Well, that's strange...

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Well, that's strange...

Post by Sarah »

Recently, I was forced to watch "Baby Geniuses: Superbabies" by my 8 yr old brother. Let me tell you, it was definately a pretty dumb movie in my opinion, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, about halfway through the movie, I came to notice something very strange... there was a machine in the movie called "The Imagination Station".

Isn't that name like... copyrighted or something? Could FOF sue? If I were head of FOF, I wouldn't sue... but if it was just me, I probably would, but that's just me, because I over react about stuff like this.

What are YOUR opinions? (on the situation, not the movie :P)

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I need information about who copied or who made the mistake before I will know for sure. How old is that movie? If it is newer than 15 years then they copied or didn't know what they were doing.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

AIOfan11 wrote:I need information about who copied or who made the mistake before I will know for sure. How old is that movie? If it is newer than 15 years then they copied or didn't know what they were doing.
It was origionaly released in 2004 to theaters. It stayed in for about a week though. :P It just came out on video a little while ago.

I checked, and it was by Sony Pictures.

In the movie, it doesn't do the same thing as the AIO IS, but I think don't think that's allowed. :P

Sarah
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

That's really weird. You think somebody else would have noticed.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Listening to the radio recently my ears perked up when I heard the words "Imagination Station." They were referring to some place that had to be shut down temporarily... I don't remember the details. I wouldn't be hasty to claim copyright laws. Is the IS copyrighted by Focus? The name itself isn't terribly difficult to think up.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I have not watched the movie in question (and probably won't as I'm not big on TV / movies) however:

Many books, TV, radio shows, etc. usually contain something along these lines somewhere before the beginning:
All characters and places in this _____ are fictional and any similarity to other places or person, real or fictional are purely coincidental.
Now it's not always that wording (in fact probably not that wording as I just re-did that from a very poor memory), but it is a disclaimer that they could stand behind if anyone were to try to bring a law suit against them for copyright infringment.

Also........take a few minutes to REALLY think about FOTF.......From what I know about FOTF (as well as a few of their employees) I seriously doubt they'd take such action over something that trivial.

Now of course, if people were starting a show, theatre production, book or other form of entertainment based off AIO w/o permission and charging money for it, then the person could be held liable since when you download scripts from the offical site you see this (or anyway use to):
You can print this script and act it out for friends as long as you don't change any part of the script or charge money for it
I was looking for the real statement (maybe Nathan could help us out here), but I didn't see it when I went to download the script that is up.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts on the issue.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I don''t think sueing someone would be a good way of telling people about AIO...That Christian radio show #-o
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Oh dear... Please understand that I definately wasn't saying I WANTED them to sue, I was just asking wether or not they could. Like, if it would be a legitimate case. :P

And I must agree with you Screech, it definately would not be a very good way of promoting AIO as a good role model.

Thanks for your research Gimp :)

Sarah
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Well, considering our country allows people to spill coffee (something a 4 yr old knows is "hot" without reading a warning label) on themselves yet sue for millions I guess FOTF would have a ligitimate case.......IF the IS is copyrighted.

However I still find it difficult to even think that FOTF would take such action over something so trivial (considering they did it too).

Snow Day (the movie was out first)
The Trinagle (Again, the move was out first.........long before FOTF even existed).

I'm sure there are other episodes that would apply, but I just know those two off the top of my head.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

I can't even believe they made a sequel to that awful movie #-o
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

gimp80995 wrote:I'm sure there are other episodes that would apply, but I just know those two off the top of my head.
There are TONS of ep titles that share names with other things... I have no idea if all of them were intentional or not. Like "A Day in the Life" (more likely) and "The Graduate" (less likely).
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I bet that The Imagination Station has been used some palce else before Odyssey was around.
Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

I wouldn't sue because I've seen that name in a lot of different places, and on various items. I don't know I, do feel strongly about Advetnures in Odyssey, but still I wouldn't sue on something as typical.
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Sue Wiesel! Sue Wiesel! :lol:

I doubt FOTF has a copyright on the term Imagination Station.
You can print this script and act it out for friends as long as you don't change any part of the script or charge money for it
I actually preformed an Odyssey script that was partially modified.

I was in a special district drama thing a while back and I think I remember them saying that there's a copyright law specifically for theatre that states that you can take parts of the script out, but you can't add to it. I think that's the case, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure.
Chandler wrote:
gimp80995 wrote:I'm sure there are other episodes that would apply, but I just know those two off the top of my head.
There are TONS of ep titles that share names with other things... I have no idea if all of them were intentional or not. Like "A Day in the Life" (more likely) and "The Graduate" (less likely).
Chandlers right, many episodes are common phrases or spoofs of common phrases. In fact, I would say a majority are. That would be like sign companies sueing FOTF for the episode titled Exit. :lol: The Imaganation Station is different, although I'm pretty sure they don't have a copyright on that either. They definetly wouldn't get it just by putting it in episodes and producing them and selling them (as I believe gets you copyrights to something in a book). They would have had to file for it (much like when McDonalds copyrighted the word smile) which, again, I highly doubt they did.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This thread is from well over three years ago, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;) In general, thread bumping is discouraged, but more quality discussion is always a good thing!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

:oops: Aaaahhh! I'm so embarassed. I didn't even look at the dates and I though it was just started 'cause I haven't been on all day. I didn't even realize it was bumped. I'm so sorry!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:This thread is from well over three years ago, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;) In general, thread bumping is discouraged, but more quality discussion is always a good thing!
I was like, "Who was posting from my acount??" :x

Then I realized it was my evil twin from 3 years ago. :-
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

wow...old thread. Whodathunk, though...cause I watched that movie last year and was really quite surprised to hear the Imagination Station being mentioned. It was kind of weird...