. When I wrote to Odyssey Chris told me to imagine it wherever I wanted it to be. LOL I choose Ohio!
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

The Joker wrote:I think it's near Ohio. When I wrote to Odyssey Chris told me to imagine it wherever I wanted it to be. LOL I choose Ohio!
Well, actually you're right. It is Ohio. Now, I know some people will argue against this, but in Family Portraits, it clearly states that Odyssey is in Ohio, therefore, as far as I'm concerned it is Ohio! Now, I'm from Ohio, so maybe I'm partial, but that said, if Member of the Family and some of the other Family Portraits episodes are canon, then I think they all should be! But that's just me :-)
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

I don't know where Odyssey is, but you can find out: http://www.odysseyscoop.com/odyssey. Woot!
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, its in Ohio the only time its location is ever mentioned. Certain things contradict that a bit, but its the best and only answer we have. ;)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

My guess has always been in South Bend, Indiana (which is very close to Ohio). It was part of the Underground Railroad, Johnny Appleseed planted apples in the area (as mentioned on Tom's farm), it is directly north of Florida (Family Vacation) and Iowa is directly in between it and California (Eugene/Bernard's road trip adventures). The only Indiana quote for "Where Odyssey is Not" isn't convincing at all. Neither is Michigan's, so it could easily be any of those.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

It's got to be Ohio. It could be Indiana I guess, but I still think Odyssey is meant to be a town in Ohio with some Colorado-ish features.
One point to bring up though, my brother was just in Ohio, and he says that all the lakes there are Man-made? Is that true? Because if it is, Trickle Lake is man-made.

Also, here are two links to some random Wikipedia pages I found. Could this be the Campbell of Campbell county and Campbell College?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell,_Ohio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_A._Campbell
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I was wondering that it might be in Ohio or Illinois. But Family Portraits--IMO--shouldn't be counted as part of the Odyssey Canon. And I *think* that somewhere it was mentioned that Odyssey could be Ohio, but not based on the Family Portraits/Odyssey USA.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

Marvin D. wrote:I was wondering that it might be in Ohio or Illinois. But Family Portraits--IMO--shouldn't be counted as part of the Odyssey Canon. And I *think* that somewhere it was mentioned that Odyssey could be Ohio, but not based on the Family Portraits/Odyssey USA.
I guess I understand, and a lot of people agree with you, but I still consider it canon— if for no other reason than the fact that half of the episodes re-aired as AIO episodes. I kind of equate it to a television series that makes a character change and then NEVER mentions it... ala Chuck on "Happy Days". Anyone remember him? For me, "Family Portraits" is the pilot. It's like a movie that a series is based on. Star Wars is canon... but so is Clone Wars. You know what I mean? That's my argument for it anyone, but you very well could be right and the odyssey staff probably don't consider it canon. However, I always will :-)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Your "pilot" episode idea works for me. It really was a test/kick-off. However, I don't think it is quite cannon. On The Cosby Show pilot, the episode takes place in a house that was changed for the first season (and all the seasons after that). Similarly, Odyssey could have been considered in Ohio for the pilot, but another place from then on.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, I say Ohio. :noway:

But in all honesty, I think it simply ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ANY SPECIFIC STATE, on purpose.

Like Springfield on the Simpsons.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Odyssey is a place in the back of our minds that's pretty much wherever we want it to be. Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, wherever, we know it's most likely up in that area geographically.

But if we didn't have hints that it was up in the Northern Midwest, I'd guess it was somewhere down South. \:D/
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

The Top Crusader wrote:But in all honesty, I think it simply ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ANY SPECIFIC STATE, on purpose.
That's what I always thought... :-k

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

You know, something just hit me while I was driving home from work tonight. I was listening to "A Most Surprising Return" and the episode 'The Power of One' came on. Well, it got me thinking. If Whit's radio station has the call letters KYDS, then that means that Odyssey HAS to be located WEST of the Mississippi. In 1923, The FCC mandated that all new radio stations east of the Mississippi River would be required to use "W" as the first letter and stations west of the Mississippi would use "K". All stations east of the Mississippi with a K were grandfathered the right to use that letter. There are very few and they are all very old! Since KYDS Radio began in the late 80's, it would mean they HAVE to be located west of the Mississippi.

That said, if we were required to think logically, we'd have to admit that Whit is pushing 90 years old, Connie is not a kid anymore, and Eugene is actually married. Also, for some unexplained reason, Tom Riley, Jack Allen, & Bernard never stop by Whit's End anymore. I guess this is where you have to take the advice of the creators of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and "repeat to yourself it's just a show and I should really just relax"!!
Dr. Bluegaard
Not as new

Post by Dr. Bluegaard »

American Eagle wrote: The only Indiana quote for "Where Odyssey is Not" isn't convincing at all.
Agreed.
Trust me, I'm a doctor
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Dr. Bluegaard wrote:
American Eagle wrote: The only Indiana quote for "Where Odyssey is Not" isn't convincing at all.
Agreed.
Honestly, it almost seems like just a quote. I don't get the relevancy it has as to whether Odyssey is in Indiana or not.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

therealjoecool wrote:
The Joker wrote:I think it's near Ohio. When I wrote to Odyssey Chris told me to imagine it wherever I wanted it to be. LOL I choose Ohio!
Well, actually you're right. It is Ohio. Now, I know some people will argue against this, but in Family Portraits, it clearly states that Odyssey is in Ohio, therefore, as far as I'm concerned it is Ohio! Now, I'm from Ohio, so maybe I'm partial, but that said, if Member of the Family and some of the other Family Portraits episodes are canon, then I think they all should be! But that's just me :-)
I totally agree with you and never understood all the questions about exactly where it is.We know. I think they tried to make it sort of 'anywhere, USA' as time went on, but Odyssey began as Family Portraits, you can't deny that.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

Post by Young&Mighty »

Well if anyone doubts that Odyssey's in Ohio, here's the following pieces of evidence pointing in that direction:

1. Family Portraits said so.
2. One of the Final Legs of the Underground Railroad was Odyssey, and the last US state the Underground Railroad used was in Ohio (The fugitives then used Lake Erie to cross to Canada)
3. The fact that Whit travels to Chicago often gives a clear indication that Odyssey is really close to Illinois. Indiana is closer to Chicago than Ohio, BUT Whit travels to Chicago often by plane.

I'm also speculating that the closest large city to Odyssey would be either Cleveland or Columbus.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"