Trying new products (and a yummy cookie recommendation)

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Trying new products (and a yummy cookie recommendation)

Post by Catspaw »

I was just thinking about how I like to try new products, and how much companies depend on the willingness of consumers to give new things a try. Anybody else like trying new things? I work in a grocery store, so I always see new food-related things and want to try them.

I remember when Vanilla Coke first came out, and of course I had to try it. It was really yummy, so that was a good buy. Then came Blue Pepsi not long afterwards, and I figured that if the new Coke product was good, maybe the new Pepsi product would be good too. Not so much. ;) Did anybody else ever try it? It was okay, but way too sweet and definitely not worth buying again.

I recently saw Burger King brand snack foods. There were onion-ring flavoured snacks and fries with ketchup-flavoured snacks. When I first tried the onion ring ones, I wasn't a huge fan, but then I wanted more the next day, and they kind of grew on me. They were okay in smaller doses. I don't know if I would buy them again. I haven't tried the ketchup ones yet - I'm guessing they taste kind of like ketchup chips, which I like, so that would be good!

The other day at work somebody else bought the new Chips Ahoy cookie wreaths that they brought out for Christmas and made me try one, and it was so yummy that I had to buy my own! :yum: There are Oreo ones, which has one Oreo chocolate cookie layer (like half a regular Oreo cookie, but in a wreath shape) with icing drizzled on top, which is yummy, but the other kind is even better! It has Rainbow Chips Ahoy, which is one of my favourites, in a wreath shape, and then icing on top. Soooo good! :drool: Has anyone else tried these yet? They're totally worth buying!

So, anybody else have stories of great new products or totally lousy ones? It doesn't just have to be food-related ones - that's just what I see the most of!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I remember when they made green ketchup; it tasted mostly normal, but it wasn't the same as 'real' red ketchup though. But it was a pretty sweet color \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh yeah, green and purple Ketchup! I forgot about those....which says something about how successful they were. ;) I know my family tried at least one of them, but I almsot never eat Ketchup, so I don't know if I even ever tried it. I think people found it too weird, even though I think the taste was supposed to be exactly the same, or at least close.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Anyone else remember Crystal Pepsi? \:D/ It was pretty good - but it seemed odd to be drinking clear Pepsi.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I like everything Pepsi does! \:D/ Especially their work in overthrowing the Palastinians! \:D/

Pay
Every
Penny
Save
Israel!

\:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Lol, Top.

Blue Mountain Dew! :inlove: Or Mountain Dew Voltage as it's really called. But my friend named it Blue Dew. Yum...
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

I like it when Windows comes out with new versions. :yes:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Anyone else remember Crystal Pepsi? \:D/ It was pretty good - but it seemed odd to be drinking clear Pepsi.
Whoa, I don't think that one made it to Canada, at least not anywhere that I saw it, because I would have remembered that one! It does sound kind of cool, in a weird kind of way.

I just thought of Jell-O pudding cups - cotton candy and bubble gum flavoured ones were new a few years ago, and I think they still make them. They're actually not bad, though packaged pudding isn't my first choice in any flavour.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I once tried hawaiian punch at my church potluck. It was way too sweet. I couldn't finish the rest.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Vanilla Coke is great. I haven't had Vanilla Coke in for like evar unfortunately.

Cherry Coke, however, is a decent choice; generally speaking I like the more traditional sorts of things as far as brand names go.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Mountain Dew Baja Blast is really amazingtastical! Do they still sell Sprite Remix? 'cause that was tasty, too. :yes: Aaaaaand... I like mixing different carbonated beverages together. So far, the best combination I've found it Dr. Pepper with Orange Soda. It tastes awesometastical. \:D/ I like trying generic branded things, too, just 'cause I'm a poor high school student. :p Has anyone ever tried blue corn chips? They taste a little bit different than regular ones, but they're okay.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I've also had red corn chips. :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Barack Obama wrote:Vanilla Coke is great. I haven't had Vanilla Coke in for like evar unfortunately.

Cherry Coke, however, is a decent choice; generally speaking I like the more traditional sorts of things as far as brand names go.
I haven't seen Vanilla Coke in a while...if they still sell it in Canada, it isn't in my grocery store. :(

I like Cherry Coke, though I prefer Vanilla Coke. Cherry Coke isn't sold in Canada, but my best friend really, really loves it, so whenever she's in the States she buys a few cases. I know that we truly are friends because she shares with me sometimes. ;)

JIA, there are lots of great non-name-brand items! For Mr. Noodles, I actually prefer generic store brands to the "real thing." I don't like their beef flavouring, but I do like the two different generic brands of beef flavour that I've had!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I see Pepsi's awesomeness has been brought up more! \:D/ I love all their Mountain Dew varients, especially Voltage but they are all good...

...except Bajah Blast. :( Bleah, it tastes like bleach. :(
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

begs the question, Top, how in the world do you know what bleach tastes like? :(
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Perhaps it tastes like the smell of bleach? I have these packets of Arby's "horsey sauce" that tastes like isopropyl alcohol smells. (That's rubbing alcohol.)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well yeah, it SMELLS like bleach so I just make that conclusion. ;)

I've always loved the Mountain Dew spinoffs so I kept drinking Baja Blast every time I went to Taco Bell for a while when it was new in hopes that I would acquire a taste for it but I never did. ;)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Catspaw wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:Anyone else remember Crystal Pepsi? \:D/ It was pretty good - but it seemed odd to be drinking clear Pepsi.
Whoa, I don't think that one made it to Canada, at least not anywhere that I saw it, because I would have remembered that one! It does sound kind of cool, in a weird kind of way.
It never made it to California either. At least, not my town. :noway:

I've only ever tried one of the foods mentioned (Cherry Coke/Pepsi), and I didn't like it. I prefer my Pepsi to taste like Pepsi, not have a weird cherry aftertaste. :noway:

Catspaw, those cookies sound delicious! :yum: I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm wandering through the aisles of Wal-Mart!
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I tried this new soup called "Old Fashion Potatoes." It is one of the most delicious soups I have ever tried. :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

The Top Crusader wrote:I see Pepsi's awesomeness has been brought up more! \:D/ I love all their Mountain Dew varients, especially Voltage but they are all good...

...except Bajah Blast. :( Bleah, it tastes like bleach. :(
Soda pop vs. bleach test trial one:

*drinks Bajah Blast* X_X :sick:

*drinks bleach* :mad: :thud:

Conclusion: Bajah Blast is slightly better than bleach. Slightly.

Anywaaaays... :- Sometimes they put new products on sale at the grocery store for $1 so that people will try them out. Two products that come to mind are the corn bran square cereal they were selling last spring, I think, and then the mulled apple cider they sold before Christmas. Both were really good, but the mulled apple cider had no apple in it whatsoever. :anxious: That was kind of creepy.
Last edited by Amethystic on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.