The Future of Adventures in Odyssey

Some clarification...

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Peachey Keen wrote:Check out this link http://aio-blog.blogspot.com/2008/08/10 ... iatus.html for my things to do during the hiatus.
That's a pretty good list! \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Thanks Jellyfish11!
Last edited by Peachey Keen on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Peachey Keen wrote:Thanks!

+ word
:D

+ word
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Oh, I hate change. I love the innocence in the old Adventures in Odyssey, the honest struggles of the Barkley family, the reporting of Lucy, the great times with all the Odyssey kids at school. The wisdom and complete understanding of Whit, the soap-opera-like drama with Connie and Mitch, the sarcastic humor by Tom and Bernard, most often as the high-tech Eugene. The entertainment of listening to Rodney and the Bones of Wrath, Bart and his money-making schemes, the sweetness of Mandy as an eight-year-old, the amazing inventions created by Whit at Whit's End, the great adventures of Odyssey with villains like Dr. Regis Blackgaard, and the never-changing belief that God will work it out in the end. This is the Adventures in Odyssey that grew up loving, that I rushed home everyday at 6:00 to listen to, that I woke up every Saturday morning to hear the new and exciting Adventures in Odyssey! =D>

But, I must say. What has been played recently falls somewhat short of that perfection as the greatest radio drama ever. The Washingtons are alright, Grady is sometimes entertaining, and some of the new stuff is good. Perhaps I'm just growing up, or perhaps I just hate change, but I want deeply that Odyssey remain a classic, don't evolve as the world does, not get rid of favorite and classic characters, and you'll stay as the greatest radio drama is the history of the world. :D
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

American Eagle wrote:the soap-opera-like drama with Connie and Mitch
Sorry, but Connie and Mitch is a really new-school storyline.

I know, it's hard for long time listeners to see old characters leave especially when the new ones aren't quite as good. I think it's also hard for us teenagers who grew up on the show to gradually grow out of the target audience and become die-hard adult fans.

Don't worry, there is no way that AIO will ever be passed as the greatest radio drama in all of history!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

American Eagle wrote:But, I must say. What has been played recently falls somewhat short of that perfection as the greatest radio drama ever. The Washingtons are alright, Grady is sometimes entertaining, and some of the new stuff is good. Perhaps I'm just growing up, or perhaps I just hate change, but I want deeply that Odyssey remain a classic, don't evolve as the world does, not get rid of favorite and classic characters, and you'll stay as the greatest radio drama is the history of the world. :D
To be honest, I am the total opposite. I love how the series has changed for the better. I like how the characters changed, how the lessons changed, how the writers changed, I love all of the changes! And I think these last few years have been AIO's best. I love all of the newer characters, especially because I can relate to the kids in the newer eps better than kids in the eps from the 80s.

Change helps you change, and that can be a good thing. I think that AIO is still the best radio drama in the history of the world, changes and all.
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

i look at it this way: the show has been on for so long that they have covered so many subjects that they have to be careful not to repeat themselves again and again.

for those of us who have been with Odyssey since it's beginnings, we have hundreds and hundreds of hours of episodes to revisit and enjoy again and again.

bringing in new characters and storylines can only help the series because it creates new interesting situations and storylines that need "new blood".

i do think that they need to bring back the whole Mitch/Connie storyline, get Connie married and feature her as an adult Christian role model. surely they can find other actors to bring in to fill her place as the "teenager" liason between the adults and kids on the show.

Connie's character could really expand and grow if they would just let her finally "grow up".
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

NO! No no no no no no! :mad: Connie can' grow up! She's the eternal teenage buddy of the show! If they made her any more mature, then she wouldn't be able to connect to the kids in the same way! 'Tis just part of her personality, deal with it. :noway:

And now my hissy fit is over.
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Sorry, but Connie and Mitch is a really new-school storyline.

I know, it's hard for long time listeners to see old characters leave especially when the new ones aren't quite as good. I think it's also hard for us teenagers who grew up on the show to gradually grow out of the target audience and become die-hard adult fans.

Don't worry, there is no way that AIO will ever be passed as the greatest radio drama in all of history!
I just registered to say, I agree with this post. :D
:)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Sorry, but Connie and Mitch is a really new-school storyline.

I actually like the newer characters better; they are easier to relate to because they're kids who have 'grown up' in the twenty-first century just like us. The other ones technichally grew up in the eighties and ninties, so I don't find them as relatable.

