christian vs. secular

is it wrong?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
risskee
Tallying up

Post by risskee »

Sonshinegirl wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:I think that the best way to determine this is to ask yourself, "If Jesus Christ were sitting beside me, would I feel completely comfortable listening to this song?"
Oh I like that!!!

And jcloverofmysoul, I don't think that's creepy, I think that's awesome! I should put one of those on my TV....
I concur!
Kate is Riss and Riss is Kate!
MajorSplendor
Sing in the sunshine

Post by MajorSplendor »

risskee wrote:
Sonshinegirl wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:I think that the best way to determine this is to ask yourself, "If Jesus Christ were sitting beside me, would I feel completely comfortable listening to this song?"
Oh I like that!!!

And jcloverofmysoul, I don't think that's creepy, I think that's awesome! I should put one of those on my TV....
I concur!
And I concur to her Concurring!! I think....

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Agreed on Jesus sitting there. But, we have to remeber that he is there all the time, if we are Christians, no matter what.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Agreed on Jesus sitting there. But, we have to remeber that he is there all the time, if we are Christians, no matter what.
yeah I know...And if i had something on my TV like that it would remind me, (Though we should have good enough judgement in the first place.)
risskee
Tallying up

Post by risskee »

MajorSplendor wrote:
risskee wrote:
Sonshinegirl wrote:
Oh I like that!!!

I concur!
And I concur to her Concurring!! I think....
I concur to her concuring with my concur! lol ( couldn't resist! lol
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

FrayedAroundTheEdges wrote: in my opinion the whole fakey, happy, cheer up, life will get better feeling of some christian music gets kind of annoying sometimes.
Not all Christian music is like that, mind you. Switchfoot (before they became Alternative Rock) has some really great "real" songs. The song aren't fake. I write songs. If I manage to write something happy, it is real. I am sure it is the same for most Christian artists. Casting Crowns is also really good. And they don't have entirely "fake" songs either.

Ok, back to your actual question. Secular is fine as long as the words are not profane and the meaning is clean.
Do you believe in the couch?
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I listen to mostly secular because the christian radio station that my mom listens to plays songs over and over agina dn it plays songs from like 7 years ago! I hate it. it gets pretty boring after about 2 songs.

But I dislike some of the songs on secular stations because it's mostly rap and hip hop and all they sing about it girls, drugs, and sex!
risskee
Tallying up

Post by risskee »

epic123 wrote: But I dislike some of the songs on secular stations because it's mostly rap and hip hop and all they sing about it girls, drugs, and sex!
That's why I listen to only Christian.
You could try buying the new christian music cds? or mp3s
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

epic123 wrote:I listen to mostly secular because the christian radio station that my mom listens to plays songs over and over agina dn it plays songs from like 7 years ago! I hate it. it gets pretty boring after about 2 songs.

But I dislike some of the songs on secular stations because it's mostly rap and hip hop and all they sing about it girls, drugs, and sex!
Boy, this is starting to sound familiar. ;) I do have one good station I can sorta pull in (works best at night when I'm closer to my radio. Good thing that's when my favorite show is.)

I basically agree with what you guys said, if the lyrics are good, the song is. I listen to mostly Christian stuff, I have some songs that are from secular artists (Sherwood and Mae actually) and I like some songs by The Fray and Daughtry as well as others, can't think of anymore right now. So yeah, I don't have a problem with listening to secular, but I don't listen to a lot of it either.
...I hate marquees.
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

J-man wrote:
epic123 wrote:I listen to mostly secular because the christian radio station that my mom listens to plays songs over and over agina dn it plays songs from like 7 years ago! I hate it. it gets pretty boring after about 2 songs.

Boy, this is starting to sound familiar. ;) I do have one good station I can sorta pull in (works best at night when I'm closer to my radio. Good thing that's when my favorite show is.)

I basically agree with what you guys said, if the lyrics are good, the song is. I listen to mostly Christian stuff, I have some songs that are from secular artists (Sherwood and Mae actually) and I like some songs by The Fray and Daughtry as well as others, can't think of anymore right now. So yeah, I don't have a problem with listening to secular, but I don't listen to a lot of it either.
i luuuv mae! they opened for the fray over the summer
their drummer was ah-mazin!
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

I heard somewhere that they did tests on rats, and the rats that listened to Mozart and such went through the mazes much faster, the rats who didn't listen to any music did averagely well for any normal rat, and the rats that listened to rock music started eating each other! :shock:
There were also many more facts about that in a cd series entitled "The Profound Effects of Music on Life". (They even did tests on plants! \:D/ )
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

If it's worshipping God how can it get boring?
risskee
Tallying up

Post by risskee »

Jonathan wrote:
I agree John but I think shes meaning Vain
Repitition
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Sonshinegirl wrote:I heard somewhere that they did tests on rats, and the rats that listened to Mozart and such went through the mazes much faster, the rats who didn't listen to any music did averagely well for any normal rat, and the rats that listened to rock music started eating each other! :shock:
There were also many more facts about that in a cd series entitled "The Profound Effects of Music on Life". (They even did tests on plants! \:D/ )
Hey! Are you equating humans with rats? :noway:
Jonathan wrote:
It kinda starts to get old, hearing the same songs over and over again. I know how it is, I got so sick of the songs they played on my radio station that I just quit listening. They really need a better selection. The sad thing is, I stopped listening this summer, and they still play half the songs they played then all the time.
...I hate marquees.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

If you're talking about the same five songs and pretty much nothing else, I suppose I can appreciate that--sorta.

I wouldn't know though b/c I don't listen to Christian music stations.
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

J-man wrote:
Sonshinegirl wrote:I heard somewhere that they did tests on rats, and the rats that listened to Mozart and such went through the mazes much faster, the rats who didn't listen to any music did averagely well for any normal rat, and the rats that listened to rock music started eating each other! :shock:
Hey! Are you equating humans with rats? :noway:
Jonathan wrote:
It kinda starts to get old, hearing the same songs over and over again. I know how it is, I got so sick of the songs they played on my radio station that I just quit listening. They really need a better selection. The sad thing is, I stopped listening this summer, and they still play half the songs they played then all the time.
They did tests on people too! The tests with rats were just the most shocking. O:)
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

The people who listened to rock music turned into the rats!:shock:
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Sonshinegirl wrote: They did tests on people too! The tests with rats were just the most shocking. O:)
I could make a joke about that, but I won't. :-# You'll get it if you know where my avator is from...
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

:| Just listen to the CD series ok! :roll: It's entitled "The Profound Effects of Music on Life". It was very interesting. :yes:
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

Is it wrong for a Christian to listen to secular music.
Simply put,
No.
If someone feels that convicted about it,
Then don't.

That was easy.