Inauguration Day

Barack Obama is now the President...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Inauguration Day

Post by Laura Ingalls »

So....anybody else watch the inauguration today? We put the bunny ears on our small television to see everything. O:)

Thoughts and comments?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

“when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead man and when white would embrace what is right.”

Best speech ending, ever.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Ah... I forgot about time zones. :anxious: Not that I care that much about politics anyway, but I had noon in my head as the regular inauguration time. #-o Oh well, highlights on CNN all day I'd expect, or I can look for it online.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Yeah, I watched it.

I think it's funny how there is all that fanfare for an oath that is under a minute long.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

And the oath was stumbled through, too. O:) I can just see that happening to me if I had to say something like that in front of millions of people... :thud:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I watched it as well. Very interesting.

The oath was a bit garbled up, but the news lady said something about it being said wrong at first. *shrugs*
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Aeva wrote:Yeah, I watched it.

I think it's funny how there is all that fanfare for an oath that is under a minute long.
I disagree. That's like saying wedding ceremonies are too long because the vows don't take that long. It's still significant.

I watched it online. I enjoyed Itzak Perlman and seeing the former presidents and first ladies. Some parts left a lot to be desired (yes let's all pray for tolerance because that IS the number one virtue, isn't it?).
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

I agree with you, Aeva, although EUCC does have a point.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

EUCC wrote:
Aeva wrote:I think it's funny how there is all that fanfare for an oath that is under a minute long.
I disagree. That's like saying wedding ceremonies are too long because the vows don't take that long. It's still significant.
Some wedding ceremonies are too long, but that's besides the point. :anxious:

The length of the occasion doesn't determine its significance - it's what's said and done that makes something important. I still have some reservations about Obama, but I'll give him one thing - he sure knows how to effectively deliver a convincing speech. Only time will tell whether or not he is able to usher in the change he's been promising.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
EUCC wrote:
Aeva wrote:I think it's funny how there is all that fanfare for an oath that is under a minute long.
Some wedding ceremonies are too long, but that's besides the point. :anxious:

The length of the occasion doesn't determine its significance - it's what's said and done that makes something important. I still have some reservations about Obama, but I'll give him one thing - he sure knows how to effectively deliver a convincing speech. Only time will tell whether or not he is able to usher in the change he's been promising.
Wow..it's like you read my mind on that whole post... :shock:
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Azariah Ben Yaakov wrote:“when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead man and when white would embrace what is right.”

:hilarious:

That part was hilarious!
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

V-lady wrote:
Azariah Ben Yaakov wrote:“when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead man and when white would embrace what is right.”

That part was hilarious!
I took personal offense when he said "yellow will be mellow." :noway:
**crez go to sonuna
uz: MELF WILL YOU MARRY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?!?!?!?!?!?
mirkwoodelf: I DONT KNOW I HAS OTHER PROPOSALSES.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Laura Ingalls wrote:And the oath was stumbled through, too. O:) I can just see that happening to me if I had to say something like that in front of millions of people... :thud:
Ha, yeah its hard to hold it against him under the circumstances but its kind of ironic since Bush has always been hammered for his speaking missteps.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

uz wrote:
V-lady wrote:

That part was hilarious!
I took personal offense when he said "yellow will be mellow." :noway:
I watched the Inauguration at my dorm with five other students, 4/6 of us "yellow." We laughed.
Laura Ingalls wrote:And the oath was stumbled through, too. O:) I can just see that happening to me if I had to say something like that in front of millions of people... :thud:
During Biden's oath, I was thinking that the phrases were a bit long and wondering what would happen if the short-term memory failed.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Ha, yeah its hard to hold it against him under the circumstances but its kind of ironic since Bush has always been hammered for his speaking missteps.
But of course the media won't destroy Obama's image for it like they did Bush's.. :-
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

I think I shed a tear or two. It was quite a thrilling experience. I can only imagine the parties going on tonight.

I can only pray that God gives our new president the wisdom to do what he needs to do.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I thought it was great. I personnally love pomp and circumstance (in general, and the song too :D ). I enjoyed seeing the first black President being inaugurated, what a huge deal. I can only hope that Obama will indeed help this economic crisis. His speech was amazing.

lol, yes tolerance is a good thing and a bad thing. Tolerance is usually good, but if you are tolerating someone killing you, than it is bad. lol

So what did everyone think of Obama's decision to have Rick Warren give the invocation? It was very controversial.

JesusFreak42 wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
But of course the media won't destroy Obama's image for it like they did Bush's.. :-
The media will destroy anyone's image if they get the chance. One slip up and you're done for, either Fox (anti-Democrat) or CNN (anti-Republican) will finish you off.
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

JesusFreak42 wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
At least not yet, just give it a few months...
Scientific progress goes BOINK!
Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

"The question is not if government big or small, but if it works."

Um, yeah, not the most constitutional political ideology, there, Mr. President. :-s
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Dr. Watson wrote:"The question is not if government big or small, but if it works."

Um, yeah, not the most constitutional political ideology, there, Mr. President. :-s
I'd have to agree with Mr. Obama. Whether it is constitutional or not, it's true. It really dosen't matter if the government is big or small. If it works, it's a good one. If it dosen't... well you get the idea.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?