Talk to the Paw

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Termite wrote:GHOSTBUSTERS! HERE COME THE PO-PO! \:D/

*coughs* Sorry. Ever played any of the Spyro games?
I've heard good things about the Spyro games but I've not actually played any of them!
Pseudonym wrote:What are your specs and on what settings do you play Crysis? \:D/
Let's see...

Intel i7 920 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz
Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard
12 Gigs of Tri-channel DDR3 SDRAM
Radeon 5970 (super awesome!) graphics card

As for Crysis, I played everything at the highest setting but the resolution was only 1366 x 740 or something weird like that (I played it on an HDTV). It ran flawlessly. I booted up the game with everything maxed out at 1920 x 1080 last night and I noticed some frame rate slowdowns... still playable, but not as smooth as it was on my HDTV.
Pseudonym wrote:And is Braid like not the most surprisingly good game ever? I still listen to the amazing soundtrack all the time.
And yes, Braid was amazing. Short. But super inventive and crazy fun.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Shadowpaw wrote:Intel i7 920 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz
Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard
12 Gigs of Tri-channel DDR3 SDRAM
Radeon 5970 (super awesome!) graphics card
Jealousy. :(

What did it cost? I'd say at least... $1600? Did you build it yourself?

Apologies for the boring nerdy questions. ;)

On an unrelated note, what say you of phpbb3? Is it EXACTLY what you ALWAYS HAD IN MIND for the ToO? Is it like SATAN took the ToO and stuffed it full of SATANIC TECHNOLOGY and subsequently BASHED IN its skull?
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Pseudonym wrote:What did it cost? I'd say at least... $1600? Did you build it yourself?
Yeah it was about $2000 canadian.... the video card alone was $675... worth every penny? Probably not, but it's nice to have a cutting edge machine for a change! :) And yes, I built it myself.
Pseudonym wrote:Apologies for the boring nerdy questions. ;)
Nonsense!
Pseudonym wrote:On an unrelated note, what say you of phpbb3? Is it EXACTLY what you ALWAYS HAD IN MIND for the ToO? Is it like SATAN took the ToO and stuffed it full of SATANIC TECHNOLOGY and subsequently BASHED IN its skull?
Haha, what I had in my mind when I envisioned the Town of Odyssey is nothing like PHPBB. I pictured it more like the Sims, with people controlling avatars, buying up property and having fake jobs/earning money in a virtual town of odyssey. I knew I could never acheive that level of sophistication with zero budget, so I also had a much simpler text version in mind which could still do all of that and still be fun but it was entirely text based. When I realized I didn't have time for THAT, I researched what I could do with phpbb (originally expecting to code a lot of it myself), and threw together the Town of Odyssey.

PHP3 is an evolution of that compromise. It's better than PHPBB 2.0+... that's for sure! I love that it still has the same look from the old boards... I really liked the style Darcie made, though it never worked in IE8 so I couldn't really use it... but her's was really cool! :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I downloaded Braid cause EK said it was cool, but only played the first level and couldn't really get into it. I'll probably give it another go because everyone else and their mother thinks its incredible...
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Welcome back, Shadowpaw! Even if only for a temporary bit, it's good to hear from you again and I look forward to reading about the story arcs! :)
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:I downloaded Braid cause EK said it was cool, but only played the first level and couldn't really get into it. I'll probably give it another go because everyone else and their mother thinks its incredible...
Actually that was kind of my experience. I played it for a bit when it was released and it never grabbed me... I kind of forced myself to play through a bit the other night and then I got hooked. Each "world" has a theme and the theme is what makes the game so amazing.. the first world has pretty much no theme, just jump and solve the puzzle. But ther other worlds are all about manipulating the flow of time to complete your tasks. It becames extremely challenging but so rewarding when you figure out the puzzles.
Sherlock wrote:Welcome back, Shadowpaw! Even if only for a temporary bit, it's good to hear from you again and I look forward to reading about the story arcs! :)
Good to see you too Coralfish! :) I'd like to post more about the story arcs too... but no one has really asked me any questions about it!! :)
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

If you could travel back in time to any time period, where would you go? And.. why? ;)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

*feels unloved and ignored* :mecry: ;)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

What's new? ;) One more piece of evidence that no matter how much people say that they don't need Shadowpaw, blah blah blah, they still really do. I believe this truth to be self-evident.

I wish I could think of a good story arc related question. :-k Oh, I know! Did you throw things so that Davari Hassan won the Odyssey 105 writing contest he entered for an AIO story, or did I lose fair and square? ;) It was a great story, I have to admit.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Davari's story was the thing of angels.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

What would you do if you were a butcher?

Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Catspaw wrote:What's new? ;) One more piece of evidence that no matter how much people say that they don't need Shadowpaw, blah blah blah, they still really do. I believe this truth to be self-evident.
The town has survived for years without me. :) I think it'll survive for many more!
Catspaw wrote:I wish I could think of a good story arc related question. :-k Oh, I know! Did you throw things so that Davari Hassan won the Odyssey 105 writing contest he entered for an AIO story, or did I lose fair and square? ;) It was a great story, I have to admit.
I had nothing to do with the Odyssey 105 writing contest and I don't think I ever read the story Davari Hassan wrote. Davari Hassan was never the storyline, he was just a distraction... so my focus was split at that point.

