How do you pronounce "xiao"?

VOTE!

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!

How do you pronounce my name?

Ecks-ayo
22%
Sha-ow
24%
Zao (Zow)
18%
Zee-ow
No votes
Zio
20%
Other (specify)
16%

Total votes: 50

xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

How do you pronounce "xiao"?

Post by xiao »

How do you guys pronounce it?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Zio
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Chinese way...? :anxious:

Xiao. ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

el-oh-el. \:D/
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Mandarin Chinese method; basically option 2 strung together as more or less one syllable.

I'm not sure which tone it is, though. This has irritated me for some time because I am a strange and silly person.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Sonuna wrote:Mandarin Chinese method; basically option 2 strung together as more or less one syllable.

I'm not sure which tone it is, though. This has irritated me for some time because I am a strange and silly person.
Yes, 2 is basically one syllable: "Shaow" rhyming with "now" or "wow", I just used the dash to make it easier to read, you see. \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I've always thought and I voted for #3 before reading Trent or Sonona's posts... #2 does make way more sense now that I think of it. :(
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

The correct way. \:D/
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I pronounce it Chow. :p
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I've always pronounced it "zow" \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

I didn't know how. So I said "zie -aye- oh." Hah. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I always have pronounced it Eck-sayo. I know it's wrong, but it's easier to say for me.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I pronounce it the Asian way, shaow. xD

Doesn't xiao mean "small" in Chinese. :-
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yay, I say it in a completely irrational way! Zay-oh! \:D/
But I'm used to saying it that way, and even though I know the correct way I'm not going to switch. :noway:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I never quite figured it out, but I would always say "Ecks-I-o" in my head for some reason. :anxious:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I've been pronouncing it as "Chow." I know no Chinese or anything like it. Anglicized Chinese for me!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Fei wrote:I pronounce it the Asian way, shaow. xD

Doesn't xiao mean "small" in Chinese.
It means at least four different things in Mandarin, possibly five if there's a neutral-tone meaning and probably more.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I believe correctly it's Sh-ow but I pronounce it Ex-ow because its more fun. \:D/
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

Anyone who has had the privilage of skyping knows it's Sha-ow, or as Sonuna prefers "Shaow".
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

Cow!
Not dead yet.