Weird computer thing

A little help from my friends

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Weird computer thing

Post by Catspaw »

I just had to shut my computer down because a ton of pages kept opening up faster than I could close them - nothing showed up on any of the pages, as far as I saw, but I'm also on dial-up, so I don't know if stuff just didn't have time to load. I was on the ToO, Facebook and fanfiction.net, nothing unusual, and I don't ever remember having that problem before.

My brother thinks that a key was stuck, but I don't think that was it. Should I be concerned about something malicious happening with my laptop?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

What do you mean by "a ton of pages"? Like pop-up ads? Random applications?
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Dozens of pages kept opening up at the same time - they weren't smaller pop-up ads - they filled the whole screen. I don't know if they had anything on them because nothing loaded while I saw them, but I was just clicking away at the red "x" in the top corner, so I don't know if something was eventually loading on the ones I wasn't getting rid of as quickly. They looked like blank internet explorer pages to me.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:They looked like blank internet explorer pages to me.
Ah. Do you recall what you did prior this happening?

My immediate guess would be that you have some sort of bug on your system, but I'm not tech savvy enough to be determine the source. :( I usually just head over to Tech Guy Forums, post my dilemma, and wait for someone to reply. ;) They are usually pretty quick!
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

It depends on whether the pages opened were malware / ads, or your "new window" button was stuck. ;)
:)
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Catspaw wrote:I just had to shut my computer down because a ton of pages kept opening up faster than I could close them - nothing showed up on any of the pages, as far as I saw, but I'm also on dial-up, so I don't know if stuff just didn't have time to load. I was on the ToO, Facebook and fanfiction.net, nothing unusual, and I don't ever remember having that problem before.

My brother thinks that a key was stuck, but I don't think that was it. Should I be concerned about something malicious happening with my laptop?
This happens to me sometimes to.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

That happens to me, too. A billion new tabs start appearing, usually of the last page I was on and tried to close. I have to frantically hit the x button over and over, and finally the onslaught stops. :-k It's only started happening recently...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

It might be because of spyware.

Also, ctrl + w is a handy little shortcut.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for making me close my ToO window, Samwise. ;) Very cool! I didn't know that shortcut.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It hasn't happened again, fortunately.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You should just get a Mac. :noway:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks to volunteering to buy me one, Trent darling. :inlove: You're too kind.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I've been having a computer issue too. I can't watch any online videos (such as youtube, facebook videos, etc.) as of the last few days as they all load at a snail's pace (translation: hours). Any idea what could be causing this?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Have you been using a different laptop/desktop? If the loading speed is the only problem, then it could likely be your internet connection.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Nope, same laptop, and same wired cable for internet access. It's been a little sketchy lately, though, and now they're all slow. I thought it might have something to do with the connection here at school, but I haven't heard anyone else complain... anything I can do about it?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Besides getting a Mac? :-

Try using someone else's laptop or maybe hit one of the computer labs at your school... just to see if it's a problem with your system. My guess is that your school's network is what's causing the slowdown, but it wouldn't hurt to check for spyware. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Flash player.