Palin/Biden Debate

Thoughts?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Palin/Biden Debate

Post by Jugglah »

Well, the VP debate is done now, and we can all heave a sigh of relief. The world has not ended yet.

I thought that Palin was personable, concise, and surprisingly knowledgable, considering what people have been saying about her inexperience. On the other hand, I thought Biden was condescending and tended to run off at the mouth about his favorite subject: "bad Bush administration policy", or better yet, nothing at all.

What say you?
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I just wasted a half hour of my evening. :(

But Palin was cool... I especially appreciated all her references to Alaska. Wooton would be proud! \:D/
Jugglah wrote:What say you?
We will fight! :x
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Trent wrote:We will fight! :x
Yes! We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...oh wait. Wrong politician.
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

I say everyone here is a Republican, so why bother bringing it up? To feel better about picking a candidate based on traditional party lines? :p
Last edited by KristopherWindsor on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:)
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I'd say traditional is good, considering that this country has a history of some pretty good traditions, like 200 years of freedom and justice (I'm not saying there haven't been hiccups, but overall...). But I wouldn't say that Palin is exactly traditional. I mean, she talks like no politician I've ever seen.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Drill, Baby! Drill! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I totally loved the debate \:D/

I love how straighforward and non-political Sarah Palin is. There were a few things she said that I disagreed with and there were a few things Biden said that I did agree with.

And I don't vote based on traditional party lines :noway: I vote based on the issues...and more often than not, I happen to agree with the Republican side
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

KristopherWindsor wrote:I say everyone here is a Republican, so why bother bringing it up?
I say it's not correct to assume. I'm not affiliated with a party. :noway:

And I didn't watch this debate either, so I have nothing productive to add to this conversation! But I actually did hear about it in advance, unlike the last! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yeah, I wouldn't assume everyone here is a Republican or going to vote for the Republican ticket. I'm not voting for either the Dems or Republicans. O:)

I saw the first 40 minutes or so of the debate...I didn't really care for either of them. Since I already know I'm not voting for them, I left halfway through to do other things. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

My thoughts are that I wish I had been coherent enough to watch it last night. I saw two minutes of it in the middle before going to bed...having a cold kind of fogs up my brain.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Palin did alright. I wasn't blown away or anything, though.

Biden, though, truly lied like there was no tomorrow! \:D/ There are always statements that can be called into question from both candidates in a debate, but they had a long list of things Biden said that weren't even disputable... he just flat out lied. \:D/

I am voting for Perot/Stockdale so I don't really care anyway. :noway:
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

TC wrote:Palin did alright. I wasn't blown away or anything, though.

Biden, though, truly lied like there was no tomorrow! \:D/ There are always statements that can be called into question from both candidates in a debate, but they had a long list of things Biden said that weren't even disputable... he just flat out lied. \:D/

haha \:D/

Everytime Biden said something that was totally false, my dad would yell "AAHG! THAT IS SO NOT TRUE!!" \:D/ It was funny...
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Christina wrote:
TC wrote:Palin did alright. I wasn't blown away or anything, though.

haha \:D/

Everytime Biden said something that was totally false, my dad would yell "AAHG! THAT IS SO NOT TRUE!!" \:D/ It was funny...
:hilarious: I can so totally see your dad doing that. :hilarious:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I missed the debate (but it's ok, b/c I missed it to play music \:D/ )--could folks give me examples of some of what Biden said that wasn't true?
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Let me rephrase that... either you're Republican, or you aren't voting, or you are voting for some minority party that doesn't stand a chance... :p
:)
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

KristopherWindsor wrote:
I say everyone here is a Republican, so why bother bringing it up? To feel better about picking a candidate based on traditional party lines? :p
Yeah, I'm not a Republican. :anxious: I'm an Independant, and I believe there are some Libertarian and Democrat-ish people on here as well.

EDIT:
KW wrote:Let me rephrase that... either you're Republican, or you aren't voting, or you are voting for some minority party that doesn't stand a chance...
I'm voting for a third party. I have no illusions about their chance of victory--it is nil.

