I'm going to South Korea!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

I'm going to South Korea!

Post by Movieman »

Wow, it's been a long time since I've written anything on this website. I thought this would be a good opportunity though to let everyone know about some really awesome news I received recently. Somewhere around the beginning of August, I will be traveling to South Korea to teach English at a Christian school there and I will be gone for at least 1 year. I don't know how often I'll be able to update people on my status over there, but I'll try to as often as I can.
I'll probably update this thread as I get closer to my departure date. :D

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

That is totally awesome! :D Are you worried at all, being so close to North Korea and all?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Very cool, I hear pro wrestling is really big there! \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I saw you mention it on Facebook! What an exciting opportunity! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Kewl. I'd love to hear what you think about S. Korea, Movieman! I've been to Asia twice (China, Philippines) and have had phenomenal experiences being immersed in foreign cultures.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

That is really awesome, Movieman... Keep us updated! \:D/
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Coolness! I'm sure that'll be a very profitable and enriching time for you! :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Good to hear from you again, movieman! :truce: Thank you for telling us about this exciting new time in your life! :D
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

That is so cool!!!!!! I would like to go to South Korea some day!!!!!! \:D/
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

What a great experience! I wish you all the best with your teaching. :)
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

That is awesome! I have never been to South Korea, but it sounds like a very interesting place with a unique culture.

Welcome to East Asia, you will be only a few hundred miles away from the world's coolest country. :-
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sounds exciting, Movieman! One year is a long time. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from the experience. :)
Samwise wrote:Welcome to East Asia, you will be only a few hundred miles away from the world's coolest country. :-
Actually, if you really want to visit the world's coolest country, come visit us in Canada - where some of us get snow in the middle of the summer. \:D/
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Samwise wrote:Welcome to East Asia, you will be only a few hundred miles away from the world's coolest country. :-
Actually, if you really want to visit the world's coolest country, come visit us in Canada - where some of us get snow in the middle of the summer. \:D/
I call that annoying, not cool. :noway:

Anyway, Sounds cool, Movieman! I hope it goes well. :D
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Technically it is cool, though, because it has to be cold for there to be snow... :-k

That's awesome. I hope you have a great time getting ministered to while reaching out to teach them as well. =)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Wow, how exciting! \:D/ Sounds like a spectacular opportunity! I'd love to go to South Korea sometime too... especially now that I'm learning more about that country in one of my classes (an inevitable reaction). :D
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

That's really cool! My friend who's in Canada (which really is the coolest country, but fortunately I live in the sunniest city so I get to stay warm) with a student visa is from South Korea and it sounds like an interesting place!
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Sounds exciting, Movieman! One year is a long time. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from the experience. :)
*cough* Well Japan has beaches, mountains, rivers, lakes, cities, meadows, and snow all within a hundred mile radius... so it is the coolest. ;-)

And we shouldn't take this offtopic. I encourage you movieman to do everything possible to learn the Korean language; I notice a lot of people come to Asia to teach English, but don't even make an effort to learn the local language. While many in Korea can speak some English, you just won't have the same experience if you don't know the native language. :D Just keep practicing on people and embarrassing yourself, the locals will love it!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Samwise wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:Sounds exciting, Movieman! One year is a long time. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from the experience. :)
*cough* Well Japan has beaches, mountains, rivers, lakes, cities, meadows, and snow all within a hundred mile radius... so it is the coolest. ;-)
I have the same thing in California! Though without the big cities \:D/ Coolest state - and it's roughly the size of Japan too. :yes:

Interestingly enough, right before I found this thread, I found out that my school is opening up a new study abroad program in South Korea! All these opportunities... makes me wish I had more of college left. :bye:
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Thank you all for your well wishes! They mean more to me than you probably realize. :D

I do have a few prayer requests though regarding my preparation for South Korea, and I ask that you pray as often as you can remember. I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer and think that the more people that I get praying for me, the easier the preparation will get. :pray:

1.) I have a significant amount of debt from school bills. Please pray that I'm able to set up a bank account quickly when I arrive there and that I'm able to set up a monthly wire transfer to my bank account in the USA. I potentially have someone here that will handle my finances from this end, but please pray for that anyway in case it doesn't work out with that person.

2.) I have to find a full-time job in the Lynchburg area so I can earn as much money as possible to support myself during the transition time from when I leave here to when I get my first paycheck in South Korea. My current job most likely won't give me full-time hours, and I'll need to start as soon as possible after the semester ends (May 8th).

3.) I'm dealing with a lot of anxiety in terms of my qualifications. I believe I have a good grasp of the English language, but I've never taught in a professional setting such as a school and I'm really nervous as to my ability to do so. I realize most of that is probably just Satan trying to get me to doubt God, but please pray for me in this regard nonetheless.

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I will be praying for you, Movieman. :pray: I can especially identify with the anxiety about qualifications in teaching.
LizzieG wrote:
Samwise wrote: *cough* Well Japan has beaches, mountains, rivers, lakes, cities, meadows, and snow all within a hundred mile radius... so it is the coolest. ;-)
I have the same thing in California! \:D/ Coolest state - and it's roughly the size of Japan too. :yes:
Haha, I feel the exact same way and have said as much more than once. :yes: