Suggestions for episodes

I know you've got plenty of them.

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:It does seem like we haven't heard many WWII stories. (Is "East Winds Raining" the only one?)
The War Hero was a WWII story.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Then a 2-parter on how she died. :noway:
Of cancer.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

shasta wrote:More Episodes with Jack Allen. Anything. Preferably a 2-parter to reveal what happened to Karen.
A two-parter about the death of Jack Allen's wife might be a bit soap operaish. If not that, it would definitely be unnecessary. The super scene in "A Question about Tasha" is enough about Emily; adding on it would only hurt the reality of the program.

I assume "Karen" really meant "Emily"? Or did you mean Clara, Shasta? I think she should be left alone, too. O:)

Dave
Last edited by Dave on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dave wrote:A two-parter about the death of Jack Allen's wife might be a bit soap operaish. If not that, it would definitely be unnecessary. The super scene in "A Question about Tasha" is enough about Emily; adding on it would only hurt the reality of the program.
The suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, Dave. :-$
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

People shouldn't make tongue-in-cheek suggestions without putting the appropriate smilies to warn gullible posters. :noway:
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

but an episode telling us what happened to Lucy.
We will soon. She will be on. VERY EXCITING.
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see more episodes in a similar vein to "The Present Long Ago", but with more time spent in the future as opposed to flashbacks to the present.

Like, a story that has an emphasis on both the present and the future simultaneously, but with equal time spent in both eras. Maybe a mystery of some sort, where kids in the future have to solve a mystery about Odyssey, and during that time, there are flashbacks to the present Odyssey where you see the characters and events that are involved with the "mystery" in question. I could see it working as a mini-series, or perhaps a new show altogether (which wouldn't make it Odyssey, but that might be for the best, and I might have the seeds of a new show idea in the works :P).

For my fellow Tokusatsu fans, it's like what Kamen Rider Kiva is doing now. The actions seen in each episode are split between what is happening to a man in 1986, and similar events that are happening to his son in 2008, and how their stories are intertwined and linked together. You see some things happening with the son that are elaborated on or referenced in some way with his father, and vice versa. Only I want the Odyssey episode(s) to deal with the present and the future, as opposed to the present and the past, get what I mean?

So it's not really like the episode I mentioned, but I just want to hear a story that is partially set in the future, essentially.

That's all the creativity I can muster up now... xD
shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Dave wrote:I assume "Karen" really meant "Emily"? Or did you mean Clara, Shasta? I think she should be left alone, too. O:)
Dave
Yeah, you got it -- I meant Clara. I had intended to look that up before posting, but forgot.

That "She died" comment was very funny :lol:
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I don't think there's ever been a episode about this, but about someone where they are too obsessed with something, and how they get rid of the obsession? That would be interesting...

And yeah, something about Blagaards past would be cool...
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Jessicado wrote:
Nathan Hoobler wrote:
shasta wrote:Preferably a 2-parter to reveal what happened to Karen.
She died.
I know that wasn't supposed to be funny....but that just made me burst out laughing..... :anxious:

EDIT...I think maybe she meant Clara?
Yeah, same here (about the laughing part). I thought we knew what happened to Clara...

EDIT: Wait a minute. Is Jimmy Barclay... that one person who i forget the name of... on the podcast... PLAYS ACTUAL JIMMY BARCLAY?! Man, I've got to stay intune more... maybe not. I'm so confused. And I don't like this idea fo Lucy coming back... Something's wrong with that.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

ILoveRichardMaxwell wrote:I don't think there's ever been a episode about this, but about someone where they are too obsessed with something, and how they get rid of the obsession? That would be interesting...

Actually there was. It was called the Twilife Zone I think..about a rubber chicken that talks...

Danielle - did yo mean David Griffin? I'm a little confused as to what you meant and which podcast? The official one, or unofficial one where he is interviewed?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

JesusFreak777 wrote:
ILoveRichardMaxwell wrote:I don't think there's ever been a episode about this, but about someone where they are too obsessed with something, and how they get rid of the obsession? That would be interesting...

Actually there was. It was called the Twilife Zone I think..about a rubber chicken that talks...

Danielle - did yo mean David Griffin? I'm a little confused as to what you meant and which podcast? The official one, or unofficial one where he is interviewed?
Unofficial, and yeah, I think it is David Griffin... I believe... :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

If you're talking about the user Jimmy Barclay, then you're mistaken... that is not the actor, Dave Griffin. O:)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Trent DeWhite wrote:If you're talking about the user Jimmy Barclay, then you're mistaken... that is not the actor, Dave Griffin. O:)
Thank you Chris. I was wondering.. you are right.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sorry to disappoint you! :(
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

(Before you read the message, I have a bit of a request. Please do not think of this as being insensitive, or a plot by me to stir up a discussion, or an ad hominem attack on Atheists at all. It's just a character suggestion, nothing more. :3)

I have yet another suggestion, which came to me while I was taking a walk in bitter, freezing cold. It's actually a character suggestion, but it could make an enjoyable character arc, at least for me.

Now, this would be a bit controversial, but I want a character who... well, is a character type we haven't seen as strong as I would like it. We've seen bits and pieces of this in Odyssey before, and Grady kind of had a bit of this personality, but I never thought it was done well enough.

Simply put, I want a character who is an Atheist. Not a squishy Atheist, mind you, but a full-on, RRS-type of Atheist. Someone who is just completely opposed to anything Christian or religious or anything of the sort, and has no problems with raising objections to what the main characters say. Some might say that Eugene was that kind of character for awhile, but to me, he was just too nice and polite and never combative enough, and while I appreciate the writers for not making him like that, I would still love to see a new character in that vein.

Just, you know, someone smart, quick-witted, and who could be a worthy antagonist to the main characters. I feel that we haven't had that many anti-Christian antagonists in a long time, if at all, really. I can't think of a similar Odyssey character in order to make a correlation with, but if someone knows of one, feel free to correct me.

I also think it'd be best to make him/her young, like around high school age (considering we don't get many characters introduced at that age). Perhaps with a tragic past, as well?

The only problems I could see with this is that it probably wouldn't relate to younger listeners. But, even then, there have been other episodes that have dealt with even less relative themes, so you never know. People might also get offended, as well, and I definitely think that should be addressed, but shouldn't kill the idea completely, you know? This is an important issue for Christians right now, and I think it should be taken into consideration.

Thoughts? Concerns? Autographs? All are welcome. :3
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Brian Dern is supposedly an atheist on the show...
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Brian Dern is supposedly an atheist on the show...
Ah, yes, that is true, I had forgotten about him. Now that you reminded me, I also recall his exchange with Whit in Real Time, and that's the kind of thing I want to see more of on the show. I can't really see them working Dern into the show in this way, though, considering that he hasn't really been active the last few years (I'd love to see him a lot more, don't get me wrong). I'm proposing more of a main-ish character (like the child actors, in a sense) to be added for a few seasons or so, just to stir things up a bit.

I also forgot to mention this in my initial post, but I also want to see the character working at Whit's End, or perhaps being closely associated with it. Some kind of plot device that will enable him/her to interact with the main characters (which is why I believe a high school age character would be appropriate). :3
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Also, Leonard Meltsner sparred some with Eugene over the past few seasons.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Forte wrote:Simply put, I want a character who is an Atheist. Not a squishy Atheist, mind you, but a full-on, RRS-type of Atheist. Someone who is just completely opposed to anything Christian or religious or anything of the sort, and has no problems with raising objections to what the main characters say. Some might say that Eugene was that kind of character for awhile, but to me, he was just too nice and polite and never combative enough, and while I appreciate the writers for not making him like that, I would still love to see a new character in that vein.
First of all, welcome to the Town of Odyssey, Forte! You've only been a member for a week and yet you've already contributed more thoughtful discussion than I ever have in my many moons on this message board. Maybe you should be a guest on the unofficial podcast so we can get a fresh perspective. ;)

Had you made that suggestion two or three years ago, I probably would have opposed the idea. But now that I think about it, an atheist would make for a great regular character. As Sarah mentioned already, Brian Dern is probably the closest character to an atheist in Odyssey. Leonard was more of a skeptic than an atheist. It's worth noting that introducing an atheist to the program would offer some major opportunities as well as some problems. Obviously, due to the fact that atheism is such a current issue these days, it might be a topic worth covering at some point down the road. Knowing how to approach and communicate with an atheist would also be helpful. On the other hand, I don't know if Odyssey has really ever dabbled in issue of Christianity vs. other religions (including atheism). The only that come to the top of my head are a handful of Biblical imagination station episodes and Hidden In My Heart. It's not really a subject matter that's easy to approach, especially since it's a difficult one to explain to younger audiences. Whereas divorce, abuse, and abortion are issues with which almost everyone can identity, younger listeners might not be able to relate to religion/atheism topics.

But it still would be cool to see. ;)