I think (and it's been a long time... I should look over the story planning board again to refresh my memory) Davari Hassan was originally intended to be a red herring during the election. I wanted Davari to run in the election and all attention was going to be focused on him so that no one realized the real opponent was also an NPC. I also needed to get some items out of the hands of the users and back into Blackgaard's hands, so he was used to that end. I wanted to reintroduce the storyline so that it wouldn't be completely out of the blue when Gabriel was revealed to be Blackgaard... I wanted people to get a brief taste of a story arc (for those who weren't around during the other arcs) and prepare themselves for the impending storyline to come, plus the story planning committee needed something to keep themselves busy with. So Davari kept EVERYONE busy while Gabriel's antics continued to escalate to the point that he would campaign AGAINST the terrorist. It worked for a while but I realized I was blending the line between believability with Gabriel and Davari when it came to their arguments (Gabriel was taking his "Role Playing" approach to the board very seriously at this point), so I needed to pull Davari out of the election. I think it was a last minute decision to have Davari back out and let the focus return again to Gabriel / Fenix vs. everyone instead of having an NPC complicate things.

Plus it was fun working on a Davari storyline without fully divulging the true happenings to the team working behind the scenes. I also had a bunch of loose ends to tie up at that point in time, like the whereabouts of Margaret Faye and the conclusion of the Bank Heist that was left on a cliffhanger, so all the story elements just kind of came together in an epic fashion.
31899 wrote:What would you do if you were a butcher?

Probably butcher things! Moreso than I currently do! :)
Last edited by Shadowpaw on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

How do I add the text above and below my avatar? FOr example, your's says "Town Founder". How do I add text of my own?
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Do you ever miss the ToO?

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:Did you throw things so that Davari Hassan won the Odyssey 105 writing contest he entered for an AIO story, or did I lose fair and square? ;) It was a great story, I have to admit.
If I recall correctly, I ran that writing contest. ;) And yes, you lost fair and square. :neener:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Trixie Belden wrote:How do I add the text above and below my avatar? FOr example, your's says "Town Founder". How do I add text of my own?
Trixie, you can't actually change that on your own, but if you PM an admin (myself, Kairi or JesusIsAlive) you can ask us to change your rank (like Shadowpaw's "Town Founder") to something else. :) Otherwise it will change now and then on its own as your post count increases. Eventually we will have the shop set up so you will have to pay a small fee to have this done, but since it isn't working quite yet, it's free. :D
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Did you throw things so that Davari Hassan won the Odyssey 105 writing contest he entered for an AIO story, or did I lose fair and square? ;) It was a great story, I have to admit.
If I recall correctly, I ran that writing contest. ;) And yes, you lost fair and square. :neener:
Yes, you did run that contest, but Shadowpaw admitted that he had told you, the current admin at the time, about a few things, so you never know. I can't believe that I really lost! :sniff: This is a sad day.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Are you a vandal on Conservapedia? *wink*
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I ended up getting God of War cause you had said it was cool and had an absolute blast with it... do you have any other series recommendations that are similar? I'm playing DMC4 and it slightly reminds me of it but has a lot bigger emphasis on puzzles and stuff instead of bashing at things with weapons. :(
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Hi from your Saskatchewanian neighbor, I have 2 questions.

1. Do you have any ideas/plans for future Adventures in Odyssey projects?
2. What is your favorite computer language?
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

31899 wrote:Do you ever miss the ToO?

That's a tough question. Though I guess I don't really. I miss the people and I miss the excitement of doing story arcs, but I don't really miss anything else. The Town of Odyssey sucked up a huge amount of my time and I don't miss that at all... I probably would have enjoyed myself a bit more if I had been a regular visitor. And that's not to say I didn't enjoy my time on the ToO either, because I certainly did, but it sometimes felt like a job moreso than an escape from things!
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Are you a vandal on Conservapedia? *wink*
I'm afraid I don't know what Conservapedia is... and certainly have never vandalized it. Unless this is an inside joke and I'm missing it! :)
The Top Crusader wrote:I ended up getting God of War cause you had said it was cool and had an absolute blast with it... do you have any other series recommendations that are similar? I'm playing DMC4 and it slightly reminds me of it but has a lot bigger emphasis on puzzles and stuff instead of bashing at things with weapons. :(
Really? Haha, well I'm glad my recommendation was useful! I definitely have to recommend Batman: Arkham Asylum if you haven't played it. It's not a series... (well #2 was just announced this last weekend) and I wasn't a huge fan of the demo, but that is one amazing game. The game is nothing like God of War, but the fluid attack and just pleasure in pounding people was very similar and that's why I love God of War so much: the fighting is just top notch. Batman handles the same way, with upgradable attacks and different weapons, plus there's a great cast and great story behind it. One of my favorite games of this year.
Reddo wrote:Hi from your Saskatchewanian neighbor, I have 2 questions.

1. Do you have any ideas/plans for future Adventures in Odyssey projects?
2. What is your favorite computer language?
Hey Reddo. ;)

1. I always have ideas but nothing I've ever implemented before. Years ago (and years before the Gabriel Dragsack saga) I scripted an outline for Dr. Blackgaard's return to the radio series and the story still sticks with me to this day as an amazing way to bring him back and do him justice without diminishing his death. Well, in fact, he wouldn't actually be alive but the stories would focus on his past in a pretty cool way... I don't expect it to ever make on the show anymore, but maybe I'll write some fan fiction to explore that angle. It would have been epic! ;)

2. PHP. Hands down. Most people probably wouldn't consider that a top tier programming language, and it's not, but PHP is so forgiving and so simple... maybe I'm just more familiar with it than any other language, but I just find its simplicity so refreshing. If I want to build something, PHP is the first place I turn to because I know I can get it up and running right away. You don't need to compile the code... you just save the document, refresh the page, and it will immediately let you know if what you've done works or doesn't.

Least favorite language would be Haskell or Prolog. Never learn those languages if you can help yourself.