Two Great Losses

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Two Great Losses

Post by Over the Rainbow »

A tragedy has occured this summer, twice. And within a month of each other. It is only being reported now because they didn't want any reporters or publicity at their funerals.

The last widow of a Kentucky Confederate died in August, I believe.
The last daughter of a Kentucky Confederate died in September, I believe.

I'm not sure of their ages. I wish I had a link to the article, but it is missing and an error keeps popping up.

The last link to one of the greatest times in history has been lost forever.

*Plays Dixie and flies old Stars and Bars*
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just had to find out about the widow, since I was trying to do the math for her to still be alive and it wasn't working, but if you click here, you can see how their extreme age gap made it possible for her to just die this year, instead of several decades ago.

I didn't spend much time searching for the daughter one, but it didn't pop right up in Google the way the other article did. :-k
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Wow. I had no idea any Confederate (or even Union) widows would be around now.

(What 19-year-old would marry an 86-year-old anyway? He must have been quite a gentleman.)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Hannahjiejie
Animatronic

Post by Hannahjiejie »

Fyedka wrote:Wow. I had no idea any Confederate (or even Union) widows would be around now.

(What 19-year-old would marry an 86-year-old anyway? He must have been quite a gentleman.)
And she must have had quite the servants heart... I don't know if I could ever do that.

Wow. That was a long time ago.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

I'm sincerely sorry for the death of the Confederate Widow she was a true representation of an artifact of history. :boohoo:
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Catspaw wrote:I just had to find out about the widow, since I was trying to do the math for her to still be alive and it wasn't working, but if you click here, you can see how their extreme age gap made it possible for her to just die this year, instead of several decades ago.

I didn't spend much time searching for the daughter one, but it didn't pop right up in Google the way the other article did. :-k
Hey look - an article in the Charlottesville, VA newspaper! \:D/ People around here have dubbed it the Daily Regress. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

I still don't get why you are going to marry someone 68 years your senior.... I mean isn't that a little extreme for this day and age (and the past 200 years of this day and age)

But to each his/her own.... :-
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Tevye wrote:I still don't get why you are going to marry someone 68 years your senior.... I mean isn't that a little extreme for this day and age (and the past 200 years of this day and age)

But to each his/her own.... :-
I would feel like being married to my Grandfather. :anxious:
Jaina Sal Solo
I've been here a bit

Post by Jaina Sal Solo »

I certainly don't think that's a loss she wasn't intimately involved with the Civil War she married someone who could pass for her Grandfather who happended to be in the Civil War.
Related to: JED (unfortunately)

I am the ultimate Star Wars fan. (like my big bro)
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Jaina Sal Solo wrote:I certainly don't think that's a loss she wasn't intimately involved with the Civil War she married someone who could pass for her Grandfather who happended to be in the Civil War.
Still, she knew him, shared a home and was united with him through marriage.

As for the daughter, she was his own flesh and blood and he fought in 1861-1865. It is now 2008. Quite a gap in time. Just think of all the things they experienced, their parents witnessed when slavery was finally made illegal (Thank God!), Lincoln, when horses were the main source of transportation, etc.
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

Yeah well personally I like this time zone better. ;)

Just a personal preference as much as I would like to witness the end of slavery that would mean that I would have to be a slave if I had to "imagine" being back in those times.

Though it is nice to think about horses being the main mode of transportation.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

...my assumption is that she was forced into marriage... perhaps her father traded for a new set of oxen or something! \:D/

But its certainly interesting.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Actually, a girl I know is related to her or somthing like that. She thinks she may have gotten pregnant and the Father of the baby refused to marry her. And the veteran, out of the kindness of his sweet heart, may have taken her as his wife so she wouldn't be humiliated and everyone would think the baby was his. But it looks like she had a miscarriage shortly after they were married.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

The Top Crusader wrote:...my assumption is that she was forced into marriage... perhaps her father traded for a new set of oxen or something! \:D/

But its certainly interesting.
Either she was forced into marriage, or the old timer had a lot of money that she wanted since he was going to check out early \:D/.

Ok, in all seriousness, that COULD have been the case :p. But, it really is sad that the last widow and daughter died.....