But that is not the reason I'm voting. I'm voting because I want to send a message saying that I am displeased with the Democratic Party and with the way the Republican Party has nose-dived.

I'm well aware that my candidate has no chance of winning. I'm also aware that I can't in good conscious vote for either major party candidate. And news flash--you can vote for other people besides the major party candidates!
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Jonathan wrote:I missed the debate (but it's ok, b/c I missed it to play music \:D/ )--could folks give me examples of some of what Biden said that wasn't true?
He mentioned that humans are fully responsible for climate change! \:D/
Oh, and he said he wanted to answer a question more, but couldn't because the little light was blinking at him, lol. \:D/

Palin did very nicely. I think she did win, although there were a few minuses for her because she clung to energy and McCain at the beginning of the debate like those two things were the Rock of Gibralter. Other than that, I think she did fine. (I don't have any problem with talking about energy, however.) I saw some of the fire she had in her acceptance speech, but not all of it.

"The quote is, 'Drill, Baby, Drill,' Senator."
Biden was lying like the world was about to end, though. He made Former President Clinton proud last night!
Something you probably never knew about Senator Biden: he shops at Home Depot. :-$
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Oh yes...he spends LOTS of time at Home Depot \:D/

Well I hate Home Depot :noway:

Lowe's pwns
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Kairi wrote:, although there were a few minuses for her because she clung to energy and McCain at the beginning of the debate like those two things were the Rock of Gibralter.
heh, that reminds me; in class this morning the guy next to me was reading news on his laptop, and the story he was reading had a word cloud on Palin's comments last night. McCain was by far the largest ;)
Kairi wrote:Something you probably never knew about Senator Biden: he shops at Home Depot. :-$
Those stores are a lot of fun ;) Not too wild about the company at large though.
Dr. Watson wrote:And news flash--you can vote for other people besides the major party candidates!
On that note, I've been reminded of you while reading the newspaper every day this election season.

edit--

pfffsh, Kait, all stores like that are fun :noway:
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

I was not impressed with Palin's performance, though I didn't really expect to be. Perhaps the overabundance of folksy charm played well in the Rust Belt (though I'm not convinced), but it did nothing to reassure me of her competence to hold the office she seeks. Too often, she substituted folksy aphorisms and stock responses (Maverick! Surge! Drill!) for considered opinions, and while this is a talent not unknown to politicians, she used it to such excess as to be highly disturbing. I struggle to recall more than a question or two -- if that -- which she answered completely.

She pulled off something I did not wish to believe possible: in the course of no more than thirty seconds, she managed a and I'm fairly certain that she managed to squeeze in "Say it ain't so, Joe," "there you go again," "doggone it," and "God bless 'er, her reward is in heaven, right?" -- thereby setting a new record for the most faux folksy aphorisms in one answer. And, as mentioned by others, she barely were these words out of her mouth before she gave a shout-out to her brother's third grade class.

Even on those rare occasions where she eschewed the "aw shucks" style, her manner was circuitous, and at the end, one slowly realizes that she didn't really say anything. The only thing she was even somewhat clear on was that she's evidently okay with the Addison-Cheney conception of the vice presidency, and accepts it as her responsibility to aggrandize power to the office, not work within its narrow constitutional parameters.

On domestic policy, she came out essentially unscathed only because Biden seemed bored and lifeless. (But then, of course, we're talking about Joe Biden.) On foreign policy, however, the chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations came alive and ran circles around Palin, whose answers became increasingly confused. On Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran, the undecided voter is very likely to conclude that he would rather have Joe Biden advising the President.

No, Biden was not without his gaffes and miscues. He often seemed to forget about Barack Obama, who does, after all, have an important position on the ticket. His assertion that he's always been for clean coal is demonstrably false. The claim that he'll be in the room with Obama whenever there is an important decision to be made should certainly raise some eyebrows.

But, doggone it and say it ain't so, Joe won this debate hands down.

Oh, and Gov. Palin? McClellan was involved in the Peninsula Campaign and led the Union Army at Antietam. That guy in Afghanistan who, yes, said that a surge strategy would be largely ineffective? That would be Gen. McKiernan.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."