The Olympics are coming and I feel old!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arla
Popsicle kid

The Olympics are coming and I feel old!

Post by Arla »

So the Olympics technically start today, which I love because the olympics rule! I love to watch all I can like those little known sports, but I especially watch gymnastics because that's my thing. At the end of evey olympics my sister and I calculate what our ages will be when the next one comes around and them we feel old. What is the first olympic games that you remember? Mine is Nagano,Japan 1998. I remember the skating because that is what my sister and my mother like to watch. At the end of these games? Yea I'll be feeling old.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

For whatever reason the first Olympics I really remember were the 96 ones in Atlanta... not sure why I never paid attention before then. ;) But meh I really don't care for the Olympics, its mostly boring sports they do. And now that I don't have cable its basically all that will be available to watch for the next couple weeks. :noway:
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I totally agree. I remember when all the athletes started being my age or younger, I started feeling really old and like I hadn't accomplished much. :(

I'm not sure which summer olympics I remember first, but I know I remember the 1984 winter games. I remember being on vacation up in Tahoe at the time and watching lots of ice skating. Also my family had a friend (Richard Dalley) that was in ice dancing that year.

I'm definitely watching the opening ceremony tonight! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

GO USA!!! :thewave:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Top Crusader wrote:For whatever reason the first Olympics I really remember were the 96 ones in Atlanta... not sure why I never paid attention before then. ;) But meh I really don't care for the Olympics, its mostly boring sports they do. And now that I don't have cable its basically all that will be available to watch for the next couple weeks. :noway:
I went to that one! \:D/
milkandeggs
29K to go!

Post by milkandeggs »

The first one I remember was the 96 summer Olympics, I think it was in Atlanta? I was watching when Kerri (I don't remember her last name) sprained her ankle really bad, then went and did her routine, and the USA ended up winning the gold. That was AWESOME to watch.

I really like watching the Olympics, as much as I'm able to.

And (*gasp*) I'll be 24 when the next summer olypics come around. Eeeek.
Eugene Meltsner? I don't think so. Secret agents wear sunglasses and drive around in cool cars. Eugene wears coke-bottle glasses and rides around on a bike.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'll be 30, yay! \:D/
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

I'll be *gasp* /me feels old....... 17!!!!! That's as old as my sis (chocolate) is!! And she's getting married this year!
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

The first one I remember was the Barcelona Olympics. I was about 6 or so...
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Yeah. My first one I remember was Nagano, too!! I remember watching the opening ceremony with my sister and was all excited because it was the OLYMPICS.... I think it helped that Cool Runnings was my favorite movie and it's of course about the winter Olympics...
I do what I do.
milkandeggs
29K to go!

Post by milkandeggs »

The Opening Ceremony last night was awesome...I watched the whole thing. (Yes, I have no life. At home watching the Olympics on a Friday night. :) ) My favorite was the one part with all those blocks, and when they moved, they looked like waves and stuff. The guys in the green suits were cool too. And the drums...and...well, I'll just stop now. ;)
Eugene Meltsner? I don't think so. Secret agents wear sunglasses and drive around in cool cars. Eugene wears coke-bottle glasses and rides around on a bike.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I vaguely remember the '98 Olympics. But I didn't really get into the craze fest until the '02 Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

Now I try to watch as much as I possibly can. Image
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

milkandeggs wrote:The Opening Ceremony last night was awesome...I watched the whole thing. (Yes, I have no life. At home watching the Olympics on a Friday night. :) ) My favorite was the one part with all those blocks, and when they moved, they looked like waves and stuff. The guys in the green suits were cool too. And the drums...and...well, I'll just stop now. ;)
Yeah we only watched untill about half-way through the parade of Nations and then we were done. :)
And the opening ceremony was awesome!! I just hate to think of how they wasted $300 million on it, when people all over the nation of China and around the world are starving and living on less than $2 a day. :(
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Alas. Yes I feel old (I always feel old, regardless of whether or not I'm thinking about the Olympics), but since we don't have a television, we get to watch the scattered clips that people have managed to sneak onto YouTube. :(
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Frank wrote:Alas. Yes I feel old (I always feel old, regardless of whether or not I'm thinking about the Olympics), but since we don't have a television, we get to watch the scattered clips that people have managed to sneak onto YouTube. :(
It's streaming live on nbc.com
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

ek wrote:
Frank wrote:Alas. Yes I feel old (I always feel old, regardless of whether or not I'm thinking about the Olympics), but since we don't have a television, we get to watch the scattered clips that people have managed to sneak onto YouTube. :(
It's streaming live on nbc.com
Why do I not have more EK in my life? :-k

Thank you. \:D/
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

But you have to type in your zipcode (no problem) and your TV service provider (bad). What about poor people like who don't have a TV service provider? That's like the whole reason I'm getting on NBC... :anxious:
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I am old.

I remember the '76 Winter Olympics. :shock: I was sooo entranced by Dorothy Hamill. I even had the Hamill hair.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I feel so young.

I only remember the last set of summer olympics, these ones, and a bit of winter olympics here and there...

And I think most of the people on the ToO are older than me!

For once, I am the baby of a bunch! :D
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Speaking of the olympics. What do you say about Michael Phelps. You think he's gonna get all the gold medals? I sure do. He schooled his world record in the medley by 2 seconds.
I do what I do.