New Passages and Characters

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

The new designs are surprisingly good. They're a huge improvement on the overdone caricatures from the last few years of albums and probably the best designs for the series yet. I guess they've realized that it's a better plan to sell products that don't have ugly characters on them. It's a shame about Whit, though. Something really doesn't work with his design. Connie on the other hand...
Last edited by Ferder on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

My brother said Eugene looks like Elvis, Whit looks like a thin version of Santa and Connie looks like a wicked, rebellious teenager. (like 13 years old) And Wooton looks like dumb-dumb head.

I think they're OK.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Ferder wrote:They're a huge improvement on the overdone caricatures from the last few years of albums
Oh, Connie's head really is 4 times the size of her body?

Btw, good to see you again.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

DanP740 wrote:
Ferder wrote:They're a huge improvement on the overdone caricatures from the last few years of albums
Oh, Connie's head really is 4 times the size of her body?

Btw, good to see you again.
The characters have always been depicted as cartoons (caricatures) with big heads, but what I meant by overdone is that they've been looking extra goofy in the last few albums
Example
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Yes, the most recent albums have been rather overdone, but her head seems to have swelled to new heights...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Vlipvlop
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Vlipvlop »

I personally really like the new Whit's design. Not that I base my perspective of the character off of the album covers anyway, but he looks much better that the recent Whit, who's head was the same size as his body. :P I don't really mind the new Eugene or Connie either. I never pictured Eugene with hair in front of his eyes anyway. That would have made it seem unreal, and I imagine Odyssey as a real place with real people, not an animated cartoon.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Vlipvlop wrote:I personally really like the new Whit's design. Not that I base my perspective of the character off of the album covers anyway, but he looks much better that the recent Whit, who's head was the same size as his body. :P I don't really mind the new Eugene or Connie either. I never pictured Eugene with hair in front of his eyes anyway. That would have made it seem unreal, and I imagine Odyssey as a real place with real people, not an animated cartoon.
And it's because of this that we all have different ideas on whether or not we like the new pictures.
I like what you said, because you pointed out that you don't mind the new pictures because you didn't picture them looking the way they used to be anyway.
For the older fans, as in those who were around since the show began, you probably picture Whit looking more like Bruce Day's pictures. Some of you like the new Whit and Eugene, because they look a bit more like they used to when Bruce drew them.
For those of us like me, who grew up with the videos,(and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this) we picture the characters looking like they have for most of the years Odyssey has existed. Some of us are opposed to the change because the characters have gone from looking the way we want them to, to looking completely wrong in our minds.
For people who never pictured the characters looking the way the used to, or the way they look now, some of you don't really care at all because the characters aren't going to look the way you want them to either way.
It's too bad we can't all just picture all the characters the same way so that we could never have to deal with character changes.
Last edited by Dallas R. on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Maybe it would have been better if the cover designers decided to just leave all of the covers white and leave it to our imagination! (of course then there would be job loss and that would drastically hurt the economy)
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Well, we could leave that wonderful logo, and maybe an image showing the outside of Whit's End, but I agree that anything would be better than those terrible graphics we have now!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Maybe they aren't terrible, but it does look a bit weird.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I'm usually not terribly impressed with the character artwork, but I'm going to make an exception for the new stuff. ;) I first noticed the new Eugene in someone's avatar, and was pleasantly surprised. In fact, they're all quite good. :yes:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I have to agree. Eugene looks so handsome and smart and sensible. My brother said he looks like a business man. I think he looks very nice and neat, not like the old Eugene who was always in a rush. I wonder if his character has changed any. But, there's only one way to find out: keep on listening, lol.

-- February 15th, 2010, 2:14 pm --
Eugene!.JPG
Eugene!.JPG (19.38 KiB) Viewed 395 times
connie.JPG
connie.JPG (13.46 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Now, who doesn't think they would make a great couple? :-
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer