Lights Out! Camera, Action!

some of my AIO ramblings, plus my latest Odyssey acquisition!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Gandalf wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:There is nothing illegal or wrong with listening to the episodes that are rightfully available on odysseyfan's website. Since those episodes are not and will never be purchaseable and the AIO staff knows about the website and hasn't asked to have the episodes removed, there's nothing wrong with it.
Actually, it is illegal and Focus can ask him to take the site down at any time. They've done this in the past; a few years ago there was someone selling bootlegs of the entire Odyssey USA album; Focus asked them to stop.

On the other hand, Focus (or its representatives) clearly know about the site; several AIO staff writers watch this forum as well as the entire AIO online community. Clearly they aren't that concerned about the site.

Whether or not it is immoral to download from this site is up to your conscience I suppose.

If I may, I suggest that, if you download from this site (or get AIO episodes anywhere for free), you send Focus a donation of at least $2 for every episode you get.
But, that's different because they're selling those. These episodes are not purchasable.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

King Butter Turtle wrote:But, that's different because they're selling those. These episodes are not purchasable.
I'm not sure what you mean. The Odyssey USA album is not purchasable. Regardless, though, copyright laws say that you cannot distribute copyrighted material, regardless of whether it is in print or not, without the permission of the owner of the copyright.

We may not agree with the law (personally I do), but it is international law, applicable to both Canadian and American fans.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Gandalf wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:But, that's different because they're selling those. These episodes are not purchasable.
I'm not sure what you mean. The Odyssey USA album is not purchasable.
9 of the 12 episodes are.
Gandalf wrote:Regardless, though, copyright laws say that you cannot distribute copyrighted material, regardless of whether it is in print or not, without the permission of the owner of the copyright.
Where are you getting that from?
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Regardless, though, copyright laws say that you cannot distribute copyrighted material, regardless of whether it is in print or not, without the permission of the owner of the copyright.
Where are you getting that from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

"Copyright is a form of intellectual property which gives the creator of an original work exclusive rights for a certain time period in relation to that work, including its publication, distribution and adaptation; after which time the work is said to enter the public domain. Copyright applies to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete. Some jurisdictions also recognize "moral rights" of the creator of a work, such as the right to be credited for the work."

In addition, common sense tells us that "unpurchaseable" material is still protected by copyright in the 'real world'. For example, it's illegal to distribute bootleg copies of a film before the DVD comes out in stores or if it has gone out of print.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Gandalf wrote:In addition, common sense tells us that "unpurchaseable" material is still protected by copyright in the 'real world'. For example, it's illegal to distribute bootleg copies of a film before the DVD comes out in stores or if it has gone out of print.
I disagree and wish to leave it at that.