First Jobs

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
C. James
Gold Member

Post by C. James »

I worked for my dad for a while. That was my first hourly paid job.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

My first real job was working ground for a college in my town. It wasn't amazing money but it was a lot of fun, mostly cause of the boss. A great boss can make all the difference with a mediocre job.
Scientific progress goes BOINK!
Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Babysitting. Then babysitting at the YMCA.

And now I'm jobless...:( It's REALLY hard to find a job around here.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The things that I've gotten paid for that's NOT household stuff was dog sitting and yard raking for neighbors years back. These days I get paid if someone orders a cake. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Laura Ingalls wrote:The things that I've gotten paid for that's NOT household stuff was dog sitting and yard raking for neighbors years back. These days I get paid if someone orders a cake. :)
Oooh, that sounds fun! I took a cake decorating class, once. It was really...tasty. Do you bake and decorate and everything, or what?
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

My first real jobs have been on campus this and last year, first as an Office Assistant, then as a substitute Front Desk worker at my school's gym.

My moneymaking schemes in my earlier years were much more interesting: looking under the couch cushions for change, selling homemade potholders to family members, making my own little newspapers/magazines, setting up a lone table by the road to create the world's smallest yard sale... :-
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Jugglah wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:The things that I've gotten paid for that's NOT household stuff was dog sitting and yard raking for neighbors years back. These days I get paid if someone orders a cake. :)
Oooh, that sounds fun! I took a cake decorating class, once. It was really...tasty. Do you bake and decorate and everything, or what?
Yes, I bake and decorate. \:D/ I have my own home business, but it's not really going strong yet. Right now I'm still just making the occasional cake for friends. At the moment I'm preparing to make my first official wedding cake...the last weekend in October. Exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. :p Although I'm not actually getting paid for it - it's going to be our wedding gift to a close friend.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

My very first job... lasted like.... 7 years! \:D/ Working for my dad! Doing random things like mowing\mulching\paper work\bills\snow-plowing. Fun, fun! Paid better than I get now! \:D/

Now, of course, my first real job is currently at Macy's. As well, doing random photography. Family\Senior\ and most popular: wedding! \:D/ I framed my first dollar... and hung it up. \:D/ It's my favorite job between the two. ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

LizzieG wrote:setting up a lone table by the road to create the world's smallest yard sale... :-
I cracked up over that one. :lol:

Anyways, when I was eight and nine I started doing yard work for neighbors. I was the little kid on his bike knocking on people's doors. I'll bet it was weird for those people. But, I was making a goodly sum (at the time ;) ) doing that. I had this one client who would let me come over and spend 4-5 hours a day doing things for him. At $5.00 an hour I was rich! \:D/

Anyways, that was my first job. And, I still sort of do it... When I was eleven I copied tapes for our church and our homeschool organization, which was okay money. It was alot easier that's for sure. :-

And, if those don't count as real jobs I do sales now. :D
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I remember when my parents payed me $0.25 to wash each vehicle! \:D/ That was a while back... Maybe when I was like 8 or something. xD I worked for my grandpa a bit as well at $4 an hour. Worked as a babysitter for MOPS at around $4 an hour as well. Worked as a babysitter at my church for near $8 an hour. Have babysat for random people and I think the most I got from one of those jobs was near $50 for watching 4 kids for 4 hours or so. :- Anyhoo... I've pretty much been gypped when it comes to most of those jobs. ;) But, my first "official" job is the one I'm at right now: Dairy Queen! \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I did some babysitting for neighbors, and occasionally in junior high or high school I filed charts in my dad's office. The summer after high school I spent a few weeks working at a Boy Scout camp.

But the first official job that I went out and got on my own was at Disneyland! \:D/ I worked at outdoor food carts for a year and a half. Then I danced in a parade there the summer after that.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Darcie wrote:But the first official job that I went out and got on my own was at Disneyland! \:D/ I worked at outdoor food carts for a year and a half. Then I danced in a parade there the summer after that.
Wow, that's a very unique job to be sure. ;)

My first real job was at Walgreens which I absolutely loathed. The second was at the State Fair.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Darcie wrote:But the first official job that I went out and got on my own was at Disneyland! \:D/ I worked at outdoor food carts for a year and a half. Then I danced in a parade there the summer after that.
When did you work there?
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
Wow, that's a very unique job to be sure. ;)

My first real job was at Walgreens which I absolutely loathed.
Really? I've worked there since 2005 and have loved it--starting in January I'll be an assistant manager in a Twin Cities store.
The second was at the State Fair.
Nice ^_^ I haven't been to the fair since 2003, sadly (when I used to be in the parade) and I miss it. And I'm assuming you're talking about the MN state fair. What did you do there?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Jonathan wrote:When did you work there?
May '96 - Dec '97, Apr - Sept '98 and a couple times filling in after that through the following spring. And yes, I realize these dates are before some people here were born.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Darcie wrote:
Jonathan wrote:When did you work there?
May '96 - Dec '97, Apr - Sept '98 and a couple times filling in after that through the following spring. And yes, I realize these dates are before some people here were born.
Ah, not when I was there then.

The parade folks at Disneyland did not like our group ;)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I'm gonna guess Magic Music Days? \:D/
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Darcie wrote:I'm gonna guess Magic Music Days? \:D/
Nope, but I happen to be wearing a Magic Music Days t-shirt at the moment \:D/ (I'll explain the whole thing when I'm not in class)
Lizzy
Not Implemented

Post by Lizzy »

I babysat usually for family and close friends but sometimes for random people... it didn't pay all that well but in some ways it prepared me for the job I do now... and it does pay fairly well! My first "real" job was at Safeway... the longest three months of my life!
It's good to visit again... it's been a while!