Haiti Earthquake

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Haiti Earthquake

Post by Oba-rai »

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already. With all this prolific posting I'd say some actual news would be good.

So, yeah, how many are keeping tabs on this? I have a family friend who's either in Haiti or Miami right now, but she definitely has family there... ugh.

Everyone keep praying for relief organizations to get in and get the medical response that the people need, and for there to be little roadblocks to the rebuilding process. :(
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, I'm sure it's stressful to know somebody who might be in Haiti right now! A few people from my church (that I don't really know) actually arrived in Haiti only hours before the earthquake to do some missions work at an orphanage, though apparently they weren't near the area with serious damage, which we are definitely thanking God for! It is an awful situation for the people there. Thanks for the reminder to pray, Sarai. :)
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

We felt the earthquake here in Cuba (and some of the aftershock)... it rattled our whole house and shook me in my chair. Pretty freaky. They might be putting together a team to send to Haiti in order to help the people (the country's pretty devastated right now... no firefighters, policemen, medical workers, etc..). I actually might get a chance to do some Red Cross on this end. Word has it that we might be housing a couple thousand of Haitians over here.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I don't think I know anybody who was there, but I know a lot of people who have connections to Haiti, some who even lived there for a while.. I also know of a team of some sort (mission trip or something) that touched down about an hour before the quake. Some welcome, eh? ;)
...I hate marquees.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

A pastor from a church in Trenton NJ got there the day of the earthquake...we haven't heard from him or the people with him....his wife is going crazy...please pray...
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

MITCHnTRENT wrote:A pastor from a church in Trenton NJ got there the day of the earthquake...we haven't heard from him or the people with him....his wife is going crazy...please pray...
I'll be praying. This earthquake was the saddest thing that has happened in a while. I have heard that there could be 100,00 people dead.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Yes, I was just on MSN reading more info...

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I often have a hard time having compassion on people, e.g. the Haitians, with whom I have no connection, but good thing God is the source of compassion; He is love! Indeed, I pray for healing, salvation, and hope for all those affected by the 7.0 quake. I bless the Haitians in the name of the Lord!

(Btw, the BLESSING is powerful. I once heard a revolutionary teaching about the power of the blessing. When Sarai was barren, God didn't say, "I will heal her." He said, "I will BLESS her." Wow!)
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

A family in my church lose two cousins, a grandmother, and an uncle. Please pray for them.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

One of my buddies was there at the time of the quake, but he got a flight home since then... and my former youth pastor runs an orphanage there, they are without power and not able to go indoors because of structural damage, but everyone is okay.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Just for anyboydy who wants to know, that pastor made it back home safely. I don't know the details, but they're back at home.

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I know a woman with an entire family in Haiti. Her nephew has been missing since Tuesday afternoon, coming home from school. How scary! I just cannot imagine. We contributed $75 to Samaritan's Purse. Hopefully they can do something with that.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

There's a school called Mt. Sentinel about 40 minutes from where I live, and they had a group of 17 high schoolers on a field trip there. They had only been in Haiti for 45 minutes when the earthquake hit!! They were all okay, except for one chaperone who got a broken rib. They're back now, and my school band is playing in a concert tomorrow night for them, as well as Red Cross and the Governor General of Canada.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

My pediatrician runs a medical foundation in Haiti, Forward In Health; after it happened, he was asked to go there to help with the healing. He left last Tuesday with a team and just got back the other day. He took all these pictures and wrote this blog about it...it's pretty neat.

He wrote about this boy whose arm was dislocated the day of the quake, and no one took care of it for days, so it set back in the weird position. He had to get surgery, so they sent him to a large field hospital where a pro-surgeon had set up camp. As far as I know, they were able to fix his arm :D

Then there was this woman who was pregant and the baby was breeched...this other doctor who my mother goes to (He was also down there) was able to save the mother, but mine couldn't revive the little baby....:(. He's a epic doctor, to be sure.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches