Odyssey + the Real World

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

Last week I was on vacation at a hotel with a soda shop. It reminded me of Whit's End. Yesterday, I was at Half-Price books and saw a cd album with the artist The Pool Boys (I nearly bought it). I also watched part of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and noticed the main character's name was Arthur Dent. So weird and yet so cool.
They say all roads lead to Rome, and all roads lead through Indiana. But I say that in the world of Odyssey, all roads lead to Novacom.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Last week we were at my grandparent's house eating dinner and someone said something about okra, which reminded both me and my mom of "that okra video" lol.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

IamConnie wrote:I also watched part of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and noticed the main character's name was Arthur Dent. So weird and yet so cool.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is actually where AIO's Arthur Dent got his name.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
IamConnie wrote:I also watched part of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and noticed the main character's name was Arthur Dent. So weird and yet so cool.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is actually where AIO's Arthur Dent got his name.
Yeah, my dad actually said that he once had a computer named Arthur Dent.
The other day I overheard my dad mention a music group called The Water Boys, which reminded me of the Pool Boys from Wooing Wooton.
A couple days ago, there was a kid at a New Year's party named Mitch. It felt a little awkward whenever anybody said his name.
EDIT: The other day (at the aforementioned New Year's party), my friends and I were talking about electronics and appliances that would say things like, "Goodbye!" on their screens, and I was like, "I know a fictional story about this guy who programmed all his appliances to say whenever they needed to be changed or whatever, and it drove his wife crazy." My friend was like, "That would drive me crazy too."
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

We have this event at my school where students perform older songs (before our generation). This event took place last night, and this year, one of the songs performed was "Smoke on the Water." Now, I'm very unfamiliar with older songs (and newer ones too, but that's beside the point), and so the only knowledge I had of that song prior to the event was Rodney's "You guys know Smoke on the Water?" and the subsequent musical sequence (in the episode "Family Values," after Bart and Doris had attempted to sing him a lullaby). So, having never heard that song before, I instantly thought of Odyssey when I saw it listed on the program, and couldn't wait to hear if it sounded anything like that musical sequence from "Family Values"... and it did! :D

So now I can officially say that "Smoke on the Water" is a song that reminds me of AIO. Not to mention that the performance rocked (to think that I used to wonder if that was a real song, or if they just made up the title for the episode!)! \:D/

EDIT:

Did you know that a Hal Smith lost to Herbert Hoover in the 1928 presidential election?

Well, actually it was Al Smith, but I totally heard Hal when my professor said the name, and didn't realize my error until just now, when Google revealed the unfortunate truth.

It's still cool, though! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's awesome! :lol: I love it. I love reading other people's Odyssey moments. I know that I had something that I wanted to share, but I forget what it was right now. :anxious: If I remember, I'll write it down so I don't forget again!
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I think the biggest one that I've ever had was that Robert and Connie Mitchell finding in the phone book that I posted about a while back, but I've heard Katie Leigh on Olivia, which is my sister's favorite TV show, I found Shane Baumel and Jordon Orr in A Boyfriend for Christmas, and Jerry Houser narrating a Christmas light special on TV.
EMBEE
I've been working out

Post by EMBEE »

Last weekend when I was at a church youth retreat, one of my leaders' last names was Kindell. Almost the same.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

When I was in Boston last summer I visited Bunker Hill. I passed through a park with a bunch of plaques on my way up the hill, and just as I was passing out of the park I happened to see a name out of the corner of my eye that caught my attention:

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Oh, man! I went to Bunker Hill and I can't believe I missed that! Oh well. :(
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

I was watching the beginning of the TV show "Psych" and it was showing a flashback of a character-Spencer- being taught by his cop father how to escape the trunk of a car if he was ever locked in one. Immediately, my mind flew to the AIO episode where Mitch is talking about how to escape the trunk of a car. Later, Mitch escapes using this method. Likewise, Spencer escapes in present time. It was so cool. My siblings teased me all week because I said, "Hey, it's that thing Mitch did!"
They say all roads lead to Rome, and all roads lead through Indiana. But I say that in the world of Odyssey, all roads lead to Novacom.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

^heck yes! that's really cool! I like psych too :yes:

Till the end of the line.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

My parents adore Pysch! That's cool that there is a sort-of Odyssey reference in there! :D
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Haha, I saw that same episode of Psych and thought the same thing! \:D/
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I have never really seen any connection between the real world & Odyssey!!
*insert provocative quote here*
EMBEE
I've been working out

Post by EMBEE »

There were so many things at camp this week that reminded me of Odyssey, I don't even remember what most of them were. One of them was finding the name Danny Schmidt on a list. Also while I was raking all day Monday, I wished I had a Super Raker.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

My dad works at Campbell College, so of course I always think of CCCC! It was also founded by a J. Campbell, who was also the founder of CCCC! Cool!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I wish I had more people to share things about Odyssey with...my family's like, the only people in my town who seem to know what I'm talking about.

Today, we were eating in O'Charley's, and sitting in the booth just reminded me of that AIO episode when Connie and Mitch were IMing:

Mitch: And you dropped a meatball in your lap and thought I didn't see it.
Connie: Well, you can forget that if you want...
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

today as I was walking, I saw the name "Mackay" on a mailbox, which of course made me think of Grady Mckay! it was pretty cool

Till the end of the line.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

We have a Glassman street in our town, which is too close for comfort, as well as a Maxwell St! \:D/