What kind of school did your parents attend?

Inspiration credit goes to Irwin.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Vote.

Public
77%
Private
20%
Homeschool
3%

Total votes: 30

Chandler

What kind of school did your parents attend?

Post by Chandler »

I'm generally refrering to what kind of school your parents attended grades K-12. \:D/
If they attended more than one type, you can vote for the kind they attended longest.
Last edited by Chandler on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

My dad attended a private Catholic school, and my mom went to public school. :)

Maybe you should make it so we could select 2 options, 1 for each parent. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

All right, I modified the poll. One vote for each parent please, if they had different kinds of schooling.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

I've never even met a real homeschooler. :-k
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've never met a parent that was homeschooled. :-
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

My parents were both publicly schooled, which is WHY I (and my two siblings) were home schooled. :) :lol: And I've met parents who were home schooled. A guy I worked with at campus security had three small children. He and his wife both were. He was a SUPER smart guy too...intimidating, especially when it came to theology.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've met and heard of several second generation homeschooling parents...most have younger children, but I've also heard of people my parents' age who were homeschooled and who are now homeschooling their children as well. :)

And ditto to Jennifer on one of the reasons my parents homeschooled us. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Laura Ingalls wrote:And ditto to Jennifer on one of the reasons my parents homeschooled us. ;)
Thirded. ;) My parents both went to a public school (I can't remember if it was the same one...), and my oldest brother (who's now 25) started publicschooling, but my parents removed him after 1-2 years, for obvious reasons. We've all been homeschooled since! :)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Mine were both public schooled... I don't think homeschooling was even very well known at the time... >_>
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Homeschooling was practically unheard of when my older siblings were in school. My mom knew one family that homeschooled and thought, "Oh, that's neat," but never even considered that it was something she might want to do. In fact, if we hadn't started attending a new church where I met homeschoolers in Sunday school, I doubt I ever would have been homeschooled.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Both were in public school, ...in New Orleans, Louisiana. Which was most likely the reason they thought homeschooling was such a good idea. :p
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I'm seeing a pattern here. :p But yes, homeschooling is something that was fairly unique to our generation. Now if those of us who were homeschooled can go out and make a positive difference to shed some light on the unheard of positive aspects of home based education, we'll probably make things even better for those homeschooled after us!

I'm going to volunteer I hope with the Christian Homeschool Association in my state. They meet with legislators, etc in our capital to inform about homeschooling and keep an eye on laws/measures about home-based instruction to protect the rights of those who wish to school at home.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:I'm seeing a pattern here. :p But yes, homeschooling is something that was fairly unique to our generation. Now if those of us who were homeschooled can go out and make a positive difference to shed some light on the unheard of positive aspects of home based education, we'll probably make things even better for those homeschooled after us!
Yes, this generation does seem unique among people who are living. I am curious to see if the number of people being homeschooled continues to increase after this "first wave" of homeschoolers continues to make their way in the adult world.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Chandlah wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:I'm seeing a pattern here. :p But yes, homeschooling is something that was fairly unique to our generation. Now if those of us who were homeschooled can go out and make a positive difference to shed some light on the unheard of positive aspects of home based education, we'll probably make things even better for those homeschooled after us!
Yes, this generation does seem unique among people who are living. I am curious to see if the number of people being homeschooled continues to increase after this "first wave" of homeschoolers continues to make their way in the adult world.
My oldest sister (who was homeschooled) is pregnant, and her and my brother-in-law plan to homeschool, so I doubt it'll end after this generation.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I'm referring to everyone who was homeschooled, not just your sister. ;)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Both my parents went to public school, which might be why they've been so diligent in making sure that I've been getting a Christian education (pre-school in a church, kindergarden in a Christian school, grades one and two in a logos class at a REALLY nice public school, and then grade three and up in a small private Christian school). :-k
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.