Mac vs. PC

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do you like the Mac or the PC?

Mac
43%
PC
57%

Total votes: 51

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

They are clearly delusional. :noway:

Seriously though, that is interesting. :-k
...I hate marquees.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Lime Static wrote:Doin a bit of Google searching helps haha. :link:

I found out that 2D graphics aren't much affected by graphics cards now-be cause onboard graphics are above the capacity needed for heavy 2d rendering.

Also- I didn't know you could modify macs like that. I thoguht when I mac became outdated, you just buy a new one. That's pretty neat that you can upgrade them.
Ah ok thanks. Not having to buy a graphics card keeps my budget down to the $300 goal.

And I'm not upgrading my mac. I'm completely overhauling the entire system with a new motherboard, processor, and RAM. I already have some hard drives and power supplies so I'll just use those.
I basically only need to use the case of the Power Mac.

As for Mac OS X, if I emulate the EFI kernel, then I can load it in without any problems. (at least in theory)
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

laptop or desktop?
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

A desktop:

My MacBook is fine on most image processing but the processor and RAM sometimes slows down on some higher resolution images. Especially if I'm working on several print work which requires 300+ dpi.
Lime Static
Not as new

Post by Lime Static »

On another note, I just installed Parallels on my cousin's Mac. So essentially my Mac has the advantages of both Mac's and PC. :D
Plus the fact Parallels gives me some cool integration features.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

There's even an open source solution: VirtualBox allows you to run Windows (or Linux) inside Mac OS X. Sun Microsystems recently acquired it so I'm expecting it to improve more.
Lime Static
Not as new

Post by Lime Static »

Nice. I should've gotten that, I'm a big supporter of Open-Source stuff.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Lime Static wrote:Nice. I should've gotten that, I'm a big supporter of Open-Source stuff.
That's what I like to hear. I ran virtual box back in the day, and a few other virtual applications, now that sun has imported it, like Sam said, it should definitely improve.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Samwise wrote:A desktop:

My MacBook is fine on most image processing but the processor and RAM sometimes slows down on some higher resolution images. Especially if I'm working on several print work which requires 300+ dpi.
dude that is the computer i am useing right now! =P~
mike_rowe
I've been here a bit

Post by mike_rowe »

only thing good about pc'z is they r better gaming computers, but macs are the obvious supreme potentate! AMEN? :D
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Heh, that's funny, I was just going to find this thread.. I downloaded Ubuntu and played around in it for a while today (livecd, I didn't install).. I might get hooked on it.. :anxious: I can't get internet to work on it though, I think it has something to do with the fact that you have to download something to get it to work, and it's kinda hard to DL soemthing when your internet doesn't. It has to do with a driver for my wireless card.. I dunno. I feel so newbish.. :-
...I hate marquees.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

J-man wrote:Heh, that's funny, I was just going to find this thread.. I downloaded Ubuntu and played around in it for a while today (livecd, I didn't install).. I might get hooked on it.. :anxious: I can't get internet to work on it though, I think it has something to do with the fact that you have to download something to get it to work, and it's kinda hard to DL soemthing when your internet doesn't. It has to do with a driver for my wireless card.. I dunno. I feel so newbish.. :-
Give me a pm and I can help you straighten it out. It is really pointless though unless you do install, because a lot of times livecd's just don't want to get up with those sorts of things. It isn't a full tester, just a taste.

The new Long Term Support version just came out called hardy heron. I upgraded an older desktop to it last night.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah, I'll most likely end up installing it, I just wanted to mess around with it/get used to it a little bit before I decide if I want too, which most likely I will. I've searched about it a little bit and it seems that wireless cards and graphics cards are the main problems with getting Linux running.. :anxious:

It looks like it should be pretty easy to get the wireless card up and running, but I'm not sure. I suppose I'll find out whenever I install.. :P
...I hate marquees.