What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

Wow! I just got a whole bunch of ideas on books to read from this forum! Thanks everyone.

I just finished my Official Guide, and am starting Darien's Rise.
Another good book I recently finished is Multiple Blessings by Jon and Kate Gosselin! Very inspiring and a good insight into their lives.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I've been reading the Hero.com/Villain.net series. \:D/ I like them; it's like two book series intertwined with each other, one about heroes and one about villains.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Take One by Karen Kingsbury. It's the first book in her Above the Line series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Dawn by Elie Wiesel. Read it in one sitting, and was transported. Night is definitely on my to-read list now.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I just read Speak... I hated it... Too depressing.
I do what I do.
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

GlennAdams wrote:I just read Speak... I hated it... Too depressing.
You hated Speak?! Boy, what is wrong with your head? That's the best book ever!

lol, Just kidding. Nothing's wrong with you. I just love that book.

I'm slowly reading Peter Pan and Wendy by J.M. Barrie and I'm also reading Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred by Melody Carlson (finally! I've been wanting to read it for forever!)

<3<3<3
BBB
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"Shadow of the Mountains" - book 2 in the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris. I just love this series. :inlove: This might actually be my least favourite book in the series, but they're best when you read through all of them in order! \:D/
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

The White Hunter and The Scarlet Letter
THE PASTOR GUY DID IT!!!
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

Peeps by the author of the specials, pretties, and uglies

It's good so far and well writen!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

^ *cough* STD *cough*

I'm reading Hero.com: Virus Attack :yes:
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

One think I like about kindles. You can read more then one book at a time and never lose your place \:D/

I am currently reading A Rush of Wings by Kristen Heitzmann and (Fang, you're going to love this one!) Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

THe Official Guide - still
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Catspaw wrote:"Shadow of the Mountains" - book 2 in the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris. I just love this series. :inlove: This might actually be my least favourite book in the series, but they're best when you read through all of them in order! \:D/
Ahhh! I love those books! Those are books that I can reread as many times as I want, and I never get tired of them, and I can't say that about too many books. That's so cool that you do, too, because none of my friends have read them, so they just don't understand. To be honest, most of Gilbert Morris' hundreds of books (yes, I once went through the stage where I tried to read them all...got pretty close, too) have ridiculously formulaic plots and flat characters, but the Cheney Duvall series is full of sparkling dialogue and fast-paced, interesting plots. And the main characters (Cheney, Shiloh, Dev, and Victoria) are hilarious. They're all perfect foils for each other. Ok, now I guess I need to read them again...
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jugglah wrote:
Catspaw wrote:"Shadow of the Mountains" - book 2 in the Cheney Duvall, M.D. series by Lynn Morris and Gilbert Morris. I just love this series. :inlove: This might actually be my least favourite book in the series, but they're best when you read through all of them in order! \:D/
Ahhh! I love those books! Those are books that I can reread as many times as I want, and I never get tired of them, and I can't say that about too many books. That's so cool that you do, too, because none of my friends have read them, so they just don't understand. To be honest, most of Gilbert Morris' hundreds of books (yes, I once went through the stage where I tried to read them all...got pretty close, too) have ridiculously formulaic plots and flat characters, but the Cheney Duvall series is full of sparkling dialogue and fast-paced, interesting plots. And the main characters (Cheney, Shiloh, Dev, and Victoria) are hilarious. They're all perfect foils for each other. Ok, now I guess I need to read them again...
That is exactly how I feel! :highfive: My sister loves this series too, so at least I can talk to somebody in real life about the awesomeness that is Cheney and Shiloh. I read a few of Gilbert Morris's other million books, but they weren't good enough for me to read many. The main characters are great, but all the side characters really add a lot because they're interesting and detailed. Books one and seven are my favourite, and my sister and I like to quote (sometimes with modifications ;) ) the "You know you're in trouble when the [volcano/whatever] is the least of your worries" from book seven. \:D/ You're welcome for motivating you to read them all over again. O:) We can obsess about them together!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I finally picked up Sense and Sensibility again! Hurray for pleasure reading! :D (though, admittedly, some of my lit reading was pretty good as well.)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Rachel's Secret by B.J. Hoff. It is the first book in her Riverhaven Years series. Excellent so far. Anything by Hoff is a guaranteed excellent read (IMHO). She is one of my absolute favorite authors. :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm getting ready to start Doomwyte, Brian Jacques' newest Redwall book. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

BrokenButBeautiful wrote: I'm also reading Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred by Melody Carlson (finally! I've been wanting to read it for forever!)

<3<3<3
BBB
I wanted to read that book, but I never got to it. You should tell me what it's like!

I'm reading Betrayed for probably the 50 millionth time.... Oh yeah, it's by Jeanette Windle. I just ordered the DMZ by her and I can't wait until I get it. She's one of the best authors ever!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

None (in addition to the Bible) now, but starting Arin's Judgement soon. :D
Laura Ingalls wrote:I'm getting ready to start Doomwyte, Brian Jacques' newest Redwall book. \:D/
Woah - he's still writing!? I read and enjoyed 7-8 Redwall books back in the day. \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

He's most certainly still writing! \:D/ There have been a steady stream of new Redwall books over the years, Doomwyte making 20 in the series. You should read some of the newer ones - I especially enjoyed Triss and Rakkety Tam. My classic favorites are The Long Patrol, Salamandastron, and Redwall, although I've enjoyed all of them. \:D/
Redwall (1986)
Mossflower (1988)
Mattimeo (1989)
Mariel of Redwall (1991)
Salamandastron (1992)
Martin the Warrior (1993)
The Bellmaker (1994)
Outcast of Redwall (1995)
The Pearls of Lutra (1996)
The Long Patrol (1997)
Marlfox (1998)
The Legend of Luke (1999)
Lord Brocktree (2000)
The Taggerung (2001)
Triss (2002)
Loamhedge (2003)
Rakkety Tam (2004)
High Rhulain (2005)
Eulalia! (2007)
Doomwyte (2008)
Edit:

Has anyone else listened to the full cast audio versions read by Brian Jaques? I've really liked listening to them and hearing the songs actually sung, plus all the animals being voiced by different people. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.