Internatiasional debate stuff here.

Use this post to argue.

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Why would people be taught, educated, or otherwise officially be forced some feeling of hatred, dislike, or otherwise resentment toward Americans? What about "multiculturalism"?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Gandalf is so correct about Canada. I qualify under category two. Yeah Queen! But I think Canada should have bought Alaska.

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Okay, I'm pretty sure that the only Canadians who would call themselves Americans are the ones who don't like being Canadian.

K1, it's not THAT cold up here. Maybe a bit cooler than the states, but it's not like there's constant snow or anything like that. Our annual temperature range is usually around -20 to +30 (Celcius, obviously!). Not too bad once you get used to it, especially since you seem to spend lots of time inside at your computer anyways. ;)
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

KODY 105 wrote:Why would people be taught, educated, or otherwise officially be forced some feeling of hatred, dislike, or otherwise resentment toward Americans?
To comment on this, there are countries that feel resent for America, both justified and not, like Palestinian countries have a right to resent America for various reason, and so does Canada.

At the Christian school I go to, everyone makes fun of Canada and France, and I'm sick of it. Honestly, it's so incredibly annoying and sick to make fun of other countries.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Pseudonym wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Qui est de Quebec? J'adore ce pays!
Je suis. \:D/

Of course, pretty much everyone in Quebec is trained to hate Americans (it's part of the propaganda brainwash session), but the poutine there is good, so that makes everything all right! \:D/
Vraiment? J'ai pense que les quebecois aiment bien les americains mais detestent les autre canadiens a cause de leurs maltraitances des francaphones...

Une amie americaine de moi, elle etait au Quebec il y a 2 ou 3 anees. Elle a dit que, quand les quebecois a l'ecoute parle anglais, ils ne la parlent pas. Mais quand ils comprendent qu'elle etait americaine et pas canadienne, ils parlent avec plaisir et etaient tres gentiles et cordials...

Pardon mon francais... J'ai reste en Belgique pour l'ete mais je n'avais pas l'occasion pour utiliser francais apres ca. Et je suis tres fashe que les accents ne marche pas avec ce forum ici.
Last edited by Gandalf on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

*dials phone* Hello? Yes, I'd like to hire a French-speaking person to translate the post above mine. ;)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

For some reason, I still don't understand this very well after the free translation site got done with it. ;)
Really? I have think that quebecois likes well americains but detestent other one Canadian has reason of their maltraitances of francaphones...

An americaine friend of me, her etait in Quebec there is 2 or 3 anees. She said that, when quebecois has the ecoute speak English, they do not speak it. But when they comprendent that she etait americaine and not sheepskin-lined jacket, they speak with pleasure and etaient tres gentiles and cordials...

Forgiveness my francais... I have rest in Belgium for the ete but I did not have opportunity to use francais apres ca. And I am tres fashe that accents do not walk with this forum here.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Laura Ingalls wrote:For some reason, I still don't understand this very well after the free translation site got done with it. ;)
Really? I have think that quebecois likes well americains but detestent other one Canadian has reason of their maltraitances of francaphones...

An americaine friend of me, her etait in Quebec there is 2 or 3 anees. She said that, when quebecois has the ecoute speak English, they do not speak it. But when they comprendent that she etait americaine and not sheepskin-lined jacket, they speak with pleasure and etaient tres gentiles and cordials...

Forgiveness my francais... I have rest in Belgium for the ete but I did not have opportunity to use francais apres ca. And I am tres fashe that accents do not walk with this forum here.
Yeah, I use those things to translate the lyrics of Romanian pop songs. They always are confuzzling...
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Bruce Wayne wrote:
KODY 105 wrote:Why would people be taught, educated, or otherwise officially be forced some feeling of hatred, dislike, or otherwise resentment toward Americans?
To comment on this, there are countries that feel resent for America, both justified and not, like Palestinian countries have a right to resent America for various reason, and so does Canada.

At the Christian school I go to, everyone makes fun of Canada and France, and I'm sick of it. Honestly, it's so incredibly annoying and sick to make fun of other countries.
I hate how many conservatives make fun of Canada and France. Having had so much international experience, I know that this does nothing to bolster international peace or harmony (especially since both countries are our strong allies). We need them both, and they are, with the exceptions of the United Kingdom and Israel and Australia, probably our strongest and most important allies.

That said, neither country has any reason to resent us, just as I feel it's ridiculous for Americans to resent either country.