And KBT, I fail to see what is so hard about being an above target range fan. Your friends think it's little kidish, big deal. I already have to face that.
KristopherWindsor
Not as new

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Amethystic wrote:And KBT, I fail to see what is so hard about being an above target range fan.
To me, the story now seems less real, and some of the drama (IE Eugene's dad) seems a bit fake.
Also, comparing your problems to kid's problems make your life seem even harder. :P :)
:)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

KristopherWindsor wrote:
Amethystic wrote:And KBT, I fail to see what is so hard about being an above target range fan.
To me, the story now seems less real, and some of the drama (IE Eugene's dad) seems a bit fake.
Also, comparing your problems to kid's problems make your life seem even harder. :P :)
I like the adventures, even when they are out of this world. That's what makes it so cool sometimes. It still is as awesome to me today as it was when I was ten.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Amethystic wrote:I actually like the newer characters better; they are easier to relate to because they're kids who have 'grown up' in the twenty-first century just like us. The other ones technichally grew up in the eighties and ninties, so I don't find them as relatable.
I suppose it should be that way for me too, but I can relate to the older kid characters much better than most of the new ones.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

Fall 2009!New Odyssey?I'll be OLD by then! Well.......older. Do you know how much will happen in that amount of time? Ahhhhhhhhh!
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Arla wrote:Fall 2009!New Odyssey?I'll be OLD by then! Well.......older. Do you know how much will happen in that amount of time? Ahhhhhhhhh!
Only a year to go!

Man, I'll be a Senior.. probably be looking forward to Senior Survival.. OH NO! I'll be on Senior Survival when a new episode plays! NO FAIR!

I'll also be able to drive and have my own car.. but still, not 17 yet... and I'll probalby own the new version of DBD and album 19, and any others... plus, own the movie TDK... hmm... and have held my BF's hand.. wow, I'm ambitious like he is! WOW! I can't wait!
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

American Eagle wrote:Oh, I hate change. I love the innocence in the old Adventures in Odyssey, the honest struggles of the Barkley family, the reporting of Lucy, the great times with all the Odyssey kids at school. The wisdom and complete understanding of Whit, the soap-opera-like drama with Connie and Mitch, the sarcastic humor by Tom and Bernard, most often as the high-tech Eugene. The entertainment of listening to Rodney and the Bones of Wrath, Bart and his money-making schemes, the sweetness of Mandy as an eight-year-old, the amazing inventions created by Whit at Whit's End, the great adventures of Odyssey with villains like Dr. Regis Blackgaard, and the never-changing belief that God will work it out in the end. This is the Adventures in Odyssey that grew up loving, that I rushed home everyday at 6:00 to listen to, that I woke up every Saturday morning to hear the new and exciting Adventures in Odyssey! =D>

But, I must say. What has been played recently falls somewhat short of that perfection as the greatest radio drama ever. The Washingtons are alright, Grady is sometimes entertaining, and some of the new stuff is good. Perhaps I'm just growing up, or perhaps I just hate change, but I want deeply that Odyssey remain a classic, don't evolve as the world does, not get rid of favorite and classic characters, and you'll stay as the greatest radio drama is the history of the world. :D
I miss the old Odyssey. I miss the characters that I grew up on. (although I do love Wooton!) I miss Eugene, his getting married means he's rarely in the shows anymore, as well as Jack. I have to agree with you. We always timed our meals around Odyssey just so we could listen and I always got up early on Saturdays to listen. Odyssey is still my favorite radio program but I still miss the old characters. comes with growing up I guess.....I miss Jared and his wild imagination. Lourance (sp?), who had been my favorite, Mitch and his "rules is boring", and all the old ones. I love the new ones; Wooton, Grady, and all but I miss the old ones too.
(and what ever happened to Butch???) The Bones of Rath have practically vanished, sad to say, although there is still Max. (although he isn't that much of a bully....)
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:and have held my BF's hand.. wow, I'm ambitious like he is! WOW! I can't wait!
You haven't held your boyfriend's hand? :-s Maybe that has something to do with you wanting to kiss girls.
StrongNChrist wrote:(and what ever happened to Butch???) The Bones of Rath have practically vanished, sad to say, although there is still Max. (although he isn't that much of a bully....)
I think one of the reasons the Bones of Wrath haven't been around in a while is Rodney's actor. I'm not sure, but I think Steve Burns (also the voice of Mitch) is too busy for AIO. Don't quote me on this one, 'cause again, I'm definetly not sure, but it would explain him not being in a show for several years.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

that might be it. a reasonable explanation. and Rodney is an adult now.....(I hate change) [/b]
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Do you mean the character or the actor? The character is still a kid and the actor has always been an adult. (well, not always, but since he's been working for AIO)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

didn't the character grow up, 'cause he was around when Jimmy was and Jimmy's an adult now.... :?