Preparing for college...

What are *you* doing to prepare?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Tyler wrote:You did your college through correspondence? Nice! That seems like fun because you'd have alot more time to do whatever else.
Exactly! It afforded me the opportunity to work part-time throughout all four years of college - and I didn't have to worry about in-class exams. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Wow, very comprehensive, Jugglah! =D>

...which reminds me, you might want to see if your school offers a church-matching scholarship.
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Tyler wrote:You did your college through correspondence? Nice! That seems like fun because you'd have alot more time to do whatever else.
Exactly! It afforded me the opportunity to work part-time throughout all four years of college - and I didn't have to worry about in-class exams. \:D/
Or in-class speeches. :boohoo:
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

LizzieG wrote:Wow, very comprehensive, Jugglah! =D>
Why, thank you! As long as in-depth doesn't equal boring, hopefully. But yeah, I'm of the opinion that the more help you can give people about college, the less work they have to do, and everybody's happy. \:D/
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Jugglah wrote:
LizzieG wrote:Wow, very comprehensive, Jugglah! =D>
Why, thank you! As long as in-depth doesn't equal boring, hopefully. But yeah, I'm of the opinion that the more help you can give people about college, the less work they have to do, and everybody's happy. \:D/
Definitely not boring - you covered a lot of helpful ground there. Even though I've been in college for three years, your tips were very interesting retrospectively. I did go to the right school after all! ;)
Eugene Meltsner
Tallying up

Post by Eugene Meltsner »

To prepare for college, I memorized the entire encyclopedia! \:D/
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

-So, how are you preparing for college?
I studied hard, got fairly good grades and took the SAT numerous times. With the SAT, now you can choose which grades to send (for some colleges), so you can take as many as you want. But I'd keep the number of times you take to about 3. And since I'm homeschooled, I kept track of all my grades and made a transcript. I also asked a lot of questions and surfed the internet for answers. I've been talking and listening to people who have been through this before (like this thread). :P

-What are you looking for in a college?

My priorities were:

#1. Supportive Christian families and/or churches to help keep accountability.
#2. Christian college
#3. Small college
#4. Rural setting

Ideally, I would look for a smallish Christian college close to a good supportive church community. However, ideals don't really work out for me, and I guess God sometimes changes my "ideals" to His ideals. I'm majoring in Industrial Design and I could not find a Christian college that offers that major. I also wanted a small college in a rural setting, but I also couldn't find one. :P So now I've decided to go to a humongous college in an urban setting. However one wish came true; it's close to several strong church communities and a family is willing to share their home with me.

-Know of any good scholarship websites?
Unfortunately, no.

-Have you entered for any scholarships? Or better yet, won any?
Nope.

-Do you know what you want to major in? What about a minor?
Industrial Design major. I want to minor in something more technical like maybe Mechanical Engineering.

-Are you taking any dual-credit classes?
No I'm not, but I have many friends who do it to cut credit hours.
I'm planning on taking CLEP if I can to reduce my credit hours.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I don't plan on going to college. :noway: I plan to go to University!!! \:D/

Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I've meant to reply to this thread for quite sometime, but never got around to it \:D/.

-So, how are you preparing for college?

Golly... let's see... I'm in an honor's program, which means I have to get more credits to graduate from highschool, and have to keep my highschool average over 94% the entire time. I'm taking fives years of a foreign language instead of two. Later this year, I'll be taking a Pre-SAT, and will then be taking the SAT and ACT next year. I'm studying for these two tests now, so that I will be prepared. I've heard that schools give scholarships to students with high SAT and ACT scores. This is very exciting for me as I don't have the money to pay for college, and will have to work my way through.

I've also put in for different scholarships and plan to enter many more this year and the following year.

-What are you looking for in a college?

Well, I'll hopefully be attending a community college for the first two years. It's much cheaper, usually.

First and foremost on my list is that I want the college to be close to home- I'll be attending a local university if at all possible. I have no desires or intentions to travel states away and leave my family for a higher education. Hopefully we'll be back in the States before I graduate, so that I can make this dream a reality. If I can't find a local college, I'll more than likely be attending one online. The only way I'd ever move to college is if I cannot find what I'm looking for nearby or online (which is highly unlikely); and, if a college gave me a full scholarship (or even partial, for that matter), I may have to move.

I might like to go to a Christian college, but honestly, this isn't a priority in my opinion. Most Christian colleges I've seen are nothing I'd want to be a part of anyway. I refuse to buy a whole new wardrobe of ankle-length dresses and skirts, listen to only hymns for four years, and attend a school-regulated church just because a legalistic 'Christian' college commands me to. Besides, Christians need to be lights in the darkness, and this will be accomplished better by attending a normal university. The only thing I would like about a Christian college is the lack of evolution taught in the text-books, and the fact that their beliefs would correspond with the truth of the Bible.

Now, this might sound silly, but I really want my college to have a good name, so that when people read about my degree on a job application.. it's not something silly like, "Lena got a Bachelor's degree from... what? Penelope's College and Institute for Higher Education?" Honestly, just about ANYTHING would sound better than that :p.

I want my college to be well-thought of scholastically and academically. I want to stay away from getting a degree from a college that is thought of as a joke. That would completely defeat the purpose.

Good instructors, professors, and teachers are a must. I would also like for the college to be structured and orderly.

Jugglah brought up a very good point about the food. I'll have to keep that in mind :yes:.

I will definitely be taking a trip to visit all local colleges before I make up my mind. Touring the colleges seems like a very good way to learn more about them.

And lastly, but certainly not least, I need to be able to find work nearby. As I've said earlier, my family (having six children) and I don't have enough money to send me.. so I'll have to work for my education.

-Know of any good scholarship websites?

I've always just used fastweb. I don't like that website that much, but it works... somewhat (even though it gives you scholarship 'matches' that don't match you at all :noway:). I haven't found anything better thus far. If anyone knows of any good websites, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about them.

Aside from fastweb, I've just googled certain things like, "Scholarships," "Scholarships for Juniors," "Scholarships for homeschoolers," and even "Scholarships for girls." All of those came up with some pretty good results.

-Have you entered for any scholarships? Or better yet, won any?

I have entered.. *counts*.. three thus far, I believe. I won $200 from one :).

I'll be entering many more this year and next year. If only I could find the time >:1.

-Do you know what you want to major in? What about a minor?

Ahhh.... I really have no idea. At the moment, the plan goes something like, 'major in journalism, minor in telecommunications,' but it's still very much open to change.

Before I learned that I'd have to move for the FBI, I was quite set on majoring in criminal justice and doing that for a living, but the moving bit... yeah, it changed everything.

Other options include, but are not limited to, psychology and biology (both are subjects which I really do enjoy).

Anything that has to do with mathematics is DEFINITELY out! Haha.

-Are you taking any dual-credit classes?

No, I don't believe so.

You know, with all that being said, I'm really hoping that I'll make it at singing or modeling (or even commercials and acting), and will never have to go to college! To not have to worry about grades anymore would just be too good to be true! Ha!
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

My personal opinion is that for anyone who's taking general studies instead of a specific field like mechanical engineering or medical should just take it online. It's so much cheaper. Plus, you can do it during highschool. I know of someone who just graduated from high school and college at 17 with a Bachelor's in business. Or, it may have been an associates. Not sure. But still. :-
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Eugene Meltsner wrote:To prepare for college, I memorized the entire encyclopedia! \:D/
Yeah, but...which one? :p

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:
Eugene Meltsner wrote:To prepare for college, I memorized the entire encyclopedia! \:D/
Yeah, but...which one? :p

-Kim
And that was to prepare for college? Not purely for the love of knowledge? :noway: