Where do you work?

...and how did you come to work there?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Evil Chick wrote:Actually, it's generally not. It's really fun! Mostly we proofread textbooks, and it's very educational. I've learned a lot reading 3rd grade science.
You get to proofread the new textbooks at the UP? That is cool!

I suppose lots of people would have fun finding others' mistakes! ;)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I work at home. I do cool things like sewing, laundry, cooking, quilting, cleaning, and I throw in a decorated cake or two every once in awhile. \:D/ I got the job by being born into my family. Neat, huh?! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I work at home. I do cool things like sewing, laundry, cooking, quilting, cleaning, and I throw in a decorated cake or two every once in awhile. \:D/ I got the job by being born into my family. Neat, huh?! \:D/
Hehe, I love this answer :D
Admiral wrote:As for the photography... Well, it started through word of mouth and people seeing my work. Wink After seeing my work they realized it was horrible and decided to tell everyone they knew about it!
That's awesome -- do you have a website? I'd love to see. My situation is sort of similar. In fact, I have two commissions in the course of the next two weeks. (A "first birthday" photoshoot, and a family.) I'm also doing a wedding in August. What camera does you use?

I'm double majoring in Photography and Culinary Arts, and if things continue taking off, It's looking like I may be able to drop my second job if I wanted to and solely do photography. I might just love my job at Le Creuset too much though. My coworkers are fantastic, I'd totally miss them if I left --- so I'm in no rush.
Sherlock wrote:Currently I work as a lawyer, but its pretty dull so I'll tell you about my other (somewhat) recent jobs Wink
Actually, that's very impressive. Where did you graduate from? :)
Felicity Blackgaard wrote:I work for DaVita Healthcare. We're a dialysis company and I work at one of our corporate offices in Irvine, California. My title is team file clerk. I make sure our team is supplied and make sure they get their paper work on time and filed too. I do many other things for my bosses and I do help other teammates with the workload if it's too much to handle for them.
Do you ever find yourself resentful of them for that? I never minded helping my coworkers out, in fact I enjoy it, but I used to get really resentful at my old job when my manager would ask repeatedly to take over managing the team for the night, but was still paying me less than them because of my age at the time.

Sounds like you're a master multitasker. ;) Paperwork makes my head spin. That's the one part of my job I hate, when we have to send stuff to the district manager, etc.

I'm curious how many people have a resume, and if so, how long is it? I really struggled putting together my resume a few months ago.

-Trill
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

My resume is 2 pages. It should probably be a little shorter. Next time I apply for a job I'll have to re-work it and update it.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Nice! :) I totally overlooked your post before. Sorry. =/ What exactly do you do as a speech-language pathologist?
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Trillspots wrote:Nice! :) I totally overlooked your post before. Sorry. =/ What exactly do you do as a speech-language pathologist?
I express similar sentiments to those posted by the user above me. I thought pathologists studied pathology...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Most likely she works with the diagnosis of diseases that cause speech-language disorders?
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

KODY 105 wrote:
Trillspots wrote:Nice! :) I totally overlooked your post before. Sorry. =/ What exactly do you do as a speech-language pathologist?
I express similar sentiments to those posted by the user above me. I thought pathologists studied pathology...
Yep, we work with language and speech disorders. In elementary schools this ends up being a lot of articulation or speech sounds (kids who can't say k, g, s, l, r, etc.) and language (having difficulty expressing themselves orally or written and also receptively understanding directions or reading). I'm in a sr. high school so I work a ton with language, literacy, reading, writing, and also social skills for students with Asperger's/Autism. I also work with 18-21 year olds with language, social skills, fluency/stuttering.

On Saturdays I work in acute inpatient rehab. in a hospital and work with swallowing, language, speech, memory for people who have had some sort of brain trauma or stroke/bleed, whatever. It's awesome! It's fast paced and hard work but I love it.

If you want more info, www.asha.org tells what we do :-)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I worked as an Office Assistant of sorts in the Computer Science department at my school for a few months sophomore year, but I didn't really do much...

This year, I've been a Front Desk worker at my school's gym... and still don't do a whole lot.

Lots of great experience, yes? O:)
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

KODY 105 wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:Actually, it's generally not. It's really fun! Mostly we proofread textbooks, and it's very educational. I've learned a lot reading 3rd grade science.
You get to proofread the new textbooks at the UP? That is cool!

I suppose lots of people would have fun finding others' mistakes! ;)
Yup! It is cool! Actually, most of the textbooks that go through now are revisions, not actually new books.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trillspots wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Currently I work as a lawyer, but its pretty dull so I'll tell you about my other (somewhat) recent jobs Wink
Actually, that's very impressive. Where did you graduate from? :)
A school I spend a lot of time at, considering I'm not a student there.

