Which Whit?

do you prefer?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which Whit do you prefer?

Hal Smith
59%
Paul Herlinger
35%
Andre what's-his-face
6%

Total votes: 34

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Which Whit?

Post by Trixie Belden »

I was curious which of the three Mr. Whittaker's we've had so far is everyone's favorite. The rest of my family likes Paul the best, but I prefer Hal, especially when I'm tired. He just helps me relax and feel better somehow. And if anyone says Andre, they are subject to my menacing hot pink killer bunnies! Yes, they are a lot more dangerous then they look. :x
So vote away!
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

There are things that I like about each Whit voice, but Hal Smith will always be the best one.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It is really a toss up for me. When I started listening to AIO I first heard Hal Smith during the week, then on the weekend I heard Paul Herlinger. I did not know until I bought my copy of the first Complete Guide that Hal Smith had died in 1994 and Paul Herlinger had stepped in to replace Hal. I like Hal, I like Paul and I like Andre even though like everyone else I've only heard him in the Passages episodes. I'm afraid I can't vote on this one.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Hal Smith. No question. :P
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Definitely Paul H. I really think he did so much better of a job then Hal. As for the new guy, Andre... I really haven't heard him enough yet.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Paul Herlinger did a good job, but Hal Smith was by far a more talented actor and could bring 100000% more emotion to the character. Paul was great for "relaxed Whit" but he lost alot of the neat intonations that Hal had when his mood changed. I mean, if you are the second to play a role, you always are going to run into things like that, and the original is always the best because thats who the character is.

Andre... well, I was saddened when I heard the Passages opening with him and Alan Young, but he did a pretty good job on the narrating, so I'll have to hear a few regular episodes before I can really judge him.
Sean Regan
Just visiting

Post by Sean Regan »

I grew up on the AIO videos. And the thing with animation is that (for me at least), if you're not expecting a change, if it's not too drastic, it'll probably be unnoticed. As a result, I grew up hearing both Hal and Paul without really thinking that it was two different actors. Having started listening to the audio series more recently, I can definitely tell which is which between them, but I really like both a lot and picking a favorite would be tough. Just in this moment, I'd probably lean toward Hal Smith, but it'd be a tough decision.

I just started listening to the new Passages series the other night, so I'm still debating over what I think of Andre. There is no doubt that he sounds more like Hal than Paul. Paul tended to speak a bit lower in the vocal register than Hal. Hal would have higher intonations sometimes. I think Andre would sound less like Bernard and Jack and more like Whit if he would focus more on trying to speak more in his lower register, but that's just my opinion. He had moments where he sounded more like Hal in the narration, but for the most part, it was a bit disappointing. Hiring a new actor to take over a classic role is always difficult and rarely is accepted strongly right away. It would be nice if Andre had tried to emulate Paul a little more, just so the change wouldn't be so jarring, but that's just personal opinion.

Speaking of Passages for a half second, I could've sworn that was Townsend Coleman as Darien...
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Sean Regan wrote:I grew up on the AIO videos. And the thing with animation is that (for me at least), if you're not expecting a change, if it's not too drastic, it'll probably be unnoticed. As a result, I grew up hearing both Hal and Paul without really thinking that it was two different actors. Having started listening to the audio series more recently, I can definitely tell which is which between them, but I really like both a lot and picking a favorite would be tough. Just in this moment, I'd probably lean toward Hal Smith, but it'd be a tough decision.
I was about to say something almost identical to this but then I read your post and realized you said basically exactly what I was thinking. :lol: I also grew up with the movies, plus I would listen to Hal reruns on weekdays and new Paul episodes on weekends, so I got so used to both that I didn't really pay attention to the fact that they were two different actors, but I also can easily tell the difference now, yet still respect both equally as Whit.
And the same goes that if I had to pick, I'd choose Hal. This year I went through from the beginning of the series to the end, and have really started to enjoy listening to Hal as Whit. His voice just fits what the character of Whit should be like, (of course that's what the character of Whit was originally created to be like.) I appreciate everything Paul has done, and can't imagine what the show would be like without him, but he doesn't always have quite the right emotions.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sean Regan wrote: Speaking of Passages for a half second, I could've sworn that was Townsend Coleman as Darien...
Welcome to the ToO, Sean Regan. :D When I first heard Darien's Rise I thought that Darien sounded similar to Townsend Coleman as well, though it wasn'thim. But I felt like it could have been!

I grew up listening to Hal Smith, and I really love his voice. His laugh is one of the best sounds in the world. He is definitely my favourite voice for Whit. However, I did really enjoy listening to Paul Herlinger as Whit as well. He was also talented and I love hearing his voice too, though I do still prefer Hal Smith. I don't want to judge Andre [insert last name here] as Whit yet, since I've only heard him in a primarily narrator role in Darien's Rise. I'd like to hear him more before saying how Whit-like I think he is. I'm a bit old to embrace change ;) and I know that it will take a little while to get used to, but I'm sure that I will grow to like his voice. I don't know if I'll love it, because I usually do need time to get used to changes like this, and I grew up with a different voice, but it's better than losing Whit!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I say Paul Herlinger, who I grew up listening to (i.e. Novacom saga). Hal Smith sounded very similar to Paul when I heard the old ones, so I never really had a reason to like Hal more. No one's really heard Andre yet (except for narrating Passages), so we'll have to see about him.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I like Paul Herlinger's voice the best, but Hal Smith comes in a close second. That Andre's voice is something I'll really have to get use to.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Hal Smith is the true Whit! Someone needs to design a tattoo with that phrase...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Who voted Andre? They can't do that! BOO! You're not a true Odyssey fan! :noway:

Note: I am completely joking and I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Just put a ;) after your post and your "Note:" won't need to be stated. ;)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Hal Smith, no question. From birth I heard his voice as Whit, and while Paul did an excellent job bringing a more "laid back" tone and saving the show, he could never replace Hal's warm, grandfatherly laugh.

I shouldn't judge Andre since I haven't heard much of him. Regardless, I doubt he'll ever replace Hal.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Over the Rainbow wrote:I shouldn't judge Andre since I haven't heard much of him. Regardless, I doubt he'll ever replace Hal.
You're right. He'll be replacing Paul.

;)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
JoyElectric
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by JoyElectric »

With Hal Smith, there was both the warmth and the feeling that Whit always wore a smile around the kids (and Connie, Tom, and Eugene much of the time), and he came off as just a little bemused.

Paul Herlinger had the "warmth" part of Whit down in his voice, and I felt that the Novacomm series (specifically around "Chains") showed off this part rather well.

From what I'm hearing of Andre Stojka, he has the bemused aspect down, and I hear a little of that smile at the same time.

While I guess I would vote for Hal Smith, Paul Herlinger amazed me with both his closeness to Hal's voice and the ability to grow. Plus I loved some of his side voices - he had that "Yiddish" voice that was hilarious.

And I'm really looking forward to hearing more of Mr. Stojka. He has some big shoes to fill :)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Andre what's-his-face. (Not really). Hal Smith had that sort of laugh I really liked.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

KODY 105 wrote:
Over the Rainbow wrote:I shouldn't judge Andre since I haven't heard much of him. Regardless, I doubt he'll ever replace Hal.
You're right. He'll be replacing Paul.

;)
HOBO KIDDD! :x
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I've never been able to tell the difference between Paul and Hal....I don't remember when I started listening to AIO but by that time I think Paul was already playing Whit so I voted for Paul.
To be honest, I really don't like Andre's voice that much for Whit...Probably 'cause I'm not used to it. Once they have more episodes with him in it I'm sure it'll get better.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~