H1N1

I have been vaccined. Huzzah!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Some people just want to get swine flu to tell their kids they got it... (This would have come from the mouth of a 17-year old boy who has no kids... duh)

I had to get the vaccine (by shot. The mist actually can spread the virus around to other people.). I take care of Emeline, and swine flu is dangerous to her. I didn't want it either, but I'm taking care of Emeline and I'm in the age group.

Technically, I believe everyone is overreacting. But I'm finding it really annoying when schools, though they try, aren't doing enough to keep it from spreading to every student. Especially schools with dorms. Colleges and some high schools. My friend Timothy has now landed in the hospital because of swine flu, and his fever keeps jumping to 105.8. (The school he goes to has had an epidemic of swine flu for the past month and a half. Every kid has probably gotten it by now.)

I also got the regular flu shot (by mist, because I was in a hurry to get to school, and it was cheaper). I have never gotten the flu, and it seems I only get vaccinated every other year or so... I may get colds a lot, but big nasty illnesses never find me...
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Meh... I got it, but it wasn't bad at all. It was just like a flu, but worse. I think I got lucky though.

:( I keep getting odd looks from someone every time I cough at school.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Eh. I don't get sick, and only get vaccines if my doctor makes me. :( I don't like needles, so. :- But that being said, it's just the new thing for people to freak out about. Give it another two months and there'll be another "deadly disease" for them to take shots for. :shrugs:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Hm. For curiosity's sake, why do most of you NOT want to get the vaccine, even if you can? Not that I disagree about anything you all are saying...but if there's some sort of cold/sickness out there you could get, and there was a vaccine against it, wouldn't you get it anyway? I seems that even if this whole thing IS overrated, that getting the vaccine wouldn't be to bad of a idea; I mean, getting sick is getting sick. You miss stuff whether you have the flu or whatever. (But that's just my two cents.)
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I could tell you my reasons, but you'd accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist. :-
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Because everyone who takes it becomes unable to walk forwardly without having a million muscle spasms, clearly.

EVERYONE.

I don't take it because I don't feel very comfortable with needles, particularly those filled with mercury, poised to strike into my very flesh.

Just a personal opinion.
Last edited by Pseudonym on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

A plus side is, H1NI vaccine is very rare! I was lucky enough to get one!!! (No, honest...) So, yeah, most people who really don't want it just are staying away cause you know, there's honestly not enough to go around...
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Haven't gotten it, never will.
Joyfully
Found

Post by Joyfully »

I'm not going to take the vaccine, because, the people who are making people get it do NOT want to have it, they think it's bad and dangerous, sooo....if they feel that way, I don't really feel like taking it, ugh. =( ^_^
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I haven't gotten it, and don't have any plans to do so.
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Pseudonym wrote:Because everyone who takes it becomes unable to walk forwardly without having a million muscle spasms, clearly.

EVERYONE.

Really? *Waits for muscle spasm...waiting...waiting...waiting..* Hmm...[/sarcasm]

Y'do know that you can get the vaccine as a nose mist...no needles. Ha! You're logic has been OWNED!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Ben Linus wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:Because everyone who takes it becomes unable to walk forwardly without having a million muscle spasms, clearly.

EVERYONE.

Really? *Waits for muscle spasm...waiting...waiting...waiting..* Hmm...[/sarcasm]

Y'do know that you can get the vaccine as a nose mist...no needles. Ha! You're logic has been OWNED!
Ah, but by logic, the mist spreads the virus... so, others will have a chance of getting swine flu... so, mist, not so great...
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I've been sick with a horrid flu (not H1N1, praise the Lord) for the past two weeks and missed a lot of school. :(

When I went to the doctor's, they wanted me to get vaccinated for H1N1...but we know several people who have had very ill-effects (i.e., horrible cases of the disease or irreversible brain damage...) from vaccines and my soon-to-be brother in law's family plays way too much Left 4 Dead for me to get anywhere near a vaccine. :anxious:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Frank wrote:I've been sick with a horrid flu (not H1N1, praise the Lord) for the past two weeks and missed a lot of school. :(

When I went to the doctor's, they wanted me to get vaccinated for H1N1...but we know several people who have had very ill-effects (i.e., horrible cases of the disease or irreversible brain damage...) from vaccines and my soon-to-be brother in law's family plays way too much Left 4 Dead for me to get anywhere near a vaccine. :anxious:
I have a friend who has L4D related phobias. :-k
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Everyone realizes that the reaction to the vaccines is because they might be allergic to... eggs?
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Possible. But (I do sound like I'm changing my opinion or something here) wouldn't the doctors warn people allergic to eggs before they gave them the vaccine? Curiosity's sake. I'm very curious.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Ben Linus wrote:

EVERYONE.

You do realise that I was being sarcastic, right? Apparently not?

Obviously not everyone gets horrible reactions. I know that. \:D/

My logic was that I don't feel safe voluntarily putting mercury into my body. So the only way for my logic to be "owned" is if this mist contains no mercury. Link plz?
So you lost your trust,
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

@pseudonym, I don't believe the flu vaccine EVER has had mercury. That was more for long term storage like the large vials of the MMR vaccine and other vaccines that were kept for several years. The flu vaccine is only good for one year. And also, themerosol (the mercury compound that was ever used) has been phased out now. You couldn't get a shot in the US containing it if you wanted to.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

http://www.minnpost.com/craigbowron/200 ... n1_vaccine

This was apparently written yesterday. The guy is for the vaccine, but he does state that it contains mercury.

Regardless, I have done very minimal research on the subject, and I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy or that the vaccine will hurt a large number of people. I just don't want the shot. \:D/
So you lost your trust,
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Outrageous, Pseudo. How dare you think you have the right to breathe this air if you do not get the Pig Virus shot?! :x
don't forget the rain.