About Palestine - Of course any country who has as its stated aim the destruction of a strong American ally (that would be Israel) for no reason other than sheer racial hatred and religious animosity has a lot to fear from the U.S. So in this sense, they have some right to resent us. But they are the bad guys here so no harm done. It's rather like a serial murderer or rapist who resents the detectives and cops that keep him behind bars. Please don't think for a moment that Palestine is some sort of victim and that the U.S. or Israel have mistreated them badly.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

And that is why I hate free translating sites. ;)

Ton francais est tres bon, Gandalf. :yes:

Je sais que mes grands-parents ont treate ma mere mal parce qu'elle etait americaine. Depuis la Guerre de Sept Ans, les quebecois, ils detestent tous les anglais, je pense. Mais je pense aussie que la nouvelle generation est plus aimable.

Regarding making fun of France, it's mainly because of Paris falling to German forces in WWII, I think. Of course, they were a crucial ally to the US in WWI, but nobody cares about that. ;)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I think "mistreated them badly" is either redundant or a double negative.

My French student sibling has graced me with a free translation of Gandalf's French.
Truly? I thought that the Quebec citizens liked the Americans but detested the other Canadians because of their mistreatment of those who speak French.

One American friend of mine, she was in Quebec for 2 to 3 years. She said that when the Quebec citizens had listened to them speak English, they did not speak it. But when they understood that she was American and not Canadian, they speak with pleasure and were very nice and cordial.

Pardon my French... I have stayed in Belgium for the summer but I have not had the occasion to use the French after that. I am very upset that the accents do not work on this forum.
For your amusement, I provide my original translation of the Ingrish Miss Ingalls provided.

Really? I always thought that citizens of Quebec like Americans but detest one another. One Canadian has reason of their [maltraitances] of French lovers.

An American friend of mine, she lived in Quebec there for 2 or three years. She said that when Quebec citizins have the option to speak English, they do not speak it. But when they comprehend that she lived in America [and not sheepskin-lined jacket], they speak with pleasure and were very gentle and cordial...

Forgive my French, I lived in Belgium for summer being but I did not have the opportunity to use French after that. And I am very
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

KODY 105 wrote:I think "mistreated them badly" is either redundant or a double negative.
I see no "mistreated them badly" anywhere... :-k

Did your free translation sibling come up with that one? ;)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Pseudonym wrote:
KODY 105 wrote:I think "mistreated them badly" is either redundant or a double negative.
I see no "mistreated them badly" anywhere... :-k

Did your free translation sibling come up with that one? ;)
I ought to get a free translation sibling. :-k
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Gandalf said "mistreated them badly" in his last post.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Gandalf wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:

About Palestine - Of course any country who has as its stated aim the destruction of a strong American ally (that would be Israel) for no reason other than sheer racial hatred and religious animosity has a lot to fear from the U.S. So in this sense, they have some right to resent us. But they are the bad guys here so no harm done. It's rather like a serial murderer or rapist who resents the detectives and cops that keep him behind bars. Please don't think for a moment that Palestine is some sort of victim and that the U.S. or Israel have mistreated them badly.
lol, this really isn't the debate, but I'll say a little bit here.

Well, first of all, most of the Palestinian people want peace. You are doing exactly what you don't want others doing to Canada and France. Stereotyping.

Think about it. The U.S. soldiers had to do some things that were very tramatic to the Palestinian people. Also think about that one little incident involving the humiliation of Palestinian POWs by US troops...

Don't become a robot, try to actually think for yourself. Don't be quick to jump on any group of people because of the limited amount of information you have, or have looked up.

The people that are the "bad guys" here are the radical extremists that want to take out Israel, but even than I can see the rationalism there. Anyway, this is a whole other debate for another time.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Also think about the Islamic terrorists who killed thousands of US civilians in that one little incident...

Or is that a figment of somebody's imagination?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

As much as I'd want to hop into this and go on about my beliefs on what happened on 9/11, I just have to say right now that I feel like I took a wrong turn and ended up in the debate faction. :(
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

But in HH debates, anything goes! Rant away!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

*sighs* Fine: the government is responsible for either letting it happen or doing the dirty deed themselves. They had plenty of military planes in the air when the attack occurred, more than enough to prevent the planes from crashing. They did it to maintain control over the people through fear as well as invade the Middle East to try to control their oil resources so that they can make more money through our car-dependant civilization. Which, by the way, could have switched over to completely electronic cars by now if not for government and company regulations that maintain the culture's total dependancy on oil and gas, neither of which are in short supply. The government has also kept that quiet so that they could over price us on fossil fuels. They're also exaggerating the climate change 'crisis' in order to control the people through fear as well as have an excuse to charge us with extra taxes.

There, I stated my opinion. And if you think I'm paranoid talk to my dad, because he's worse. You should hear him lament about online data mining.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I would enjoy his opinions on the subject. Whatever he says is true-- don't disbelieve it!