Tattoos

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Tattoos

Post by EK »

What do you guys think about the morality/social impact of Tattoos? \:D/

Also, do you think they look good or are just weird?
Last edited by EK on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

There was a long debate about it in CCDS if you want to take a look. ;) Page 4 or so...
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Nah I'm good. ;) I'd rather this not become a CCDS debate but more of a discussion.

I'm considering getting a Tattoo...but I dunno...do people find it unattractive or no? I'm aware of the social stigma associated with them but there's also an element of awesome. ;)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Orion. wrote:Nah I'm good. ;) I'd rather this not become a CCDS debate but more of a discussion.

I'm considering getting a Tattoo...but I dunno...do people find it unattractive or no? I'm aware of the social stigma associated with them but there's also an element of awesome. ;)
It's not worth it, IMO. They only look cool to the person who wears it. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

But isn't that enough? ;)

Seriously though, I don't think everyone would regard it as ugly...just the people who give way to the common tattoo propaganda.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Those are disgusting :noway:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I wouldn't get one, but I don't have a real problem with tasteful ones. Some people go a little too far and get too many random stupid ones. \:D/
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

They're definetly not inherently ugly, but I don't like the typical "skull and crossbones" type.

I've thought about getting a real one.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

They almost always look tacky.

Except for this one girl I knew. She had her name written on her ankle in Chinese and it actually looked cool.

Other than that, tattoos are cheap and nasty. :noway:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Orion. wrote:Nah I'm good. ;) I'd rather this not become a CCDS debate but more of a discussion.
heh, well, you did start this by asking about the morality of it ;)
AE wrote:It's not worth it, IMO. They only look cool to the person who wears it. \:D/
Quoted for truth. Same goes for what Catspaw said about tackiness.

Tackiness aside, I'd never get one. I vastly fail to see the point, and I have better things to spend my money on.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Jonathan wrote:
heh, well, you did start this by asking about the morality of it ;)
:-$

;)

(also, that's not Catspaw...it's fake Catspaw.)

But really, since they now can be removed and such I don't see why not try it and if I don't like it when i'm out of College or whatever just get it removed. I don't want to get like a dragon across my face or anything, I want to get a US flag with and Eagle on my arm with my grandfather's name on it....and not like covering my whole upper arm just like a portion of it...it could be covered easily by a shirt or whatever....does that sound too revolting? ;)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Tyler wrote:I don't want to get like a dragon across my face or anything,
lol, that mental image is going to keep me amused for quite a while ^_^
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I know people with some super neat tattoos with really cool colors. Some have some really interesting Christian symbols. But it isn't my thing. I just can't think of any image I want on me for the rest of my life. Also, just because it now can be somewhat reversed with lasers doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered permanent. I wouldn't get one with the thought that you can get rid of it if you change your mind later... somewhat like marriage. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I've seen some coolish-looking tattoos before on other people but I have 2 big issues with ever getting one myself:

1. Tattoos plus wrinkles/aged-ness look REALLY wrong, and
2. It basically takes a form of skin grafting to have the thing removed and, even then, you're still left with significant skin damage.

Needless to say, I've never wanted a tattoo quite that badly. ;)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I would never get a tattoo myself but all the same, I don't mind tattoos that much. Unless it's really bad, like somebody tattoos their whole body. Now, that's a little extreme.
Actually I find some tattoos interesting (and some of my favorite characters in stories I write tend to have them :yes:) - just as long as they're not some of those wierd ones or skull and crossbones type.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

My dad has two tattoos. An eagle with a flag and a rose, one on each arm. \:D/ I think they look cool... *shrugs* Just, I saw a picture in a science magazine when I was younger of a tattoo being removed, and.... *shudders* I would suggest not trying to get it removed, Tyler. Maybe I can find the picture later and get someone to post it for me from photobucket or something.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, what Tyler wants tattooed is the kind of thing I have no problem with. My great grandpa had a tattoo of the Marine's symbol with his outfit number or something like that on his arm from his time in WWI. That sort of thing is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Now I have always wanted to get a Goomba :goomba: tattooed on my arm but I realize that probably isn't a good idea. :(
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Perhaps I should change my plans to include Yoshi or something. ;)
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

You know.. I have absolutely no 'moral qualms' with tattoos (unless you've decided to tattoo your whole body- I don't think that's taking care of your 'temple' ;) ). If you have only a few (in other words, enough to count on one hand), then it's not that bad... but the thing is, most people get addicted to them. It's actually called 'ink addication'.

My dad (who used to hate tattoos) got his wedding ring tattooed on his ring finger because of his job, and after getting that one tattoo, he started thinking about getting another, larger one. Yeah. I've seen it happen with SO many people.

Also, to be quite honest, the ink isn't good for your body. Not to mention, the idea of a 60+ year-old, with sagging, inked-up skin isn't all that appealing \:D/.

And getting tattoos removed is not only painful, but it's also expensive.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I agree with I&L on the fact that once someone gets one, they want more... I know a friend at school who got his grandpa's dog tags with his birthday and death on it which I think is kinda cool to remember. I personally don't want one. I'm not sure where it fits in with the "your body is the temple of the Lord".... If it's tasteful and it doesn't go against your conscience then I'd say it's okay.
Last edited by GlennAdams on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do what I do.