Darien's Rise: Album or Radio/Online

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

How will you be listening to the upcoming Darien's Rise dramatization?

I will be listening to the album straight through.
23%
I will be listening the old fashioned way week by week.
65%
I'm still undecided.
12%

Total votes: 26

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I can't believe I haven't posted here yet. I was originally uninterested in Passages, but the first episode of Darien's Rise was intriguing. I will be listening to the whole story on a weekly basis.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm torn between listening to the album (via my iPod) or the radio/online. I can't decide.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Before today, I'd already listened to part one 4 or 5 times - but earlier this morning, I decided to listen to the episode on our local Christian radio station just for kicks.

I forgot how fun it was to listen to Odyssey on the radio. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I just ordered it on Amazon, the first AIO album i've bought in a while. \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

This morning I was so excited to listen on the radio...I got all ready and was down by our main stereo to hear it. And then - an old Odyssey episode played. :mad: Aaaghh! I'm not sure WHY Darien's Rise is not airing...I was going to record it on cassette tapes to have it. Now I can't. :(

At least I can listen to it online. But that takes up bandwidth. Grr.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Which one aired today? This is wrong! It was supposed to be Darien's Rise part 1!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm not sure which one...it started out with Jimmy Barclay on his bed counting money. That's all I know. ;) I'm guessing it was the radio station's decision not to play Passages? Not sure why they wouldn't want to.

But it made me sad. :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sounds like The Prodigal Jimmy. That's strange. Does your radio station play episodes on Sundays, too? They might choose to air the new shows then, instead.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I'm very undecided.

Passages is different from Odyssey. It's MEANT to be listened to all at one time. Passages aren't divided up well enough to listen in bits. Odyssey would have normally a satisfying conclusion each week. But, just like a BBC miniseries, it's much more satisfying doing it as a one big Movie for something like this.
On the other hand, it definitely won't be as fun than to write reviews each week, call each other names, and argue with The Top Crusader about Whit's pronunciation of the word "dog"...and how the sword fight in scene 7 sounded more like Marshall Younger and Paul McCusker having a thumb war than two actual swords.

Like I said. I'm undecided. And if I won't buy it all once, and they won't let me say my own prayer. Then the only logical decision is to say no PRAYER. So for the first time in 2 years, Odyssey High's valedictorian will not be...

oh, nevermind.

But yea, I thought I might try something new and just download it off of Itunes. Oh sure, my beautiful bookshelf won't have pretty Odysseys all over the place...but having Odysseys ordered to my college dorm-room is just asking for questions!

So my main question is:

When can we download them off of Itunes?
Last edited by Bennett on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You make a good argument, Bennett. Still, I don't really see a major difference between Passages and a multi-parter. It just so happens that there are nine parts to Darien's Rise.

As far as I know, there are no plans to release Darien's Rise on iTunes. Not that you'd really want to, considering the low bitrate quality of the iTunes episodes. :(

If you're strapped for cash, just record them off of Whit's End and then buy it when you're home for Christmas. ;)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I will listen to it on a weekly basis. I don't plan on getting the album until at least October, and I rather like the idea of listening to one episode at a time and discussing it, instead of racing through the whole thing and forgetting each episode's individual highlights.
Bennett wrote:But yea, I thought I might try something new and just download it off of Itunes. Oh sure, my beautiful bookshelf won't have pretty Odysseys all over the place...but having Odysseys ordered to my college dorm-room is just asking for questions!
I think sporting Odyssey stuff loud and proud in between my college textbooks is the only way to go. \:D/
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I got that and the live show last night! :D It's like a wedding present from me to me. \:D/ My husband got Civil War books, so I got those. What happiness!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I received my copy in the mail today! It's already on the shelf, and I've got my sister to hold me accountable so I won't listen ahead. :x

Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Bennett wrote:
When can we download them off of Itunes?
Nobody knows this yet, heh? I noticed the Truth Chronicles isn't up at all? Does it normally take a while? I may as well simply order it then.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent addressed it.
Trent DeWhite wrote:As far as I know, there are no plans to release Darien's Rise on iTunes. Not that you'd really want to, considering the low bitrate quality of the iTunes episodes. :(

If you're strapped for cash, just record them off of Whit's End and then buy it when you're home for Christmas. ;)
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I received my copy in the mail today! It's already on the shelf, and I've got my sister to hold me accountable so I won't listen ahead. :x

Can you also take a side view? I'm super curious. :p
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Here's what it looks like from the back. Note that it's currently in a thin, cardboard sleeve.

I love how they've numbered the set as #1 - a small addition that could've easily been neglected since there's no guarantee they'll be doing future Passages adaptations.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The fanbase will be the guarantee of the continuation of the Passages Audio franchise. If we collectively do not purchase enough of them, then it will fade away along with the budget.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well, yes, I already knew that much. ;)

I'm just glad the Odyssey team had the foresight to number the album when they could've easily left it off.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I agree, Trent. That is a very smart thing to do. :yes:

I wonder, has anyone here finished all of the Darien's Rise episode?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.