Happy St. Patrick's Day!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Yay, for St. Patrick's Day! \:D/ I love celebrating my Irish heritage and playing Irish music! \:D/
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I had to wear green to bed last night otherwise my roommate would have pinched me this morning. :noway: I wore a green shirt today. But mainly so that my roommate wouldn't pinch me.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Ms. Whidden, my english teacher, was the only one who like.. celebrated in class.. we had scones and watched some Irish movie.... it was awesome! Oh, and we read Irish blessings and sayings... some where hysterical, or just meaningful....

Most people wore green. A few wore green SHOES! And some did get pinched... :)

I had to write my own Irish blessing... it's lame, really...
DAM wrote in English class wrote:God's grace be upon you this fair day
May he make your way
Straight and narrow and protected
Love, dream, enjoy what has been erected
Just never forget those who love you
In fatih, hope, and love... for you
Some sayings that were hysterical....
May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.
God is good, but never dance in a small boat.
Haha!!!
As you slide down the banister of life,
May the splinters never point in the wrong direction!
May you be in
Heaven a half hour before the
Devil knows you're dead!
My fav:
Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.
:) YEAH FOR ST. PATTY'S DAY!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Why do we celebrate the Irish when they enslaved and attempted to kill the very man that the day is supposedly honoring? :-k
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

KODY 105 wrote:That is an oxymoron... ;)
Oh my gosh! No way! ;)

Go Green. It's good for the environment. \:D/
I do what I do.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

I did nothing except tell my dad happy birthday. :|
Love is stronger than death.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Why do we celebrate the Irish when they enslaved and attempted to kill the very man that the day is supposedly honoring? :-k
:hilarious:

Very true. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Happy birthday, PJ's dad!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Why do we celebrate the Irish when they enslaved and attempted to kill the very man that the day is supposedly honoring? :-k
But did not Patrick choose to go back to Ireland? Did he not bring Christianity and convert those that used to hate him? :noway: I think the point of celebrating Irish things is just remembering the country where Patrick chose to spend his life serving the Irish people. And shamrocks are supposedly what he used to illustrate the Trinity, so that's where they come in. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

He must have used the three-leaved ones... ;)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

That's....what a shamrock is. :anxious:
Wikipedia wrote:The four-leaf clover is often confused with the shamrock. While the four-leaf clover is a symbol of good luck, the three-leafed shamrock is mainly an Irish Christian symbol of the Holy Trinity and has a different significance.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I wore green today. My social teacher was trying to talk in an Irish accent the whole social class, but then he had to stop cause everyone was laughing and nothing was getting done.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Someone ran into my office and pinched me and ran out at work last night. :(
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I'm wearing green today, but I wore brown yesterday. :-s

Nobody pinched me, and that's good because the tradition of pinching those who do not wear green is descended from the ancient worship of the pagan deity Ervose who was green, representing spring and life. As part of a worship ceremony, half the people would wear green, signifying Ervose, and the other half would wear brown, signifying death. The two groups would engage in a mock war, with Ervose slapping death and gaining the victory, therefore bringing new life at springtime. Over time this pagan custom merged with the celebration of St Patrick's Day and turned into pinching those who did not wear green.

I made all that up... but was it believable? \:D/
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

SivartM wrote:I'm wearing green today, but I wore brown yesterday. :-s

Nobody pinched me, and that's good because the tradition of pinching those who do not wear green is descended from the ancient worship of the pagan deity Ervose who was green, representing spring and life. As part of a worship ceremony, half the people would wear green, signifying Ervose, and the other half would wear brown, signifying death. The two groups would engage in a mock war, with Ervose slapping death and gaining the victory, therefore bringing new life at springtime. Over time this pagan custom merged with the celebration of St Patrick's Day and turned into pinching those who did not wear green.

I made all that up... but was it believable? \:D/
I started to believe you, then got a strange feeling that you were joking. :)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The brown vs. green mock war didn't make much sense. Plus I have never heard of the deity Ervose. You didn't explain how a mock war ended up as a pinching. I think if that were real it would have kept the brown clothes part for the pessimistic/anti-social people.
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

KODY 105 wrote:Happy birthday, PJ's dad!
Muchas gracias.
Love is stronger than death.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I feel so un-patriotic. :(
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
But did not Patrick choose to go back to Ireland? Did he not bring Christianity and convert those that used to hate him? :noway: I think the point of celebrating Irish things is just remembering the country where Patrick chose to spend his life serving the Irish people. And shamrocks are supposedly what he used to illustrate the Trinity, so that's where they come in. \:D/
Right, but if we're celebrating his good works for christianity, shouldn't we be celebrating the English?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I wore green yesterday but are you allowed to pinch an Irish person? Because if you aren't then I wouldn't have to worry! I'm part Irish \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~