Role models

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

A woman in my church...I really admire her because she's been a really supportive person to me.
I really don't want myself to look up to people so much that I lose focus of God. Humans are HUMANS, they are fallible and certainly not perfect. However, when you get your eyes off of God and too much on people, you're bound to be disappointed.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

^^ wow...smooth one

;)
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Probably my sister, my mom, my (maternal) grandmother, and one of the youth leaders at my church.

They're all huge inspirations in my life.

They aren't the only ones, but they're the most prominent ones.
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

Jonathan wrote:I've got a question to pose to some of you--for those who list Jesus as one of their role models, why is that? What does that mean? How is he a role model in your life, and how does that affect how you live?
Jesus is my role model because He is perfect, so naturally, I don't have to watch out for stuff he might have done wrong. Of course, I'll never be equal to Him, but still, I read the Bible and try to apply His behavior to my life. For example, being angry without sinning, not being afraid to do what's right, risking your life (without comprimising the truth) for others and for the truth, reverence to God, everything about Jesus is good and perfect, so I want to be like Him. I want to "be holy as He Himself is holy." Why? because He called me to. Jesus is the ultimate defender of truth, the ultimate giver of justice and mercy, the ultimate sacrifice. I want to use every opprotunity I have to be like Him. That's why He's one of my role models.

Answer your question? ;)

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

FrayedAroundTheEdges wrote:^^ wow...smooth one

;)
Thanks, I thought so too \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Answering Jonathan's questions:
for those who list Jesus as one of their role models, why is that?

Becuase he is our God, the one who made us. He is a role model becasue if we strive to be like him, we have peace, and then...how do I put this...we have the kingdom of God? (Okay, I'm saying this all wrong, but it's getting hard to answer.)
What does that mean?

How is he a role model in your life, and how does that affect how you live?

He is a role model in my life in the way that I want to be like him. I want to be nice, friendly, and kind to all of those around me. I want to help people, and I want to lead others to Jesus. I want to strive to be more like him in every way. I'm not perfect, and it is really hard when you've practically got nothing to work with, but I trust that God can help, in every way. And I know I can never be the best or be exactly like him (never), but I can try, and know I am dong what I can.

My role models are: Jesus, Kathy and Bob Parish, BJ Higgins, Matthew West, Tami Bozeman, Aimee Saddler, KLOVE, and My grandma and grandpa Homann.

My parents.... it could differ. I'm kind of different from them (ones a nurse, the other an electrician. I want to be an author, and then they may go to church, but I don't exactly see them reading their Bible or things like that. Things changed when I was with my Aunt and Uncle over the summer. And they don't even go to church...)

My sister (Alisha Richardson Wolfe...) could be considered a role model. It could differ a lot less than my parents. I think I consider her one, yes.

That's about it. It's sad when I can't say I have a pastor that is a role model, and I don't have any youth pastors, or even a youth group. But, hey, I'm all right with that. It wouldn't be any better no matter where I went. I don't have much in the area of chruch and that. It's okay though. I don't exactly have anyone to go to or talk with about my life anyway. I just...

Love, Marisol.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

While on Earth, Jesus atoned for our sins through his substitutionary death on the cross, but also always conducted himself in a way I want to imitate. I fix my eyes on him (Heb 12:1-2) because he demonstrated extreme love (Eph 5:1-2) and compassion (e.g., Mark 8:1-2). He got up early to pray (Mark 1:35). He resisted the devil's temptations with Scripture (Matt 4:1-11). He was humble and obedient (Phili 2:5-8). He lived to do the Father's will (John 6:38), even when his crucifixion was impending (Luke 22:42).

Christ, fully God, is my Savior, but he was also fully man. This affects how I live because I see his life as a human, albeit sinless, which gives me an example to copy. With the Lord's strength, I strive to demonstrate love and compassion, get up early to pray, resist the devil's temptations with Scripture, be humble and obedient, and live to do the Father's will no matter what comes up.

*gives Jonathan a cough drop*
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Speaking of role models, I saw on the news that Britney Spears little sister Jamie-Lynn is pregnant (she's only 16 :shame: ). I had a feeling that'd happen sooner or later by simple virtue of the terrible example Britney has left for her. And to make matters worse, I heard their mom actually has the nerve to write a book on parenting. I'm sure gonna want to buy that book *said in a heavily sarcastic tone*.

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Katrina
friends forever
friends forever

Post by Katrina »

Does anyone have :-k a role model who is on the Town of Odyssey? :hug: :anxious: :anxious:
Katrina
I am an MK and Missionary kids rock!
just a girl!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Katrina wrote:Does anyone have :-k a role model who is on the Town of Odyssey? :hug: :anxious: :anxious:
*points to her post from awhile ago*
Messiah first of all.

Then my parents

Then Windy :inlove:

Then my best friends JIA, Danny, Blipadouzi...
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Ruth
Not as new

Post by Ruth »

My name is Ruth and my role model is the Ruth of the Bible. I hope that I can be a loyal as she was.
Ruth 4 Jesus
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

My role model is Sydney Sellica because she makes her own jam! \:D/
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
MajorSplendor
Sing in the sunshine

Post by MajorSplendor »

Pseudonym wrote:My role model is Sydney Sellica because she makes her own jam! \:D/
ah...well they do say that the way to a guy's heart is through his stomach. (don't ask me who they are,though.) :P

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

My vegetarian best friend. \:D/
Last edited by Kat on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*returns*
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

MajorSplendor wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:My role model is Sydney Sellica because she makes her own jam! \:D/
ah...well they do say that the way to a guy's heart is through his stomach.
Amen to that! :D
I'm hungry right now in fact.

Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

My ultimate role model is Jesus. I wnat to be more like Him each day.
Now for earthly role models it would be my parents, or my youth leader, or like any person who has died for Jesus. Those people are my role models.
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

Movieman wrote:
MajorSplendor wrote:
Why dont you call Sydney Sellica up and get sum jam????
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Oreo wrote:
Movieman wrote:
MajorSplendor wrote:
Why dont you call Sydney Sellica up and get sum jam????
I should, lol.

Katrina
friends forever
friends forever

Post by Katrina »

I have a role model on the Town of Odyssey and its a segret who it is but if you read

http://www.thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=16870&highlight=
you might figure it out and yes you have to read it all to figure it out or just read the end but if you read just he end you will not be able to hear about a very exiting story and scary true strory that you'll never forget. Youl keep reading to with you heart pounding and your palms sweating so don't miss the story intitaled The Most Dangerus, Exiting, and Life Threating Night. I get into the story and the story gets real exiting. You'll never regret reading this story and :eek!: You'll love it. :shocking: =;
Katrina
I am an MK and Missionary kids rock!
just a girl!