Night Owls!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Amethystic wrote:And how do you feel about the night owl vs. early bird debate, K1? \:D/
I know way too many people that are night owls. I personally am not one, but I'm not sure if I'm a "morning person," a stwere.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

KODY 105 wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:This is creepy. Am I seriously the only person on here who's feels more gung-ho (you got any etymology on that, K1?) in the morning than the night? :huh:
Etymology of gung-ho: unknown by this user. I think it is a slang term first formally observed in the US circa 1880s?
*looks up* Courtesy of http://www.EtymOnline.com:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gung+ho wrote:gung ho
1942, slang motto of Carlson's Raiders, (2nd Marine Raider Battalion, under Lt. Col. Evans Carlson, 1896-1947), U.S. guerrilla unit operating in the Pacific in World War II, from Chinese kung ho "work together, cooperate." Widely adopted in Amer.Eng. c.1959.
"Borrowing an idea from China, Carlson frequently has what he calls 'kung-hou' meetings .... Problems are threshed out and orders explained." ["New York Times Magazine," Nov. 8, 1942]
Related word:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=jingo wrote:jingo
"mindless, gung-ho patriot," 1878, picked up from the refrain of a music hall song written by G.W. Hunt supporting aggressive British policy toward Russia at a time of international tension. ("We don't want to fight, But by Jingo! if we do, We've got the ships, we've got the men, We've got the money too.") As an asseveration, it was in colloquial use since 1694, and is apparently yet another euphemism for Jesus, influenced by conjurer's gibberish presto-jingo (1670). The suggestion that it somehow derives from Basque Jinko "god" is "not impossible," but "as yet unsupported by evidence" [OED].
Hannahjiejie wrote:Ah, you poor sleepy people. Just jump over to another time zone and you'll be great! (yes, I know that that really won't work =)
They're all still on Europe time from when their families immigrated. :yes:
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Emmigrated, I believe would be used, since you're talking about them leaving the country. :-k Kody?

*cough* Aeva's always picking on me for being tired. Because even though I like staying up late (and frequently do) I always drag myself out of bed right around 8. I say give me some credit for even getting up. I need a little more than 9 hours of sleep, and barely make 8 these days. :(
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Termite wrote:Emmigrated, I believe would be used, since you're talking about them leaving the country. :-k Kody?

*cough* Aeva's always picking on me for being tired. Because even though I like staying up late (and frequently do) I always drag myself out of bed right around 8. I say give me some credit for even getting up. I need a little more than 9 hours of sleep, and barely make 8 these days. :(
Could be, I don't use it often. :-k

Here's a thought, how about going to sleep an hour or two earlier? :tongue2:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Well, one both immigrates and emigrates. The word used depends on your place of reference. One immigrates to a country, whereas he emigrates from one.

In this case, IN's sentence implies that the people in question left Europe (and came to the New World where most of us ToOers reside), so the frame of reference is "here," where one would immigrate to.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

KODY 105 wrote:Well, one both immigrates and emigrates. The word used depends on your place of reference. One immigrates to a country, whereas he emigrates from one.

In this case, IN's sentence implies that the people in question left Europe (and came to the New World where most of us ToOers reside), so the frame of reference is "here," where one would immigrate to.
Yays! I was right! \:D/ And it was a 50-50 chance I'd get it wrong, too! :D *is happy*
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

lol. Whatever. I can still play the I-was-held-back-a-year-in-grammar, so whatever. :noway: Then there's the fact that I skipped back up a year, though... :-

But going to bed an hour or two early defeats the purpose of being a night owl! :mecry: Have ye no sympathy for me?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Termite wrote:lol. Whatever. I can still play the I-was-held-back-a-year-in-grammar, so whatever. :noway: Then there's the fact that I skipped back up a year, though... :-

But going to bed an hour or two early defeats the purpose of being a night owl! :mecry: Have ye no sympathy for me?
lol Nice. \:D/

I'm more of an early bird, I don't really understand your case in the first place. :shrugs:
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I love it when I can be a night owl/oh-man-the-sun's-coming-up-and-I'm-still-awake owl when I'm on vacation and don't have anything to get up early for (a la a certain week this past August \:D/ ). Now that I'm in school, however, going to bed earlier is usually better. Funny that one of my favorite days of the week is the day I get up at 4:45 (yes, in the morning). Rather peaceful way to start the day, and which makes me think I could become a morning person, sometime, if I wanted to.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Now here's something else, when would you stop saying "night owl" and "morning person". :-k Cause technically morning starts at midnight, so would that make all of us night owls "morning people" with those who say they're morning people more late morning or early afternoon?
Love you always, SnC
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

My parents don't like it when I'm up really late at night, even on weekends. :( That's my favorite time to read and work on story projects.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Amethystic wrote:My parents don't like it when I'm up really late at night, even on weekends. :( That's my favorite time to read and work on story projects.
They didn't like that IMing sleepover you didn't inform them of? :P
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Invisible Ninja wrote:
Amethystic wrote:My parents don't like it when I'm up really late at night, even on weekends. :( That's my favorite time to read and work on story projects.
They didn't like that IMing sleepover you didn't inform them of? :P
They still don't know about it. :- And that was a freaky cheesin' awesome all-nighter.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I can't really stay up late--school and that--but over the summer, I usually stayed up until about two-thirty listening to AIO and drawing animes of various ways, shaoes, and forms. Then I slept till about ten-thirty--latest, actually, was a little after noon.

I remember doing the same thing while staying over at my grandparents' house a long while ago, except that I had some chocolate chips and marshmallows in a bowl at around eleven o'clock and couldn't sleep a wink after that, so I stayed up all night and fell asleep in church the next Wednesday. Three times. I still tell that story all the time.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I'm usually a terribly late-night person (2-4am) but as I'm currently visiting family back in the US for a month (-6 hr time difference) it cured all of my evil night owl tendencies. I'm quite excited about this. ;)
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Haha, my parents hate me staying up late. This weekend my mom told me to go to bed at like 8, so I went to bed at 8:30PM on Friday night and woke up at 8:30 the next morning. It's crazy.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

I'm not a night owl, I'm a Vampire
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Lord Sesshoumaru wrote:I'm not a night owl, I'm a Vampire
Actually that's really funny! :lol: So what would early birds be, then, following the same terminology? :-k
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Breakfast!
Love you always, SnC
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

:hilarious: *wonders if he should be more offended at such an insult* :-k