Anywho, I work as an assistant manager for Walgreen's. Which is why I'm not around much any more. I started as a clerk there during a desperate job search; I never had any intention whatsoever of working there. I actually had intention of not working there. Anywho, after a couple of years a few managers recommended that I apply for their internship (something I wasn't even aware of). So I did, and the person I interviewed with was very impressed and offered me the position before the interview ended. She then pulled strings to get me in her store. That's what I did last summer and now I've been placed in a store as a manager.

The process for getting the internship was the usual resume (which needs updating), applying, interview, etc. The nice thing was after the internship I didn't need to apply for the manager position (they made the current job offer at the end of the summer), which is appearently a bit more involved with two interviews as opposed to just one.

As for what I do, that would make this post far too long ;) It's a very involved job with a ton of responsibilities and duties and, needless to say, there is never a dull moment or "usual" day. Keeps me crazy busy, and I like it that way.
I'm curious how many people have a resume, and if so, how long is it? I really struggled putting together my resume a few months ago.
As I stated earlier, mine needs to be updated. It's a page long and I had to work at keeping it that short.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I work at my church's pre-school! \:D/ Well, "work", if you will... I baby-sit two of the teacher's babies (2 yrs. & 16 mo.) twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday; the 1 year old class is only three days. And I fill in for teacher work-days, and anytime else...

Um... Miss C. and Miss L. chose me and Aeva as their first pick for it last year, and Aeva said "no", so I do it "full-time". This is my second year, and hopefully I'll be able to do it for another couple of years. I love babies...! =D
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I took this picture about a week ago and thought that it was an awesometastical picture that you all might find cool:

Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Trillspots: I went to Michigan for half of law school and Minnesota for the other half. In hindsight, I wouldn't recommend transferring. ;)

Jonathan: You work at Walgreens? I hope you took the job from the angry manager that used to work at the one out here! He was mildly unpleasant, to say the least.

JIA: That picture makes me think of light-up Christmas candles for some strange reason....
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Trillspots wrote:That's awesome -- do you have a website? I'd love to see. My situation is sort of similar. In fact, I have two commissions in the course of the next two weeks. (A "first birthday" photoshoot, and a family.) I'm also doing a wedding in August. What camera does you use?
I don't have a website, no... Mainly because I am not really sure if I want to advertise, go into this more. Photography is something I really enjoy but I fear my joy will be ripped away if I do it all the time. ;) I'm currently on my third photography class (not college... Just 6 week courses at a time) and trying to decide if I want to study photography further, or perhaps go to college for something else. I'm kind of exploring my options and trying to decide what would be a wise choice. As dorky as that sounds.

I use Nikon... On my second one right now, it's what I feel most comfortable with, I guess. What do you use?
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Sherlock wrote:I went to Michigan for half of law school and Minnesota for the other half. In hindsight, I wouldn't recommend transferring. Wink
Too late for that...I'm transferring to AI Washington this fall, from online classes. Perhaps a bit different, though. :)
Admiral wrote:I don't have a website, no... Mainly because I am not really sure if I want to advertise, go into this more. Photography is something I really enjoy but I fear my joy will be ripped away if I do it all the time. Wink I'm currently on my third photography class (not college... Just 6 week courses at a time) and trying to decide if I want to study photography further, or perhaps go to college for something else. I'm kind of exploring my options and trying to decide what would be a wise choice. As dorky as that sounds.

I use Nikon... On my second one right now, it's what I feel most comfortable with, I guess. What do you use?
I don't think that sounds dorky at all - it's an important decision. College is expensive, I'm currently at a point where I could decide to go about three different directions with my degree and I, too, am trying to decide if I want to go into Photography permanently - or possibly Art Therapy.

I use a Canon 40D, which I absolutely love. :) I'm looking into upgrading to a 5D Mark II though. Do you have a favorite lens? I want a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens so badly right now.

-Trill
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

Trillspots wrote: Do you ever find yourself resentful of them for that? I never minded helping my coworkers out, in fact I enjoy it, but I used to get really resentful at my old job when my manager would ask repeatedly to take over managing the team for the night, but was still paying me less than them because of my age at the time.

Sounds like you're a master multitasker. ;) Paperwork makes my head spin. That's the one part of my job I hate, when we have to send stuff to the district manager, etc.

-Trill
I nearly forgot to reply to this. D'oh!

I'm not resentful to any of my teammates. There have been some teammates in the past that took advantage of my help or got angry if I didn't cater to them. It was frustrating and I felt like a 'Walter Shakespeare' in my department.

Now it's much better and I got more reliable teammates. So far, I haven't helped in months due to our workload and I was handling a two person job for nearly 2 months. Now I got a new assistant and she's been great. We both are into the same things, same beliefs AND she's proof God answers prayers quickly. Phew. She's a fast learner as well... only a week of training and she got it down pat by the middle of that week. :)

And yes, I do have a resume. But I haven't updated it in 4 years. I best do that sometime in case something happens.