Indiana Jones References in Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Indiana Jones References in Odyssey

Post by rickyderocher »

Since I'm working on my Indy fan game, Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold, I'm into all things Indy at the moment.

So here's my list of Indiana Jones References and Influences in Odyssey:

1. Direct Reference - In the episode "The Jesus Cloth" - Connie referring to Whit's friend, Alfred - "A real life Indiana Jones, huh?"
2. Direct Reference - In the Odyssey novel "Danger Lies Ahead" - Jack and Oscar whistle the theme music to Indiana Jones while going into school.
3. Parody - In the Episodes "The Cross of Cortez, Part I and II" - Whit and Eugene head to Mexico in search of the Cross of Cortez. The cross is obviously inspired by or a spoof of the Cross of Coronado in the gambit scene of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Also these episodes contain Indy elements such as looking for a lost artifact that is said to have supernatural powers and racing to get to it before the bad guys do.
4. Possible Parody - In the Episode "Hidden in My Heart" - The fake Scripture Phaser gives the false scripture reference - "Jedidiah (spelling?) Jones 4:6 - "Those who grab jackets must surely die." The name Jedidiah Jones seems to be a spoof of Indiana Jones.
5. Influence - The episodes "The Search for Whit, Part I, II and III" have a lot of Indiana Jones influence. The Search for Whit is almost Odyssey's version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. At the beginning of the story, Jason receives a package in the mail which contains his father's tape dairy/journal. In the Last Crusade, near the beginning of the story, Indy receives a package in the mail which contains his father's grail dairy. Both have the main characters looking for their fathers who disappear while on the trial of an important archeological find - Jason's father disappears while looking for the Q document, Indy's father disappears while looking for the Holy Grail. In both, the main characters are at first not concerned with finding the artifact but instead are merely concerned with finding their fathers. In both the main characters are not really what they seem at first and there is a lot of deception - In the Search for Whit - Professor Charles and Whit's friend Alfred turn out to really be bad guys, in the Last Crusade, Donovan and Elsa turn out to be bad guys. The race to get to the artifact first before the bad guys do, and bad guys who want to use the artifact for the wrong purposes are a common element in Indy adventures, and are in the Search for Whit. In the Last Crusade, Indy goes through Catacombs in Italy, in Search for Whit, Jason and the rest go through Catacombs in Israel.
6. Possible Parody - In the Episode "Living in the Gray, Part I" - When Jimmy is trying to sneak into the senator's home, Connie arrives and interrupts. The senator's guard dogs wake up, and Jimmy runs to Connie's car. Jimmy shouts "Start your car, please! Start the car!" This may be a parody of when Indy runs to the plane while being chased by natives in the gambit of Raiders of the Lost Ark - Indy shouts "Start the plane, Jock! Start the plane!"
7. Parody - The album "The Lost Episodes" - In the album art, Whit is dressed like Indiana Jones with leather jacket and hat, and he is running from a giant boulder.
:new: 8. Direct Reference - In the episode "Lost by a Nose" - Liz refers to the pimple on her nose as the "Temple of Doom", a reference to the Indy film - Temple of Doom.
:new: 9. Odyssey Actor in an Indy Movie - Katie Lee who is the voice of Connie on Odyssey did the voice over for the young Maharajah in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Last edited by rickyderocher on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Also on the third one: The scene where the cross gets dropped and Dan tries to reach and get it mirrors the scene in the Last Crusade where the grail gets dropped and they can almost reach it. I think the dialogue is even somewhat similar.
...I hate marquees.
rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

J-man wrote:Also on the third one: The scene where the cross gets dropped and Dan tries to reach and get it mirrors the scene in the Last Crusade where the grail gets dropped and they can almost reach it. I think the dialogue is even somewhat similar.
You're right. :)

I was hoping that the whole saga of Eugene trying to find his father would end up in some Indy style adventure looking for some amazing lost artifact that Eugene's father's captors wanted to find and that's why they kept him locked up all those years - but it didn't turn out like that. What a disappointment. :(
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Wow, that was rather interesting! :D I never knew there was that much.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Cool stuff, although I'm hard pressed to include "Jedadiah Jones"... its not as if Jones is really an uncommon name. ;)
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

I think the on newer cover for album 27, Jason is supposed to be dressed like Indiana Jones too.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

The Top Crusader wrote:Cool stuff, although I'm hard pressed to include "Jedadiah Jones"... its not as if Jones is really an uncommon name. ;)
lol. I always thought that was just a spoof on a book of the Bible, but hey now that I see this thread, it could be an Indy reference.

Till the end of the line.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is really good trivia. Thanks for the info!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The lost episodes may be a homage to lost ark in conjunction with the album art you mentioned.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Great compilation, rickyderocher! I'm not too familiar with Indiana Jones-- I've seen one film-- but this list is top notch.
rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

Two more to add to the list:

8. Direct Reference - In the episode "Lost by a Nose" - Liz refers to the pimple on her nose as the "Temple of Doom", a reference to the Indy film - Temple of Doom.
9. Odyssey Actor in an Indy Movie - Katie Lee who is the voice of Connie on Odyssey did the voice over for the young Maharajah in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Mhm...you said number 9 already, Ricky. ;) But yeah...this is rather interesting. Odyssey and Indiana Jones!

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

Marvin D. wrote:Mhm...you said number 9 already, Ricky. ;) But yeah...this is rather interesting. Odyssey and Indiana Jones!
Nope, I just updated the main post with 8 and 9. :)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

rickyderocher wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:Mhm...you said number 9 already, Ricky. ;) But yeah...this is rather interesting. Odyssey and Indiana Jones!
Ooooohhhh....my fault. :cry:

rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

Marvin D. wrote:
rickyderocher wrote:
Ooooohhhh....my fault. :cry:
No problem. I should mark 8 and 9 as new. I'll edit it.
Godman7
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Godman7 »

I'd love! To see the indiana jones series!