I gave my brother a haircut!

Practical skills you have, would like to learn

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Taq
A great mapmaker

I gave my brother a haircut!

Post by Taq »

Two days ago, my mom got out the haircut razor in preparation to cut my 11-year-old brother's hair. She got waylaid by a phone call, so I started... and kept going... and finished. I did get some advice and a bit of trimming help from my mom in between her words with the friend, but otherwise, I successfully performed my first haircut! At the end, I was paid perhaps the biggest compliment of my life: "No offense, but Taq's better than Mommy!" O:)

Do tell us, what skills do you have that might help you later in life? What would you like to learn?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well done, Taq! You must have an outstanding relationship with your brother for him to let you cut his hair. ;) It's nice to know you have a future in hairdressing in case your current career plans don't pan out. Haha.

I can't cut hair... but I'm pretty good with fingernail clippers. Does that count? :-k
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've never cut hair...my sister is the one who takes care of that, so I've never tried my hand at it. Someday that would be a useful skill to have, no doubt. :)

I can't think of a specific, "Oh, this is a great skill to have," type of thing, other than all the normal stuff. Cooking, sewing, etc. etc. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I've never cut hair... Someday that would be a useful skill to have, no doubt. :)
Someday... like if you're ever stranded on a desert island with nothing but a volleyball to keep you entertained? :(
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I cut my 10-year-old brother's hair a couple weeks ago. Not all of it, but the front and sides. :p

I can touch my nose with my tongue! Does that count? \:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A friend of mine has been cutting his own hair for years! \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The Top Crusader wrote:A friend of mine has been cutting his own hair for years! \:D/
Does he just buzz-cut it?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

When I was about four, I cut my younger sister's hair! \:D/ She was about two and she was so proud of the great haircut that her big sister gave her. My mom nearly died after seeing how it was cut right to the scalp on one side and pretty short on the other side too. A hairdresser who was a friend of the family tried to fix it, but the next time we were at nursery school (my mom was helping, or else we probably would have stayed home!) somebody said, "And who's this little boy?" :lol: I continue to take credit for the fact that apparently her hair grew in much thicker than it was beforehand. \:D/ I wish we had a picture, though my sister is probably glad that we don't!

Skills that I don't have: hair cutting. ;)

Skills that I do have: thanks to years of working in a grocery store, I can easily make small talk with random strangers and I'm pretty good at guessing how to pronounce unusual last names. \:D/ Hopefully I can take that all the way to the bank! ;)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I've never cut hair... Someday that would be a useful skill to have, no doubt. :)
Someday... like if you're ever stranded on a desert island with nothing but a volleyball to keep you entertained? :(
Yeah, either that or whenever my sister isn't around anymore. :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Catspaw wrote:I'm pretty good at guessing how to pronounce unusual last names. \:D/ Hopefully I can take that all the way to the bank! ;)
Well, you could be a substitute teacher! You'd be a great attendance taker! \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I've never cut anyone's hair. Unless you count the time I cut my own hair when I was like 3. Not a good idea. :(

My fiance keeps saying I should cut his hair... I guess it would save us some money. But I wouldn't want to ruin his head. :boohoo: We'll see...
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Well done, Taq! You must have an outstanding relationship with your brother for him to let you cut his hair. ;)
Oh yes, so outstanding that he repeatedly warned me not to give him a bald spot. ;)
Laura Ingalls wrote:I can't think of a specific, "Oh, this is a great skill to have," type of thing, other than all the normal stuff. Cooking, sewing, etc. etc. \:D/
Other than! :noway: Laura, I was thinking of you when I created the thread. I'd love to be good at cooking... I need to find time to practice.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Evil Chick wrote:My fiance keeps saying I should cut his hair... I guess it would save us some money. But I wouldn't want to ruin his head. :boohoo: We'll see...
Haha, I would recomend waiting untill after the wedding. ;)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:My fiance keeps saying I should cut his hair... I guess it would save us some money. But I wouldn't want to ruin his head. :boohoo: We'll see...
Haha, I would recomend waiting untill after the wedding. ;)
Lol... Yeah... O:) We'll see if I ever muster the courage.
Laura Ingalls wrote:I can't think of a specific, "Oh, this is a great skill to have," type of thing, other than all the normal stuff. Cooking, sewing, etc. etc. \:D/
Lol... Those things are seriously overrated imho... Why do you think they make frozen pizzas and microwave dinners? Not to mention pasta! How much easier can life get? \:D/
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Evil Chick wrote:
Lol... Those things are seriously overrated imho... Why do you think they make frozen pizzas and microwave dinners? Not to mention pasta! How much easier can life get? \:D/
They make frozen dinners to make money off of people that don't want to cook, of course! \:D/ Homemade food is best for frugality AND taste, imho. O:)
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I cut my brother's hair after he and a couple other guys gave themselves faux hawks in preparation for the football championship! And then the principal said no to the faux hawks and I had to get rid of the rest of the hair on his head! \:D/

And I think I still managed to make it uneven. :-

Hmm, other skills.....well I can talk for a really long time about nothing! Does that count?
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Linne wrote: Hmm, other skills.....well I can talk for a really long time about nothing! Does that count?
:lol: :highfive: I'm with you on that one.

I'm also fairly good at guessing how to pronounce people's last names. I can do math quickly in my head, know how to sew (amazing, I know. :shock: ), have knitted before (but wouldn't call it a skill as I didn't like it), can bake, cook, and cake decorate, can play sports decently, and can keep people entertained easily. \:D/
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
They make frozen dinners to make money off of people that don't want to cook, of course! \:D/ Homemade food is best for frugality AND taste, imho. O:)
Quoted for truth. \:D/

Frozen dinners will never be as good as home cooked meals. :noway:
...I hate marquees.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

well the other day my lovely girlfriend got the idea that she wanted to highlight her her, and she had the equally wonderfully idea that I would be the perfect person to do it(yes I know sometimes she doesn't think things out like asking her 20 yrs old boyfriend who is the oldest of 4 boys to do her hair.) well so we set up and I read the instruction went through all the steps and after waiting ten minutes for the stuff to do its magic she hopped in the shower rinsed it out and styled it. Well I do have to say that it turned out amazing. All her friends are raving on how it looks and have been asking her where she got it done and when she tells them her boyfriend did it I just get a since of pride every time I see their jaws drop in dis-belief.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Great story and good job, MDB17! =D>

People noticed my brother's haircut, but I didn't get any special accolades. Neither did I receive any negative comments, so I'm not complaining. ;)