Fellow Baptists...

..where are thou?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

v-lady wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:I am not a Baptist. Although strangely, Baptists like me. :D

I am an Independent Non-Denominational Christian.
Baptist like you? :-s What do you exactly mean by that?
I think he means that people who are Baptists like him, as in they're his friends or like being around him. :)
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

Catspaw wrote:
v-lady wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:I am not a Baptist. Although strangely, Baptists like me. :D

I think he means that people who are Baptists like him, as in they're his friends or like being around him. :)
thats what i meant.... kinda.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I'm a Mennonite! Am I the only one of that denomination? :-k

I never feel alone on here, because I just remember denomination has nothing to do with you all being my brothers and sisters in Christ.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Catspaw wrote:
v-lady wrote:

Oh...ok. :D
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Lord_Kappa wrote:I'm a Mennonite! Am I the only one of that denomination? :-k

I never feel alone on here, because I just remember denomination has nothing to do with you all being my brothers and sisters in Christ.
i thought mennonites didn't have computers?
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

You're probably thinking of Old Order Mennonites and the Amish. ;) They are the ones with horse drawn buggies and no electricity. There are many Mennonites who are not Old Order, though...I know several, and they all have computers, cars, electricity, etc. ;)

LK and J-man, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Laura Ingalls wrote:You're probably thinking of Old Order Mennonites and the Amish. ;) They are the ones with horse drawn buggies and no electricity. There are many Mennonites who are not Old Order, though...I know several, and they all have computers, cars, electricity, etc. ;)

no. friends of ours are mennonites and they don't have computers nor t.v.'s. so i figured you were the same.

sorry.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm not Mennonite - I was only saying what I know of the different kinds of Mennonites. \:D/ You'll have to ask either Lord Kappa or J-man about what exactly they believe.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Laura Ingalls is right, Old-Order mennonites would not be allowed to own computers.

There are so many different types of mennonite that it's impossible to understand what someone who says, "I'm a mennonite" really believes unless you ask specific questions.

J-man, you're a follower of Meno Simons?
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Iron and Light wrote:I am a non-denomination Christian. Basically, a follower of the Lord, Jesus lover, and Jesus freak \:D/. I hate the words 'religion' and 'denomination' ;).
I am with you. Although I grew up in the Baptist church and agree with most (but not all) of their doctrine, I hate to be under any particular denomination. God didn't create denominations... we did. Most modern-day denominations didn't even spring up until after the reformation when all the protestants started arguing with each other over the finer points of doctrine. Think about how much more we could do in this world for the Lord is the entire church was united as one. :-k
emmywepfan wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:You're probably thinking of Old Order Mennonites and the Amish. ;) They are the ones with horse drawn buggies and no electricity. There are many Mennonites who are not Old Order, though...I know several, and they all have computers, cars, electricity, etc. ;)

no. friends of ours are mennonites and they don't have computers nor t.v.'s. so i figured you were the same.

sorry.
When I went to Ohio last year I saw a sign that looked similar to a "deer crossing" sign. But instead of showing the silhouette of a deer, it was the silhouette of a horse and buggy. It made me laugh. :D

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

You should watch Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" video. It's a funny song about amish people. And I think it has one of those signs in it.
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Lord_Kappa wrote:You should watch Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" video. It's a funny song about amish people. And I think it has one of those signs in it.
Unfortunitly, i have watched it already. It was halarious! :D
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I'm a Southern Baptist. Although, I think my church is more "reformed" than a lot of Southern Baptist churches. Which is a good thing.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Donna Blackbeard wrote:i am an....okay deep breath...

independent....
fundemental.....
bible believing.....
king james only.....
pulput pounding.....
rampage preaching.....
baptist.
Ditto I go to a Baptist-Home Church, though.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Samwise wrote:That's nothing, I promote pulpit heaving! :yes:
Yeah. My church has a spit row as well. JK

I am a Baptist. I believe in salvation by faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and in obedience and public admission by baptism. Baptism doesn't save anyone (unfortunately, some people think this). My church is not a member of any convention, but as the pastor puts it:
Pastor wrote:We are baptistic in practice
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Jugglah wrote:I'm a Southern Baptist. Although, I think my church is more "reformed" than a lot of Southern Baptist churches. Which is a good thing.
Yeah, there's a smaller, more conservative wing (The Founders Ministry) of the Southern Baptist denomination that is generally more reformed. E.g. Al Mohler, Thomas Ascol, and Thomas Nettles.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

My sister's family is Baptist. So I guess that's something. ;)
Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

I'm Southern Baptist. My mother was a Lutheran and my father a Methodist (sort of) before they both decided that they would join the Baptist Church when they married.
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Mandy0815 wrote:I'm Southern Baptist. My mother was a Lutheran and my father a Methodist (sort of) before they both decided that they would join the Baptist Church when they married.
Out of curiosity, what Lutheran denomination was your mother a part of?
Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

I don't know what denomination of Luthern my mother was. I just know that she was Lutheran. I'll ask her about it.
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.