Church shooting down at Colorado

Oh my word...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Church shooting down at Colorado

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Everybody, this just came to my attention.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/Wo ... 21013A.xml

That is sad. :( I pray for those whose family members have been flung into the night.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Yeah, I heard about that. It's so sad... I will make sure and keep them in my prayers.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The gunman was identified as Matthew Murray, 24, who was home-schooled in what a friend said was a deeply religious Christian household.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/lif ... 63716.html

Heh. Of course there are exceptions (many on this board) but it seems homeschooling overall leads to trouble. :(
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Top Crusader wrote:Heh. Of course there are exceptions (many on this board) but it seems homeschooling overall leads to trouble. :(
Haha. Are you trying to instigate teh Homeschooling vs. Public Education Debate #351235631253? :shame:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Maybe. O:)
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Heh. Of course there are exceptions (many on this board) but it seems homeschooling overall leads to trouble. :(
Haha. Are you trying to instigate teh Homeschooling vs. Public Education Debate #351235631253? :shame:
Is that all? I thought there were a lot more than that... :-k

;-)
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Alisha Richardson Wolfe
Fourscore and seven

Post by Alisha Richardson Wolfe »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/s ... 61,00.html

This is what makes me wonder what this world has come to.
I like Odyssey. DBD was my favorite saga and I am friends with Eric Delko and prplrane_13. Marisol Delko Caine is my sister. I like Ponybox and listen to Linkin Park and Newsboys.
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

Ah yes. Homeschooling is bad!!1!1
*sighs*
I get tired of that opinion always being pushed.

But it really saddened me to hear about this shooting :(
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

oy_mate wrote:Ah yes. Homeschooling is bad!!1!1
*sighs*
I get tired of that opinion always being pushed.
You're new here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that. With that in mind I'll give you some background.

For years--years!--this community has intermittently argued to death over the merits of homeschooling and publicschooling. And every time, the arguments have been the same. The homeschoolers always come on here and say "Public schooling is wrong--Christian parents shouldn't do this" (there is always a few exceptions to that stereotype) and the public schoolers say "There's pros and cons to both, and whether you do it should depend on the situation" (there's never an exception to that).

So when Top posted that (that link was provided by me, btw), we were saying in a round-about way "You can't stereotype an entire system based on a few rotten apples."

I have nothing against homeschooling, and I wasn't trying to make light of what happened. I'm just tired of not getting the courtesy I give the other side in return. -_-;
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:The homeschoolers always come on here and say "Public schooling is wrong--Christian parents shouldn't do this" (there is always a few exceptions to that stereotype)...
Hm... you said that homeschoolers always make that type of argument. But then you used the words in brackets as a classifier... so which is it? O:)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Jonathan wrote:The homeschoolers always come on here and say "Public schooling is wrong--Christian parents shouldn't do this" (there is always a few exceptions to that stereotype)...
Hm... you said that homeschoolers always make that type of argument. But then you used the words in brackets as a classifier... so which is it? O:)
A few. The word few means a small number. So a few homeschoolers don't say that. A small amount.

And in regards to the word "always", I meant it in the sense that it happens in every thread we've debated it in. I wasn't saying every single person says that, b/c there are a few, a very few, exceptions to that rule.

I was just covering my bases, that's all O:)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Haha, I've gone through enough schooling (I shan't say where! :x) to know the definition of few. :lol:

Anyway, I understand what you were saying... You just should have used something like "almost always" or "often" instead of "always". That's all.

There can't be any exceptions to "always", you see. ;)
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

*cough* grammar freak *cough* :-
Anyway...this is getting a little :offtopic2:

I hadn't heard anything about the shootings...kinda scary....
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Homeward bound wrote:*cough* grammar freak *cough* :-
More like semantics freak. Don't shoot me. :pray:
Alisha Richardson Wolfe
Fourscore and seven

Post by Alisha Richardson Wolfe »

Homeward bound wrote:*cough* grammar freak *cough* :-
Anyway...this is getting a little :offtopic2:
I know I'm not the best at staying on topic (I will admit that my mind wanders and makes some weird connections) but a new thread about homeschooling and public schooling might needed.

BTW has anyone thought about private schooling? (just a suggestion for the new topic should it get started :D )
I like Odyssey. DBD was my favorite saga and I am friends with Eric Delko and prplrane_13. Marisol Delko Caine is my sister. I like Ponybox and listen to Linkin Park and Newsboys.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Haha, I've gone through enough schooling (I shan't say where! :x) to know the definition of few. :lol:
heh, certainly, just wanted to be as specific as possible ;)
Anyway, I understand what you were saying... You just should have used something like "almost always" or "often" instead of "always". That's all.

There can't be any exceptions to "always", you see. ;)
Probably was a better way to put that--but I posted without really checking what I had wrote.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Jonathan wrote:but I posted without really checking what I had wrote.
"...what I had written." would be the correct way to phrase that.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Haha, we really should give Jonathan a break. :lol:
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Yes you definitely should.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Point taken and duly noted. ;)