Brooks Institute of Photography...I have been accepted!!

California here I come! \:D/

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Brooks Institute of Photography...I have been accepted!!

Post by Kait »

yay! After lots of paperwork, 4 hours on the phone, 2 interviews, a large application fee and much anticipation, I have been accepted to the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California! \:D/

I'm supposed to start this fall (September) in the Visual Journalism program at the Ventura Campus.

So yay, me! I'll be living in Ventura, California...:anxious:

Does anyone have any college advice for me? Advice for living on my own? Advice for making the amount of money I'll need to live there while being a full time student? :anxious: Anything at all?

I'll pretty much be relying on my own means for college :p with three other kids, and one income, my family can't afford to help me out too much. So any financial advice will be helpful, too. Especially from any of you who have experience being poor college kids :-k

And if any of you are ever in the that area after this fall, I would definitely be interested in possibly getting together \:D/

Also your prayers would be appreciated as I try and figure out stuff, and make this transition to living on my own. \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Congratulations! \:D/ I hope you have fun!

Alas, though, I cannot offer any advice, having not experienced the happiness and joy that is college and/or living on my own. :(

I'll be praying for you! \:D/
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Hey...congratulations, Christina! Sounds like an exciting major! \:D/

Advice...um....
Try to look for a job on campus if possible. Since everyone else is looking for the same, it may be a little more difficult, but it's much more convenient because it's right on campus and they will understand your school schedule a little better if you need to take time off to finish a major project or something. Also if your school has it and you're eligible, you may be able to participate in some sort of work-study program.

Don't bring a car if it's possible...at least not your first year. As nice as it is to go where you want when you want, they add a lot more expense and hassle (parking, gas, insurance, etc). Explore the area to see if things like churches, the grocery story, convenience store, pharmacy, places to eat, etc. are with-in walking distance, see if your school offers a shuttle of some sort, and check into what kind of public transportation your city offers.

This one's probably pretty obvious, but get in contact with your roommate with more than just who will bring the basic necessities. Call or facebook her and try to get to know each other before living together.

No matter how prepared you are or how ready you are to leave home, the first few weeks living on your own will be hard. As you start getting involved and getting to know people though, you'll find college life to be a lot of fun! Until then, hang in there and definitely try to get involved in stuff on campus. Also, see if there's a Campus Crusade for Christ, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, or other Christian organization on campus you can get involved in...or even just a Bible study.

I'm sure everyone else will add a lot more and I'll probably think of more later, but again... Congratulations! :D
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Yay! Go Christina! I knew you could do it. \:D/

And as one of the people visiting right now would say, "Be a bum!" \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Congratulations, Christina, that's awesome! \:D/ I'm sure that you'll have a great time there! I think that you've already gotten some good advice here. I know that you're going to enjoy your time at school!
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

That's awesome Christina!! It sounds like a ton of fun and I'll praying for you and your success.
\:D/
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Congratulations, Christina! \:D/ Oh, to be young and off to college for the first time. Oh wait, that was just two years ago. You will be living in a great state. Well, the top part is great - I don't know about the rest ;)
MajorSplendor
Sing in the sunshine

Post by MajorSplendor »

Congrats,girl!! :thewave: :dance: I will be praying for you!

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

You're going to do great there I'm sure, you certainly have the talent for it. Really the only thing I recommend is to continually make an effort to trust totally in God. If it wasn't for Him, I would have ran out of money years ago (I came to Liberty University in 2005 for those who didn't know).

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

YAY...congrats babe :D :D :D :D :D :D
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
greencardigan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by greencardigan »

Congrats! =D> Living in California sounds like fun.
Who do I belong To? Not Earth, Not world, Not Evil, Not mortals, Not wretches, Not horrors

Who do I belong to? Unchanging. Unbreaking. Unfailing. Creator. Immortal. Eternal

Surrender to the sound.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Congratulations, Christina! I hope you enjoy your time there, it definitely sounds like the place for you!

My brother (Ayn Rand) went to college last year, so here's a hint from him: Make a checklist of everything you need before you leave home (Bible, Food, etc.).

I'll be praying for you!
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Also, for the sake of packing, a good rule of thumb is to not pack what you can buy when you get there (shampoo, toothbrush, textbooks, etc).

Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

That reminds me...if you can, you may want to try to buy your textbooks online or from others at your school rather than from the school itself. (Sell those that you don't plan to keep the same way.) Most school bookstores are somewhat expensive and don't offer you much money for selling your books back. :p (At least at the two schools I've attended...)
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Homeward bound wrote:That reminds me...if you can, you may want to try to buy your textbooks online or from others at your school rather than from the school itself. (Sell those that you don't plan to keep the same way.) Most school bookstores are somewhat expensive and don't offer you much money for selling your books back. :p (At least at the two schools I've attended...)
Yeah that's true. Ebay or bookfinder.com is the way to go.