Dumbest book you've EVER read?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

I don't know about dub, but the most boring book I've ever read would have to be the Graet gatsby, or the Lord of the flies,
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I can't think of a dumb book, but a book that I cannot stand and will never, ever read again is Wuthering Heights. It was not dumb, I just could not understand it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Jason Whits son wrote:I don't know about dub, but the most boring book I've ever read would have to be the Graet gatsby, or the Lord of the flies,
What! The Great Gatsby is one of the best short books ever.

It makes me happy.

Dumbest book? Probably one of those Animorphs series ones. :P
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Oba-rai wrote:
Jason Whits son wrote:I don't know about dub, but the most boring book I've ever read would have to be the Graet gatsby, or the Lord of the flies,
What! The Great Gatsby is one of the best short books ever.

It makes me happy.

Dumbest book? Probably one of those Animorphs series ones. :P

It was just one of those that i just couldn't really get into to
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

hmmm...the only one I can think of is A Man Called Blessed. I didn't particularly like it when I read it because I thought the first one, Blessed Child, was much better and shouldn't have had a sequel.

Till the end of the line.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

:noway:

Treasure of the Incas, G.A. Henty.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

maybe I'd like A Man Called Blessed if I read it again....hmmm....

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

=P Sorry, but I'm just slightly biased as the Caleb books are high on my list of favorite Dekker books. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Probably the AIO Caves of Qumran book version of the video. I got it from a friend at church. I kinda enjoyed it though.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

EMBEE wrote:Probably the AIO Caves of Qumran book version of the video. I got it from a friend at church. I kinda enjoyed it though.
I didn't realize there was a book version of it...I have seen the animated of it
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shennifer wrote:maybe I'd like A Man Called Blessed if I read it again....hmmm....
I actually liked it better than "Blessed Child," so in my opinion, you should give it another chance! :D We're all different, so maybe you still wouldn't love it, but I hope that you do enjoy it if you do read it again!
EMBEE wrote:Probably the AIO Caves of Qumran book version of the video. I got it from a friend at church. I kinda enjoyed it though.
I thought that book was hilarious! I haven't looked at it in a few years, but I remember finding it amusing. It may not have been literary brilliance, but it was funny. I found the book on my shelf to illustrate my point. Early on, Stanley is in the cave, and accidentally ends up in muddy water. "He shook himself off and momentarily mourned the destruction of a perfectly good thirty-dollar polyester suit" (page 5). :lol: Now come on! That's good stuff. Dumb by some definitions, perhaps, but amusing nonetheless.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Laurie wrote:I can't think of a dumb book, but a book that I cannot stand and will never, ever read again is Wuthering Heights. It was not dumb, I just could not understand it.
There's not too much to understand, other than the fact that the book is intended to be a tragic lesson in what not to do with one's life. That aside it is one of my favorite books (and movies).

Anyways, dumbest book? Probably one I read about 8 years ago called Empire of the Ants. Essentially, it's a really messed up Watership Down only with ... ants. The description pretty much says it all:
"Don't go into the cellar" is the warning given the Wells family as they move into the dingy Paris flat inherited from Jonathan's Uncle Edmund. But when the family dog disappears down the basement steps, the Wellses follow, one by one, into the mysterious darkness below. Uncle Edmund was an eccentric author and scientist whose particular passion was ants. Thus, it must follow that the mystery of the Wells's basement lies in the parallel universe of an exotic ant kingdom. Struggling to rebuild what was once a vast empire in the face of the terrors of contemporary human society, the ants are compelled to deal with cars, tools, and other technopredators.
Anyways, it was so weird that every so often I'm compelled to dwell upon it. In an unpleasant sort of way.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Catspaw wrote:
Shennifer wrote:maybe I'd like A Man Called Blessed if I read it again....hmmm....
I actually liked it better than "Blessed Child," so in my opinion, you should give it another chance! :D We're all different, so maybe you still wouldn't love it, but I hope that you do enjoy it if you do read it again!
That's a good idea; I shall read it again as soon as I finish White! I LOVE the Circle Trilogy so much!

ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

Shennifer wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
That's a good idea; I shall read it again as soon as I finish White! I LOVE the Circle Trilogy so much!
Totally, I loved the Circle Trilogy. Red was my favorite.

My least favorite book would have to beThe Giver
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Moby Dick. :noway:

..Yeah, I hate that book. The funny thing is, I like a lot of the books you guys are mentioning. :P (I actually really liked The Giver..)

Edit: oh, haha, I already posted that. :P Another book would be The Red Badge of Courage. >_>
...I hate marquees.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Yeah, the Red Badge of Courage is SCARY! With that almost dead man whose eyes are so creepy and the rest of the gory stuff. I really don't like that book. I wouldn't call it dumb, but it's just not my thing.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

btw, Catspaw, I read A Man Called Blessed and liked it more than the first time! But I still think Blessed Child is better.

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shennifer wrote:btw, Catspaw, I read A Man Called Blessed and liked it more than the first time! But I still think Blessed Child is better.
I'm glad to hear that, Shennifer! :D We can agree to disagree on which one is better. ;) I really like Blessed Child too - just not as much.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Well, dumb.. Emma. lol... everyone in AP Lit. went "WHY?????" Hahaha... we were not impressed. No one finished it. Wasn't necessarily dumb, just lame.. why??
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Aw, but Emma is a classic!! I will admit, the book was slow reading. Have you watched the movie?
Love you always, SnC