Palin/Biden Debate

Thoughts?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

If I'm not mistaken, which I might be, since I'm human, I seem to remember Biden saying something about "McClellan" after Palin made her statement. Perhaps he didn't know the name either, and was just going along with her because he assumed she knew what she was talking about.

And you know, everyone already knew that Palin isn't too good with foreign policy. But she sure knows a lot about domestic policy. So I think that in that way, she and McCain complement each other.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Jugglah wrote:And you know, everyone already knew that Palin isn't too good with foreign policy. But she sure knows a lot about domestic policy. So I think that in that way, she and McCain complement each other.
Just because I feel like playing devil's advocate, couldn't that same exact argument be used for the Obama/Biden ticket?
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Jonathan wrote:
Jugglah wrote:And you know, everyone already knew that Palin isn't too good with foreign policy. But she sure knows a lot about domestic policy. So I think that in that way, she and McCain complement each other.
Just because I feel like playing devil's advocate, couldn't that same exact argument be used for the Obama/Biden ticket?
Not really, because Obama is experienced neither in foreign nor domestic policy. ;)
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Nor in any policy, except that he has the amazing talent recognize every liberal idea as it passes through Congress and voting for it, giving him the dubious and rather frightening honor of having the most liberal record of any Senator, and I assume that includes Hillary. Who'd a thunk it? (That was an effort to sound "folksy" like Palin, just so you know).
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

She knows a lot about domestic policy? I can't think of a single policy area she's competent in other than energy, and she's not even very good at communicating that! What makes you think she knows a lot about domestic policy?
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I was hit every time I laughed at something stupid Palin said. :(
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I was most amused by how Gov. Palin prefaced most comments with something about how she's not your usual "Washington-type" person.

The debate (or what I heard of it) left me wondering whether either candidate gave much thought to the myriad of pitiful quips they made.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It would have been better if Stockdale was there and could talk about his hearing aid! \:D/
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Antes que nada, I want to make clear that I haven't been following any of this in real life, and don't know anything about politics. :anxious:

...But you guys are making this sound really, really depressing. :mope:
don't forget the rain.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I found the debate to be rather depressing. She [Palin] really didn't prove much to me, personally, in the debates. Other than the fact that she can wink and act all 'folksy'... There were numerous times I felt that she was avoiding\or simply didn't know the answer to many questions. I just saw her as missing too many opportunities to really hit on various important issues.

I like her as a person - seems like a nice woman- but have serious doubts about her as Vice. However, I still support the team.

I don't think she's a moron... I just don't think she portrayed herself... properly? I'm not sure how to phrase it. She did better than I would have... but that's not exactly how we want to measure our candidates for president\vice president. ;) Which is what scares me.

*sigh*
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

KristopherWindsor wrote:Let me rephrase that... either you're Republican, or you aren't voting, or you are voting for some minority party that doesn't stand a chance... :p

um.... still bad assumption. I'm voting for Obama.

As for the debate, I thought both candidates did well, Palin especially since I was pretty horrified from her interviews previously... but she managed to be coherent and somewhat knowledgeable even though I disliked how she talked almost exclusively about energy through many questions. I agree with Clodius Albinus's opinions from the previous page but I was expecting much worse from her so I was still impressed.

Biden I hadn't known much about at all, I appreciated what he said. And by the way, saying global warming is caused by humans is not a lie. It is indeed supported by many scientific studies. It might still be wrong, possibly, but it isn't a lie. I do know he got a few facts wrong... but if you noticed he was talking facts all the time. I counted perhaps two actual hard numbers from Palin, and they were only about Alaska. I appreciated Biden's knowledge on more subjects and his willingness to actually say something rather than stock phrases.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I thought it was pretty good. Although I really have no opinion as to who did better on it, I think that Palin looked prettier than Biden did. Joe's chin looked really weird, but Palin did her hair nice. I don't live in USA so half the time I didn't know what they were talking about though, but I live close to Alaska, so Go PALIN!
Battle Cry
Not as new

Post by Battle Cry »

has anyone seen the SNL version of the debate?
here's a link: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/ ... en/727421/
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Battle Cry wrote:has anyone seen the SNL version of the debate?
here's a link: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/ ... en/727421/
Mm. I have a love hate relationship with SNL. Mostly love, even when I don't agree with it. Tina Fey is genius. I especially love the Palin/Hillary commercial. Amy Pohlen is also genius. But yeah, I can just see the SNL writers (who are mostly the cast members, you know) sitting around watching Palin's acceptence speech. Then they all turn around and stare at Tina Fey. She's like, "What? Do I have something in my teeth? Wait. No. Oh, no." And they're all like, "Yes. Oh, yes." She's going to be stuck with people remembering her spot-on parody forever.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I doubt they turned and stared at Fey, since she isn't even officially working there anymore... :anxious:
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Don't rain on Jugglah's parade, Top! :x
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Oh. No, I didn't know that, Top. Well, I'm sure she was there in spirit :anxious: