Laying Your Weight On The Alter and Kissing Friends Good-bye

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Bren
Be positive!

Laying Your Weight On The Alter and Kissing Friends Good-bye

Post by Bren »

I was at a youth service at our church friday night, and I thought the sermon was good and wanted to sum it up and us talk about it. The sermon was about how Elisha went and told his family good-bye and went with Elija and how we need to put some things that are hindering us on the alter and some things like friends don't deserve to be put on the alter so we should give them a kiss good-bye. What do you think of this?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Interesting question; we shall see if we can see. I have heard that Jewish people typically take a long time for good-byes.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I wouldn't want to kiss my friends.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The point of his sermon (I'm assuming) isn't literally putting things on an alter or smooching our friends. Laying something "on the alter" is basically giving up something, and letting God have control of that area of our life." "Kissing our friends" isn't literal; it means that if a "friend" is keeping us from doing God's Will, we need to stop hanging out with them.

That's how I interpreted it, anyways. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Good job. That was the exact point.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

American Eagle wrote:The point of his sermon (I'm assuming) isn't literally putting things on an alter or smooching our friends. Laying something "on the alter" is basically giving up something, and letting God have control of that area of our life." "Kissing our friends" isn't literal; it means that if a "friend" is keeping us from doing God's Will, we need to stop hanging out with them.

That's how I interpreted it, anyways. \:D/
You learn from a sermon if minister to personally so two people can have to complete different version of sermon

Check out my newspaper To0 Star